A couple of questions on the smartphone link display system

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james44

- Seems that to use sat nav feature, the phone must be plugged and not connected by bluetooth. Is this correct?

If so, it seems a bit of a retrograde step for such an expensive car as as plugging it in is a paff. I know for most trips you probably wouldn't bother but on my current car the display just defaults to sat nav and it has real-time traffic information on it, so you can sort of alter your route easily ... even when you know where you are going (if that makes sense).

- Related question, if the above is true, then why didn't Mitsubishi put the USB socket in an armrest compartment or somewhere to save having wires handing around and phones dangling somewhere.

I know you can get dash and window suction cups, but doesn't that the defeat the point of having an inbuilt system ... has anyone wired an extra USB socket into the glovebox? Do you just balance the phone in the cup holder and have it bang around/ ... which feels a bit silly especially if you have a coffee cup next to it!

On the plus side I guess google maps and waze are way better than most in-built systems anyway!

Any thoughts or tips on what you do?

TIA

james44 said:
- Seems that to use sat nav feature, the phone must be plugged and not connected by bluetooth. Is this correct?
Hi james44,

On my 2018 PHEV the phone must be plugged in to use the features of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay which include certain maps that are loaded on your mobile phone for use with the GPS receiver which is built into my PHEV. I think you need to look at this way. By plugging in your phone to the SDA it integrates your phone far better than would be possible with just Bluetooth at this point in time from what I can see. My sons love the system for the on demand music they can get using apps they can load on their phone. I myself have started using the app Spotify for that purpose and I think it is good and have now set up my wife's phone using that same app and now she can easily pick her own music in her own playlists . I only use Android Auto, and there are a growing list of apps supported from what I can see. From maps, communications, music and voice control. Now Spotify will still work streaming music over Bluetooth but you keep your phone charged by plugging in and have access to contacts for phone calls, messages etc.

james44 said:
- Related question, if the above is true, then why didn't Mitsubishi put the USB socket in an armrest compartment or somewhere to save having wires handing around and phones dangling somewhere.

On my PHEV the USB socket is in the armrest compartment but for easy access to the phone (I run the Torque Pro app on longer trips) we have a cradle attached to the dash but the cradle does not have suction caps. I have used the ProClip (or ClicOn) system for years on various cars and my sons use the same system for their phones and cars now. I run the USB lead as discreetly as I can to the phone cradle. I use the ProClip (or ClicOn) angled dash mount that you pick for your make and model of car then pick the particular phone holder that I need for that dash mount depending on the phone size. I pick a larger phone holder as I have a Samsung Galaxy Note and the phone holder can be adjusted down to hold more "normal" sized phones if needed.

For short trips I just put the phone in the driver's door storage compartment or the cradle and do not plug in and can still stream music with Spotify or take phone calls using Bluetooth if I want. I do not need GPS maps for most of my short trips.

Hope this helps.

Regards Trex.

It is more fundamental NO Android Auto or Apple Carplay operate over bluetooth on ANY car system. The bandwidth required for data transfer is too large for Bluetooth.

On our car we open the drinks holder and have a 10cm USB cable to connect our phone to. It works very well and is easy to use.

Android Auto supports Google Maps, Waze, WhatsApp Tidal - all of which we use a lot. It is particularly good to have Tidal integration as the sound quality is superb. Using Whatsapp messaging is also superb via Google assistant. Further as we have some smart light switches at home, half a mile from home we can simply hold the voice control button on the steering wheel until Google Assitant fires up, say 'Turn on Drive' and the drive lights turn on. It is pretty awesome.

CJ

CJ1045 said:
It is more fundamental NO Android Auto or Apple Carplay operate over bluetooth on ANY car system. The bandwidth required for data transfer is too large for Bluetooth.

On our car we open the drinks holder and have a 10cm USB cable to connect our phone to. It works very well and is easy to use.

Android Auto supports Google Maps, Waze, WhatsApp Tidal - all of which we use a lot. It is particularly good to have Tidal integration as the sound quality is superb. Using Whatsapp messaging is also superb via Google assistant. Further as we have some smart light switches at home, half a mile from home we can simply hold the voice control button on the steering wheel until Google Assitant fires up, say 'Turn on Drive' and the drive lights turn on. It is pretty awesome.

CJ

Hi new here, I have just got a MY19.

Sorry to say but this is incorrect. CarPlay and Auto have been Bluetooth enabled for over a year now. Cars such as volvos even have wireless charging and CarPlay, so it is quite possible for Mitsubishi todo.

I find personally that the cubby shelf above the main part of the glovebox is perfect fit. I found a flat sided black usb cable on eBay and you are unable to see it barely coming out of the glovebox into the usb slot.

Back