Mitsubishi Stock charger

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewdogphev

I have noticed a couple of times that the charger while in operation will drawing the normal amount of power when charging.
Today, it was charging and drawing the average 2.3kw and then look at it and it’s drawing around 87w.

Is this normal operation and it will kick back in at a point?

From looking at the normal power draw on a full charge it general stays at the Mac and finishes up.

Charger shows no indication of not charging, still a solid green light. The time today the car on the dash was showing 1.15 hours left of charging??

Any ideas?

Yes, the portable charging station (and any other charging station) will modulate the charging current to protect the battery.

In fact it's the car controlling the charging. The charger tells it the maximum that's available, and the car then asks the amount it wants up to its own maximum or the charger maximum, whichever is lower. As it nears full, it will ramp down the power to level the charge in each of the batteries in the pack

ThudnBlundr said:
In fact it's the car controlling the charging. The charger tells it the maximum that's available, and the car then asks the amount it wants up to its own maximum or the charger maximum, whichever is lower. As it nears full, it will ramp down the power to level the charge in each of the batteries in the pack

Almost true, this is how a DC rapid works not an AC charger; the chargepoint does tell the car the maximum charge current, then the onboard charger charges the batteries using that maximum. The only thing the chargepoint does under request from the car is to close the contactor to supply the power.

It’s the bit where you say the car asks for the amount of (unclear) that it would like, and that it controls the charging. This is kind of right but for brevity the car doesn’t ask anything for the amount of (current assumed), as the car IS the charger in this case, the only thing the car asks the charge point (EVSE) for is to switch the power on.
You may know all this but what is written is not very clear and I was just trying to clear it up, it could be read in many different ways.

It’s the bit where you say the car asks for the amount of (unclear) that it would like, and that it controls the charging. This is kind of right but for brevity the car doesn’t ask anything for the amount of (current assumed), as the car IS the charger in this case, the only thing the car asks the charge point (EVSE) for is to switch the power on.
You may know all this but what is written is not very clear and I was just trying to clear it up, it could be read in many different ways.

Lol, ok but I was being nice, you obviously don’t understand “Maximum”. I didn’t think it necessary to say that the maximum allowed by a charge point may be higher than the maximum the car could actually use.
I didn’t think I’d been particularly rude but this has obviously got your back up, wasn’t my intention and I think if you read your initial statement you’ll see it didn’t really make sense.
Sorry.

Back