Check engine light, - 20C, Canadian model

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After many not returned phone calls, three unanswered emails to the service manager and much pushing with mitsubishi Canada the relay from the original check engine light that the dealer waved off as a soft code and a non issue will be replaced. However it is on back order and we are to call back if we haven't heard anything in 10 days. Mitsubishi Canada says it will likely become a recall as there have been a few cases where the relay becomes stuck close and will not open again.

More details on the relay that can't cope with Canadian winters:

There is now a TSB for the issue. They problem relay will have to be replaced with one that can cope with the low temperatures. Unfortunately the replacement relay is too tall to allow the fuse box cover to fit on so the claim is they are working on a replacement fuse box cover as well. The TSB suggests that if the relay must be replaced before the new taller fuse box cover is available then the dealer should tape the old cover on.

It is not clear whether there will be a recall or whether this fix will be driven by complaints by insistent onwers.

The check engine light and the -- instead of range estimates can be temporarily cleared by pulling the 30 amp OID fuse (the one with the fuse puller already on it) when the car is not plugged in.

Hi everyone,

Just went to the dealer this morning for that problem. I live in Québec, and weather is around -15c this morning with a high level of humidity.

Dealer replaced a relay for the condition mentionned in the topics and confirmed that there will be a recall later on this year to replace both relay and relays box.

I may be suffering from this one as well. I made an appointment with the dealership for another issue, then the check engine light came before I dropped it off. I'm in Winnipeg, the car had been sitting for 8 hours outside in about -25°C not plugged in, no preheat. Same thing, dashes on the EV range GOM. Although it warmed up when I dropped off the vehicle and the check engine light turned off. Not sure they'll do anything this round...

The problem occurs even when plugged in with no charger schedule set. Has happened many times on my car in Ottawa - almost anytime the overnight temperature drops below -20C. I usually reset it by pulling the 30 amp fuse with the yellow fuse puller on it. Annoying.

Got the recall done yesterday. - 20c again last night. Finally seeing the battery too cold messages instead of faults. Don't let your dealer bullshit you as mine tried. It is not normal for these vehicles to have fault lights.

I had the message "EV system needs service" (or something like that). Yup, cold temperature. When to the dealer and the service manager gave me the BS line ... then called out his PHEV tech who told me that Mitsu had a fix in the pipeline and it would be issued real soon. He said it was the relay that controls the cooling fan on the main battery. It's warming up now, so maybe I'll be okay 'til the fix arrives :)

ghoti said:
More details on the relay that can't cope with Canadian winters:

There is now a TSB for the issue. They problem relay will have to be replaced with one that can cope with the low temperatures. Unfortunately the replacement relay is too tall to allow the fuse box cover to fit on so the claim is they are working on a replacement fuse box cover as well. The TSB suggests that if the relay must be replaced before the new taller fuse box cover is available then the dealer should tape the old cover on.

It is not clear whether there will be a recall or whether this fix will be driven by complaints by insistent onwers.

The check engine light and the -- instead of range estimates can be temporarily cleared by pulling the 30 amp OID fuse (the one with the fuse puller already on it) when the car is not plugged in.
Hi, do you have the TSB reference no? I have had problems at low temps, below -15C, with "EV SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED" and that ICE wouldn't start. Then I had stop the car and start it again and then ICE would start. I had one relay replaced 1 year ago and then they updated SW a couple of months ago. I am still a bit cautious how my car behaves in low temps.

Sorry I don't have the TSB number for the relay fix. I've bugged my dealer service enough on this they told me I'd be the first person they'd call when they got the relay and new fuse box cover in. So I'll wait for that or for someone else to ask the dealer for more details.

ghoti said:
Sorry I don't have the TSB number for the relay fix. I've bugged my dealer service enough on this they told me I'd be the first person they'd call when they got the relay and new fuse box cover in. So I'll wait for that or for someone else to ask the dealer for more details.
Ok, thanks for your reply. I'll bug my dealer then! :D

Just purchased a 2018 PHEV in Québec at a good price (well, we think).

The dealer said "All TSB's are done" but if anybody has the TSB number? That would be great because maybe this year we won't get anymore -20c but next winter for sure yes!

CoOlSlY said:

The dealer said "All TSB's are done" but if anybody has the TSB number? That would be great because maybe this year we won't get anymore -20c but next winter for sure yes!

Was the relay (I wish I knew which number) in the main fuse box replaced and a new taller fuse box cover supplied? If not you will have trouble once the overnight temperatures go below -20C

ghoti said:
CoOlSlY said:

Was the relay (I wish I knew which number) in the main fuse box replaced and a new taller fuse box cover supplied? If not you will have trouble once the overnight temperatures go below -20C

How can I know if it's the newer fuse box. (I never seen what the old one looks like!)

I still haven't received the new relay nor the new cover so I can't yet provide insight into the differences.

This is the new relay.
131125547_10217592135056462_6709052731270580357_o.jpg

Back