Brake lights come on in b5 brake regeneration

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megarax2019

On 2018 onward UK model when you take your foot off the accelerator the brake lights come on in b5 regeneration and also in sport mode on my 2019 2.4 (in sport mode you can always flick back to b4 but it’s a pain to remember),on my previous 2015 model this didn’t happen
Just wondering if there is a way via a hidden menu to stop this as to someone behind it looks like your a doddery driver who is braking all the time in my opinion the regenerative brake is no more aggressive than my old model and didn’t seem to cause drivers behind any problems as if fierce /emergency braking is required via the brake pedal the brake lights come on anyway

Who cares what other drivers think? Actually there have been requests for this behaviour on the forum.
I cannot imagine that there is a way to change this setting.

Maybe in a flat country that’s true but in my part of the world brake lights on all the way down a steep hill perhaps for several miles can be annoying,drivers of engined cars would use engine breaking so brake lights wouldn’t come on

If I saw brake lights on for that amount of time (down a long hill) I'd be expecting at least smoke and a bad smell - or like you say, I'd be thinking silly old fart or OCD braking habit (some people do seem to have a kind of OCD braking habit where they keep pressing the brake pedal - maybe to see if it still works? Perhaps they once had a brake failure experience - as I frequently do in my dreams). I've never thought that '5' is anything like as severe as actual braking either. I think Jeremy Clarkson was one of the first people to mention the lack of a brake light on re-gain.

Remarks:
1. My first replay is (RTFM), Read the Fucking Manual.
2. Do it again before you post a message to the forum.
3. Do not buy a(nother) PHEV, you do not understand the car.

HaFr1954 said:
Remarks:
1. My first replay is (RTFM), Read the Fine Manual.
Let's keep it friendly here.
If you do not wish to contribute, then simply refrain from posting.
We all come here to learn more about our cars.
Thank you for your cooperation

HaFr1954 said:
Remarks:
1. My first replay is (RTFM), Read the Fucking Manual.

Having had 2 outlander phevs I think I know the manual very well and the cars for that matter
Not used to such a rude and ignorant comment
Leaving the forum

Well I wouldn't be too hasty Megarax2019 (unless you really have already gone - in which case you just have been hasty). I wouldn't say that HaFr1954 was in any way typical of the sort of comments you'd normally find on this forum. It's the first time I've ever seen a comment like that. In fact I'd think that HaFr1954 is probably some kind of troll or nutcase actually - notice that this is HaFr1954's first post, so maybe not quite right in the head?

Thank for encouraging comment I did try to leave the forum but couldn’t find a way to do it
Perhaps I should have read the manual :D

To revert to the original question. I don't think this set up is unique to our car. I have recently noticed more drivers brake lights flicking on in normal driving, so perhaps other cars have the same "accelerator off - brake light on" feature.

Actually it would make sense by giving following drivers extra notice of braking action. :idea:

My 2015 model doesn't have this feature, and I do notice that the occasional idiot tailgating me does get a bit of a shock if I do slow using B5, so much so that I now try to remember to use the brakes extremely lightly simply to light the brake lights

My 2014 GX4h doesn't have it either (well, as far as I'm aware it doesn't - I don't suppose I've ever been able to see if has as it's always best to be inside the car when involved in any re-gen activity) - so it's almost certainly a new model 'upgrade'. Can't say I'd be too keen though.

All though as previously mentioned presumably more and other cars are going to have this too. Perhaps there could be a different version of the brake light for re-gen action - like a slow pulsing effect of the light rather than it just being on. Then following drivers won't think you're trying to fry your discs when going down a long hill (either that or they won't know what the f*** is going on). There are a lot of long hills where I live although I've noticed that I have to go up most of them before I can come down again. I actually live half way up a hill - so I do have the option to go either way.

Definitely comes on on 2019 UK model and definitely didn’t come on in 2015 model wonder who decided it should be on newer model
Mitsubishi or legislative bods

Would be interesting if phevs in Canada,Australia etc etc have this feature

It came in at 16MY (in UK at least) and is part of EU type approval, see section 5.2.22

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-con...FjgMXLbY2fL5lShUWTXat6Qzvi6gAg6vhU8c5DSdMFYdQ

5.2.22.4. Electric regenerative braking systems as defined in paragraph 2.17 of this Regulation, which produce a retarding force upon release of the accelerator control, shall generate the signal mentioned above according to the following provisions:
Vehicle decelerations Signal generation
≤ 0,7 m/s2 The signal shall not be generated
> 0,7 m/s2 and ≤ 1,3 m/s2 The signal may be generated
> 1,3 m/s2 The signal shall be generated

So according to this if you are using B5 to simply hold a steady speed downhill, something that I do on the steep ones locally, the brake light should not be on. May have to go and test this :geek:

I’m sure it always comes on in b5 and in sport mode ( I sport mode find very useful as a overtaking mode shame it couldn’t been a steering wheel button )

This reply

According to Mitsubishi the brake lights only come on when in B4 at speeds of 81mph and above and when in B5 at speeds of 25mph and above, so they will not be on all the time in slow moving traffic.

was contained in this thread:
http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=23543#p23543

No idea if it's accurate!

Interesting handbook just says “when stronger regen braking is generated stop lamps will illuminate even when the brake pedal is not depressed”
Will double check next time I drive at night if speed makes a difference

I complained to my dealer that the regen at B5 wasn't operating the brake lights when I was descending steep logging roads at low speed. They tested, and confirmed that the threshold for MY18 in Canada is 30km/hr. I'm OK with that.

In my current car (2016 Skoda Superb) the adaptive cruise control often turns the brakelights on in situations where I wouldn’t touch the brakes myself. In daily trafic I noticed many cars do this. If you pay attention, you can easily recognize cars driving with acc on the highway.

I can imagine that with both acc and regen braking in the PHEV some peolple will ask themselves who was stupid enough to give me my driving license :lol:

Back