is there an equivalent to MPG for electric cars?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweedie

If I would be getting a new car, I normally factor in the Miles Per Gallon that I would be able to get out of it. However, with electric cars - all having various battery sizes, kw/h and longer charge times, is there an easy way to work out how efficient it would be compared to my outlander?

For example, with my outlander (11kwh i think), on average, I would probably get 27miles out of a 4hr charge, which cost me £1.20 (say, 30p per hour), but with kona, I believe its 279 miles (64kw/h) but it may take 30 hours to charge it fully so wouldn't be better off cos its still going to cost me 30p per hour to charge it).

or it is calculated as if it takes me 4 hrs to charge a 11kwh outlander (£1.20, 2.7kw/h input, 4.4p per electric mile? ), it should then take me roughly 24hrs to charge 64kw/h kona (£7.20, 2.7kw/h input, 2.5p per electric mile)

does that make sense? There must be something similar to MPG for electric cars - kinda like "MPkW" but in clear data without having to resort to formulas!?

tweedie said:
If I would be getting a new car, I normally factor in the Miles Per Gallon that I would be able to get out of it. However, with electric cars - all having various battery sizes, kw/h and longer charge times, is there a way to work out how efficient it would be compared to my outlander?

For example, with my outlander (11kwh i think), on average, I would probably get 27miles out of a 4hr charge, which cost me £1.20 (say, 30p per hour), but with kona, I believe its 279 miles (64kw/h) but it may take 30 hours to charge it fully so wouldn't be better off cos its still going to cost me 30p per hour to charge it).

does that make sense? There must be something similar to MPG for electric cars - kinda like "MPkW"?

The Outlander PHEV show EV consumption in kwh/100km and maybe other way too ... unfortunately, at least in my PHEV, this value on the MMCS is totally wrong.
On the PHEVwatchDog apps, this value is coming correct

elm70 said:
tweedie said:
If I would be getting a new car, I normally factor in the Miles Per Gallon that I would be able to get out of it. However, with electric cars - all having various battery sizes, kw/h and longer charge times, is there a way to work out how efficient it would be compared to my outlander?

does that make sense? There must be something similar to MPG for electric cars - kinda like "MPkW"?

The Outlander PHEV show EV consumption in kwh/100km and maybe other way too ... unfortunately, at least in my PHEV, this value on the MMCS is totally wrong.
On the PHEVwatchDog apps, this value is coming correct

wow, quick response. you say that MMCS is totally wrong - better or worse off?

Thanks for the suggestion about EV consumption. googled it and it pointed me to..

https://ev-database.uk/car/1130/Mitsubishi-Outlander-PHEV
saying its 475wh per mile

and
https://ev-database.uk/car/1126/Hyundai-Kona-Electric-64-kWh
its 260wh per mile

I guess that is my answer - just surprise it isn't clear on manufacturers websites.

On UK cars, you can see mpg and mpkWh on the main screen. As mentioned above, these often bear little resemblance to reality. Plus you'll always have a combined figure unless you use no petrol or you run in Save the whole time (or have an empty battery)

tweedie said:
wow, quick response. you say that MMCS is totally wrong - better or worse off?

MMCS can show "instant" and average EV consumption

None of the two make any sense ...

But maybe my MMCS is still having an old firmware

At least .. traditional consumption in L/100km is looking accurate

MPGe is often used here in North America. MPGe takes the amount of energy of a gallon of gasoline, about 33.7 kWh, and rates how far the vehicle can travel using that amount of energy. There are separate values for city, highway, and combined. The combined MPGe for the Outlander PHEV is rated at 74 - meaning that it can go, on average, about 2.2 miles per kWh. See: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=41133

By comparison, a gen 2 Chevy Volt is rated at 106 MPGe combined. After nearly 4 years, ours has a lifetime average of 103 - so pretty close.

Back