Max EV Driving Range?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you haven't filled up with at least 15 litres for three months the car will start the ICE automatically in charge mode and keep it running until at least 15 litres are consumed. After you have filled (full) it will revert to normal.
The display will read "engine started to maintain fuel system".

People appear to have a hard time accepting that this car comes factory-equipped with 79 (the Gx4H 84) miniature Japanese engineers living in various nooks and crannies under the bonnet who work in shifts to keep it running optimally.....

I was to the mountains last weekend, I did a trip of 19km downhill, than back the same road
and then down again on one charge.
The first leg was with almost no regen, keeping the battery almost full half the way down,
it showed me an estimated EV range of 67km, which dropped to 35km when I turned uphill.

So, effectively I did 57km EV, which is the best I had until now. :)

I've only had mine a few days and have only done local journeys so far, but I too have noticed the EV range (after a full charge) starts at 25 and goes down. I haven't used the A/C - but I've only done around 40 miles in total in the car thus far so I'm hoping that the EV range will increase with some longer journeys / more use - interesting that others have seen the same thing so that's reassuring (kind of).

avensys said:
maby said:
BYM said:
This morning with the A/c disabled it was a completely different story. The range estimator was showing 36; assume that this was as a result of turning off the A/c on my return journey yesterday. But as outlined yesterday it is the battery indicator that it really important and this reduced slowly and steadily on my journey, so I estimate I will be getting around 30 miles of motoring on the full charge - pretty much what is published.

That said I think it pretty poor that the A/c hammers the range so much; I think that this should be made clearer by Mitsubishi in the brochures as its a major flaw in my view.

Any useful aircon sucks a lot of power. On our old Landcruiser with a big 4 litre turbo charged engine, turning on the aircon pushes up the fuel consumption by several miles per gallon.
Hi,
I would argue a little with that. Toyota's electric A/C on their Prius is very frugal with its power use. The EV estimated EV range on the plug-in dropped from about 12 miles to about 11 miles with it on and I noticed no appreciable drop in range. But then, Toyota have had almost two decades to fine tune it.
Kind regards,
Mark

May be the case on the plug-in Prius - the AC on our regular Prius would suck the battery down into the red within a few minutes on a hot day and have it bouncing along between red and middle.
Hi,
On my 2009 Gen2 Prius the A/C was quite easy on the battery too. Obviously it will drain the battery if stationary for a long time but in the two years I owned the car I never had a problem with depleting the battery due to A/C.
Kind regards,
Mark

avensys said:

Hi,
On my 2009 Gen2 Prius the A/C was quite easy on the battery too. Obviously it will drain the battery if stationary for a long time but in the two years I owned the car I never had a problem with depleting the battery due to A/C.
Kind regards,
Mark

I'm not sure I would classify it as a problem - the Prius is designed to run its battery down and recharge it many times in the course of a trip - unlike the Outlander. But our 2004 MK2 Prius will certainly go from a full battery to two red bars in a few minutes after starting in hot weather. Once the AC has got the interior temperature under control, then the battery picks up again.

Over the last few days, I have been playing around with 'save' to see how long I can extend the battery range.
By selecting 'save' on higher speeds, and uphill sections, and then normal on slower speeds and downhill, and simultaneously recording the trip mileage during the 'normal' sections, I have managed to get over 35 miles out of the battery
This still does not include all those extra little bits that you get through regeneration that you don't notice.

I commute 60 miles a day, and often wonder what the total miles on battery actually is - so here is some fuzzy logic that may work.

Car is refuelled to full with depleted battery. Displayed range = A
5 days commute with full charge every morning = 300 miles travelled
Displayed range is now = B
A-B= 120miles
So does that mean that I have gained 180 miles over 5 days = 36 miles a day on battery????

jaapv said:
People appear to have a hard time accepting that this car comes factory-equipped with 79 (the Gx4H 84) miniature Japanese engineers living in various nooks and crannies under the bonnet who work in shifts to keep it running optimally.....

My PHEV must have a language problem as these miniature engineers don't seem to be able to communicate.

55% battery capacity and REGEN ineffective at highway speeds. Battery range indicator had 55km at 56% capacity. Recharging now and may see 100km battery range when fully recharged.

The battery range serves what purpose ??

A vague prediction of the range based on the last 30 Kms driving or so. You must have been running downhill. The highest I have seen it with the battery at 80% was 98 Kms in the mountains, the lowest 16 in those same mountains.
Regen ineffective? Just drive highway speed and disable regen with the paddle and feel the difference... Standard regen is B2, approx.

Ineffective REGEN. My PHEV once used to hold speed down a particular steep hill on B4, or B3. Could switch between the 2 with confidence and the car would not run away with probably close to 80% battery capacity. Now with just over half the indicated battery capacity, the PHEV will not hold speed, even on B5.

BTW the indicated battery range I only compare is that when just removed from the recharge cable. Anyone could probably recharge at the top of a mountain and get the indicated battery range to increase by the time they got to the bottom.

Test today with 2 identical PHEV's gave 45km and 43km from fully charged battery in country drive with some small towns and some highway. Need a few more to make a convoy.

The indication of range goes back 30 km, so the last use will certainly make a difference. Note that regen will not work with a full battery.

It is well known that REGEN will be ineffective when the battery is full, but with 55% battery capacity my PHEV could only get 20kW of REGEN, and the vehicle continued to accelerate down a hill on B5, the same drive with 80% battery capacity, the PHEV would slow down on B5, with over 30kW of REGEN. The car still gives 45km actual driving range when compared to an identical PHEV Aspire's 43km actual driving range on the same day and road conditions in a loose convoy with ACC operating on both cars. Don't think there is a battery problem but electrical possibly.

webbo73 said:
I've only had mine a few days and have only done local journeys so far, but I too have noticed the EV range (after a full charge) starts at 25 and goes down. I haven't used the A/C - but I've only done around 40 miles in total in the car thus far so I'm hoping that the EV range will increase with some longer journeys / more use - interesting that others have seen the same thing so that's reassuring (kind of).

That's what I thought when I first got my PHEV nearly 2 months ago, but the range has actually reduced over time. I am aware of the load put on the battery by A/C and the other toys, so I deliberately turned off all the electrics apart from the stereo, incl turning off the A/C and fans, etc. I then ran the car in Eco mode, using gentle acceleration and recorded the results. After 2 weeks I am still struggling to get better than 25 miles from the battery under those conditions. The car has been booked in to the dealer for a check next week, as they also thought that I should be getting better range under those conditions. I'll let the forum know what the outcome is.

Have been adding km to the loan car and have just seen this info on the range screen. The numbers are quite interesting.

11441km.gif

the car has half a tank of petrol and half battery capacity. The Battery range is 44km and the total range is 246km with the ODOMETER at 11441km . The petrol range is 202km. Will be interesting to see what the PHEV calculates the ranges when recharged on the cord. One day I might see 100km for the battery range.

Back