Bad home charging brick/trickle charger

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4002

Hi all. I haven't found any discussion about this. I apologize if I missed something.

I bought a new Outlander PHEV in the States about two weeks ago. I noticed something strange about my home charging brick/trickle charger. Everywhere I look, a full charge (from empty) with the trickle charger on a standard home outlet is supposed to take about 8 hours. However, when I plug my charger in and check the charge time estimator on the dash, it's often around 12-15 hours. When I use the home charging brick for my wife's 2015 Nissan Leaf, the charge estimator will be around 6-8 hours (at the same power outlet). I'm thinking that my charging brick may be defective. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Thanks in advance!

You need to change your charger from 8amp to 12amp. There is a button that you need to press at the charger every time, default is always 8amp.

Thanks yardbird88. That worked. I had tried that before, but only when the J-1772 was plugged into the car.

BenSushiPHEV said:
Thanks yardbird88. That worked. I had tried that before, but only when the J-1772 was plugged into the car.

change that to 12 amp Before plug in the J-1772

yardbird88 said:
BenSushiPHEV said:

change that to 12 amp Before plug in the J-1772

Thanks, i was wondering the same thing about why i couldnt change the settings and if i had a bad power cord or not strong enough Breaker for the outdoor wall plug in the electric box.

Now i will make sure to press that button to switch from 8amp to 12 AMP before plugging the cable to the car.

Is there any reason to have that default to 8amp ? Incidence on the battery or anything?

Back