Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
 Post subject: Re: Lindqvist method : DIY BMU Battery Reset
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:26 am 

elm70 wrote:
About the D method ...

I was thinking .. can be simulated a low voltage 12v battery with a big capacitor .. like a super cap ?

I think this can be easily put down in natural way to around 8v (or whatever is needed) .. without any side effect.

Good idea but I am jinxed again.
I have two 500 Farad super caps here but they are 2.7V each so only good for 5.4V.
Why didn't I order 3 back then? :slap_on_the_head:

Will take at least three weeks to get more from China.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:13 pm 

MadTechNutter wrote:
Bit astonished people are so quiet about this here.

Could anybody who intends to do this procedure please read with the watchdog the cell voltage when their drive battery shows 'empty' before the procedure and the empty voltage value after a successful reset?

...and of course their trip odometer before and after, not the displayed EV range but the actual kms driven from fully charged in EV mode until the ICE kicks in with light foot driving and then read the voltage on the watchdog, once stopped at a safe location of course.
Please voltages only, no % or Ah.
Thank you :)

If this really significantly increases the range on older batteries then I can only imagine this is possible by deeper discharge.
If the true SoC goes down to 20%, I have absolutely no concern as this will not degrade the battery and should still have enough reserve for any mishaps.
It seem obvious that the 'improvement" will degrade over time as this seems to be the way Mitsubishi had it designed but then I would actually consider building in a Reset button to discharge over a small resistor the capacitor for the SRAM that stores the BMU data after I disconnect the 12V battery.
We do this the whole time to clear the CMOS for the BIOS in Personal Computers.
The resistor is important in case the reset button is accidentally pressed with 12V battery or charger connected. 470Ω -1KΩ should be OK and then hold the button for a 10 seconds.

What I find a bit questionable is why the battery has to stay disconnected while it is charging after the BMU data is obviously erased.

Finally had a chance to run the battery down with the App HVAC after the reset.
My cell voltage is now 3.664 (2.3 kWh) when it shut the heater off. Was 3.794 (2.0 kWh) before the reset. (20.3%)

2011 Leaf SV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:32 am 

I did update page 1 with the D method ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20