'Rubbing' noise, especially on cornering

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunshineBob

Hello

Has anyone else any experience of their car making a consistent 'whao whao whao' noise that is especially noticeable when cornering?

I thought it sounded like a bearing issue, but two garages have looked and can see no signs of that, i.e. no play in the wheels or movement, and one has even swapped the wheels front to back as I can't remember hearing it before my tyres were changed late last year.

Seems it has to be something 'internal', I wonder if it is in the motors?

However, comparing B0 to B5 I haven't noticed anything different in terms of noise.

My initial concern is if I am making anything worse by driving it, then how do I get it fixed and how much will it cost...

What brand of tyres did you have fitted - different to what was there before? In my experience of wheel bearngs they rumble when worn. I seem to remember there was an issue with some early PHEV rear wheel bearings prematurely wearing which may or may not have been caused by the rear handbrake mechanism sticking (well documented recall) and overheating bearing grease. How old is your PHEV and how many miles has it done?

The tyres were Toyo, replaced by Hankooks.

Come to think of it, it may not have been the tyres, but after the recall on the handbrake (?) at the end of December when I started hearing the rubbing noise.

Maybe I ought to call the dealership that did the recall...

It's a 64 plate, about 62k miles.

Thanks

Might be worth checking to see if either rear disc is getting hot after you've heard the noise. When I say hot I mean HOT ie. if you were to touch the disc with your fingertip you'll burn it. If discs are getting that hot you can also usually smell it too - burning paint smell and probably some clicking as it all cools down. The surface of the wheel itself will aslo be quite hot. Might well indeed be worth having the dealership check their recall work as I believe a few other people (not many) have mentioned probems with successful installation of the replacement handbrake mechanism recall. If the handbrake cables are not correctly set-up they could cause the caliper/s to stick-on.

The stability system makes some noise sometimes when cornering. It's not constant though...

If you 'wiggle' the steering wheel quite hard when driving , you'll hear the force vectoring system braking the front wheels. It sounds a bit like "wrrrr wrrr" to me.

Perhaps only relevant if you are as absent minded as me, but I had some irritating noise coming from the rear seatbelt for quite a while until I figured out what it was.

Thanks, but if I didn't know any differently, I'd say this was a bearing issue I've got rather than something as designed.

I've got it booked in with the dealership that did the recall to see if it is related, but it seems to be coming from the front rather than the back; I must try to see if the rear brakes are getting hot though.

Update, but not conclusive

Dealership took a drive with me and confirmed there is an unusual noise, but couldn't find the source. They were happy with their recall work, which to be fair is on the back with the noise coming from the front.

Suspicion is it may be a baring that's wearing out / failing, but needs to get worse to be identified.

So for now, that's it.

I am also having this "wob wob wob" noise coming from the back it seems. Its "beat" follows the vehicle speed and is heard from about 30km/h. This is only a month since last service at dealers where they fixed handbrake issue under warranty. So this might be related?

If it is coming from the back that seems more likely to be related to the recall work.

Is it definitely coming from the rear and does it seem to rub more on cornering?

Rawb said:
I am also having this "wob wob wob" noise coming from the back it seems. Its "beat" follows the vehicle speed and is heard from about 30km/h. This is only a month since last service at dealers where they fixed handbrake issue under warranty. So this might be related?
It might be one of the tyres. I had that on the back of another car and couldn't find anything. It was only when I took the rear wheel off that I could see an unusual shape in the tyre. It was on the inside of the tyre and so not at all obvious

Nope. All 4 wheels are fine appart from being regularly worn down. I'm guessing it's a ballbearing...guess I can jack it up and give the wheels a check.. give them a turn to see if there is any sounds that show up then.

SunshineBob said:
If it is coming from the back that seems more likely to be related to the recall work.

Is it definitely coming from the rear and does it seem to rub more on cornering?

It is definitely the back and does increase especially cornering to the right.

Back