USB socket turns off

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RK16

Hi everybody!
I just noticed that the USB socket turn off its power with the vehicle going off.
I'd really prefer to keep it powered, because I intend to leave my smartphone connected when leaving the car. Is there any hidden setup or other solution to solve this?
Thank you.
BTW: It's a 2019 model.

I imagine that they assume you'll be taking your phone with you when you leave.
I've not tested this, but the 12V socket in the rear (boot) may stay live. You could put a USB adaptor into that if it does (and conceal the phone at the same time.

I would really like the opposite: to be able to optionally select a goodbye message that says "Remove phone" if my smartphone is connected when I turn off the start button.

twosout said:
I've not tested this, but the 12V socket in the rear (boot) may stay live. You could put a USB adaptor into that if it does (and conceal the phone at the same time.
I use the rear 12V socket with a USB adapter in my 2019 4HS to power the rear-view camera when the car is ON. This turns off when I leave the car, which is exactly what I want, but exaclty what the OP doesn't want.

If I wanted to do something like the OP, I'd use a seperate 12V sealed lead-acid battery (the type you use in small UPS systems or burglar alarms) and have this charged via the 12V socket when the car is running, and use it to power a USB adapter all the time, to which you would plug the phone into. Depending on battery capacity, it could give you certainly days, if not weeks of power to the phone, and be charged whenever the car is running.

You could pick up a permanent 12V from the fusebox under the dashboard and use that to feed a charger with a USB socket mounted on one of the spare switch blanks. You can get 12V to USB power modules quite cheaply, just need to wire it up and wrap it in heatshrink or tape.

Thank you all!
Getting a continuous 12V line seems to be a pretty good aproach to keep my smartphone alive (almost in standby).
I'll check if there is some kind of an USB-Y-cable that permanently connects my phone to the car audio system and let me inject 5V for powering the phone at the same time. ;)
Cheers Reiner

rgilyead said:
I would really like the opposite: to be able to optionally select a goodbye message that says "Remove phone" if my smartphone is connected when I turn off the start button.

I often forget my phone in the armrest. The only thing that reminds me of it is my smartwatch because it warns me when the bluetooth link between them breaks, either by running out of battery or getting out or range / airplane mode.

Back