PHEV driven without keys!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have similar problem with diving where waterproofing keys is even more challenging than surfing or canoeing due to the pressure. I tried a lockbox in the car boot but the car still detects the key presence. Interestingly I found wrapping the keys in tin foil does work and the car no longer detects their presence so that seems to be the answer - tinfoil plus lockbox.

Seafox said:
I have similar problem with diving where waterproofing keys is even more challenging than surfing or canoeing due to the pressure. I tried a lockbox in the car boot but the car still detects the key presence. Interestingly I found wrapping the keys in tin foil does work and the car no longer detects their presence so that seems to be the answer - tinfoil plus lockbox.

You can lock the "black electronic" part of the key in the PHEV using the physical metal key which slides out. Then you can take the metal traditional key with you without worry of it getting wet.

I kitesurf and use an aquapack with the key inside a little sealy bag, never had any problems even on big wipeouts.
I can’t stress this enough.........DO NOT USE KEY SAFES

Insurance companies will not pay out if you’ve attached your electronic key to your car in an easily openable box for thieves to steal. I have no idea why anyone would risk this, I’d prefer to get the key wet and buy a new one.

"Any comments on this ?
Car doors are locked by this process but car may not be fully security armed ?"
Most likely.

"Would it be possible, if entry was forced, to drive away as the fob is still in the car ?"
Absolutely

Using the metal key has random effects on my 2014 model.
The alarm will go off if the car is unlocked with the key (formerly locked with the fob), which is very annoying.

A AU$60,000 car and no electrical contact to detect that the mechanical key is used to open it and switch off the alarm. Somebody forcing the lock would still not be able to drive it.
I would like to keep the spare fob at home and give my wife, who doesn't drive, the metal key to put her shopping inside when we are meeting somewhere later.

EDIT:
Sorry I somehow missed there were two more pages and the date of that query is old.
The issue with the alarm going off using the key is still relevant though.

Back