do you need winter tyres for the outlander?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think that the suspension is suitable for run flats. Basically those are meant for cars that are designed to use them.
If you go into the snow, or even so-so wintery conditions, I think that the only alternative for winter tyres are good four season ones. I run on Vredestein Quatrac 5, very happy.
Don't forget, loss of traction can occur on four wheels as easily as on two, and braking and steering has nothing to do with 4WD. This is a two-ton car, once it slides it won't be controlled easily.
On the proper tyres it leaves nothing to be desired for winter use, on pure summer tyres it is a bit of a handful. Not recommended.

I was concerned. Live in BC (Canada) and got quite a bit of snow last year (read 4-6 feet on the ground). We live 1km up a fairly steep hill. The car came with m+s tires and I decided to give it a go. Absolutely no problems.

I agree with jaapv, 4WD has nothing to do with this choice.
You want the traction when braking and steering.
If you get more then a week's worth of snow and ice, I highly suggest getting tyres that can handle the conditions.
This is about the safety of you and your loved ones! Not the place or time to cheap out...

YMMV

@mellobob - are you in the BC Interior? I've only had my Outlander for a couple of months, I haven't gone through a winter with them yet. I'm wondering in particular about using the stock tires (M+S) on the Coquihalla, and also going to Cypress or Seymour. I'm trying to figure if I need to get proper winter tires. Can you share your experience/advice?

Ah, I just assumed it came with run flats as there was no spare and comes with a tyre inflation kit

the tyres look like run flats

You've answered your own question. Run-flats don't need gunk or an inflation kit, as the sidewalls are designed to run for a short time with no air in them. Ours aren't designed for that, hence the gunk and pump.

mbasjm said:
@mellobob - are you in the BC Interior? I've only had my Outlander for a couple of months, I haven't gone through a winter with them yet. I'm wondering in particular about using the stock tires (M+S) on the Coquihalla, and also going to Cypress or Seymour. I'm trying to figure if I need to get proper winter tires. Can you share your experience/advice?

I live just outside of Creston. I've done the Creston-Salmo in crap weather and the narrow road to my house is fairly steep and never bare in the winter. No issues.

But, please remember, that with any car in the winter no matter what you have for 2x4, 4x4, etc. you still have the same braking. Honestly, I've gotten into more problems with 4x4 vehicles thinking that they'd "take me though the crap" can ended up either stuck or sliding off the road :)

Coquihalla is an awful road, even in the summer. But, take it easy and you *should* be okay. Especially the first year when you've got lots of tread on the new(ish) tires.

@mellobob thanks.

I live in the Lower Mainland and although we don't get much snow, when we do it causes a lot of havoc around here. I'm experienced driving in snow (I'm originally from Winnipeg) but the snow here is much different and the hills and driving ability of people in this weather makes things really scary. I also live on a hill, and in my old vehicle I often have to park at the bottom when there's snow, because it can't make it up the hill even on snow tires (my van) or all-seasons (car).

mbasjm said:
@mellobob thanks.

I live in the Lower Mainland and although we don't get much snow, when we do it causes a lot of havoc around here. I'm experienced driving in snow (I'm originally from Winnipeg) but the snow here is much different and the hills and driving ability of people in this weather makes things really scary. I also live on a hill, and in my old vehicle I often have to park at the bottom when there's snow, because it can't make it up the hill even on snow tires (my van) or all-seasons (car).

For all times you guys get "snow days", I'd just stay home. Not so much driving in the stuff, but it's the other guys who don't know how to drive that scare me.

jaapv said:
Winter tyres are not specifically about snow. They have superior grip in all conditions under 10ºC.

To Jaapv’s point, on my previous car (Volvo XC70) I used to run winter tyres once the temp dropped consistently below c.8ºC. I have a set of steel wheels shod with Falken Eurowinter tyres that I just used to swap over.

Ignoring the fact the stud pattern is probably wrong so I may not be able to reuse them on the PHEV, is there going to be any issue with the TPMS (other then it not working) if I put some regular steel wheels on the PHEV? I’m not bothered if it doesn’t work, only if I’m going to get constant errors/warning messages!

Hi, sounds like Vredestein Quatrac 5 are the go to when upgrading the original Toyos. Any other view - i recall Crossclimates were a close 2nd?

Of course, being Southern UK my interest is more about wet weather rather than snow.

We've had CCs on a variety of previous cars. We need tyres that will get us up the unploughed country lane with a sharp turn onto our steep shared drive even in snow. Standard-tyred cars regularly get left ½ mile away in snow and ice, and I didn't fancy the walk at night on an unlit slippery country road! I started out with winter tyres but got tired of the hassle and expenses of changing them every 6 months. So on our subsequent 3 cars I've used CCs and never been stuck when others have failed. I'm going to fit them to the PHEV in pairs when the current ones wear out.

This guy is worth watching - he does lots of analysis of just this sort of question. YMMV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe-gkTCOs7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO0zyQh2l3M

Honestly if you live anywhere where temps get below 10 C consistently, you'd doing yourself a disservice and potentially needlessly endangering yourself and fellow drivers if you aren't on "All Weather" (not "all season") tires or switch to winters during the winter.

The rubber compounds in Summer and All Season tires start to harden at temps below about 7 C while the compounds in an All Weather or Winter tires will stay pliable and grippy in much lower temps. So, it's not just about snow and ice, it's about grip on cool/cold pavement as well. You should also be thinking in terms of emergency situations... Sure, lots of people get around just fine in AWD with all seasons tires until they have to swerve or emergency brake to avoid a kid in the street. Grip and braking distances are much better when on the proper tire.

Since our PHEV's come with fairly capable all seasons (in North America anyway), until they wear out, it makes sense to buy a set of winters and switch with the seasons. By switching you just end up prolonging the life of the tires anyway.

Also note, that if you live in the Pacific North West of Canada/USA... winters or proper all weather tires tend to a much better job at clearing water and resisting hydroplaning than all seasons so they handle all that winter rain very well.

My 2 cents (Canadian... so about 1.5 cents USD).

PS. I've spent many years driving 2 wheel drive cars with good winter tires on them during the winter and have passed many a AWD vehicle struggling through some of the BC mountain passes on their all seasons. On the flipside, a good AWD vehicle with high quality snow tires is an amazing winter driving machine.

I swapped out of the Toyos as soon as I could (25k) and have a set of Crossclimates on.
Very happy - they are a much better tyre and for the sake of less than £100 over the Toyo replacements, in my view, great value for the extra capability and safety for the winter months.
Costco is a good place to buy and has £100 off for 4 deals twice a year.

I can highly recommend Cooper Weathermaster WSC winter tyres. Progress is severely limited by the tiny ground clearance of the Outlander. Much more momentum is required in deeper snow.

20180302_050817small.jpg

20180302_050834small.jpg

In these conditions winter tyres are superb.

20180302_052250small.jpg

Back