Sudden loss of traction battery power

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreebirdUK

I havent done a lot of investigation regarding this as I have some flu like bug and threw up when I got home (throwing up isnt the problem Im here for).
I have a pre facelift 2015 Outlander, had it for one year, only done 28000 miles, had no problems up to now.
Left on charge last night, and I had 'Charge Complete' on the dash.
I had a lot of stuff to drop off 2 miles away (all downhill), parked for about 2 hours, then drove back the two miles (all uphill).
As I approached my driveway I noticed that the engine was running, I dont use heating so it wasnt that.
Parked on the drive and there was zero electric remaining!
(Thats when I had to rush in and throw up (not due to the Mitsi problem)).

One coincidence here, and I cant really believe it has anything to do with the problem.
The warning that the service is due has been counting down over the months and its booked in for a service in 2 weeks.
But this morning the warning went down to 0 months and it displayed something to the effect that the service in due now.

I have had a quick search of the forums but have not found anything regarding this problem.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Phil

I suspect your charging ended almost as soon as it started for some reason - what range was showing when you started the journey?

Situation resoled itself after overnight charging it seems.
michael8554, I didnt notice the range when I started yesterday, I normally do but I think the service reminder was displaying over it.
I think you may be correct about the charging ending almost as soon as it started though.
One thing has come to mind, when I plugged it in the day before the trigger did not connect properly at first but then seeemed ok.
I have a Rolec charger at home which is nearly 4 years old now, its been no problem at all but it feels like the plug plastic is getting brittle after being outside so long?

The plastic shouldn't deteriorate - it's designed to be outside, after all. It could be the wear over the years has brought the micro-switch in the plug to the limit of operation. It's an easy fix, just open it up and bend the operating arm to give a bit extra operating movement. I've done two of them, they seem to be sent out adjusted to only just operate.

Thanks very much for the info Regulo, as Im not comfortable fiddling with electrical components and its working now, I will leave it as it is. But I know what to do when the time comes.
Thanks
Phil

It can also be that the spring in the locking lever has weakened somewhat or the pin in the hinge has gone sticky. I need to push the latch fully home by hand to start the car charging.

Ray, thanks very much for the photos, its much apreciated. I have an electrician next door and I will ask him to have a look.
Jaapv, mines been getting like that for a while.
Stupid question alert. WD40 wont help will it or shouldnt it be sprayed anywhere near this?
Thanks
Phil

Back