UK 3 pin plug charger unit - not warranted

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilH24

Hi, Has anybody experienced this issue?

I have a charger which was replaced 6 months ago as the 'brick' section was inoperable. Now the new one has melted the plastic at the base of one of the pins, which therefore jammed itself firmly into the socket. (took some effort to remove)

I took it to the dealer, as I have warranty remaining, and of course as the charger unit is only 6 months old. After leaving the car for a whole day at the dealership (not sure why this was necessary) they said that the brick section and car plug is warranted but that the 3 pin plug is not warranted, so there was no repair or replacement offered.

Why not? it is part of the supply and is a sealed plug making it an integral part of the unit. I was told I could replace the plug but that would invalidate the warranty of the whole unit. So what am I to do?

This policy came through to the dealer via a memo from Mitsubishi, which said that if this occurs it is no longer a warranty issue. Why? is it happening too often for them to warrant? that doesn't fix the problem.

From researching the subject of sealed plugs and this type of failure on youtube and google searches, the issue seems to lie firmly with the plug internal wiring and so overheats (tho' the 13 amp fuse is fine). Also, having spoken to electricians I know, it seems that often sealed plugs fail PAC tests more regularly than the wired plugs (speculate as you wish). This proves they are obviously not infallible.

I had a conversation with the Mitsubishi UK customer service and they stated this was unwarrantable even tho it is sealed to the unit. The solution they gave me was for me to pay postage to Mitsubishi UK in Cirencester and the dealer to 'lend' me a charger - this was at a deposit value of £650, which I did not entertain. I have sent the unit so, unfortunately I do not have means of charging at home at the moment. It's Monday now and they confirmed they received it Wednesday last week. However, they have not yet looked at it or responded to me!!

They also suggested that a new one costs £850!!! not really the EV running economy that I was going for, I'd have to run on 100% electric for over a year to get equivalent to petrol economy!!!

I would simply replace the plug and fight the warranty fight if and when needed. If they don't extend warranty to the plug they cannot invalidate it on the rest of the unit if it is replaced, I should think. TBH, I would not even have involved Mitsubishi for such a bagatelle - simply replaced the plug and be done with it.

Lets just take a step back on this.

Warranties are provided (normally) by manufacturers. Under UK law (and possibly EU law) they are enforceable as part of a contract between buyer and manufacturer NOT dealer. However, plugs are normally excluded from all warranties - for the practical reason that they are potentially subject to much wear & tear.

However, what is important here is the Sale of Goods Act 1979, which puts an obligation on the retailer (not manufacturer) to supply goods "fit for purpose" - which WILL include the plug. So, ignore Mitsu UK and grab the dealer warmly by the throat. Just putting your demand for a replacement or action in Small Claims Court in writing and usually bingo! - and/or threaten to report them to local Trading Standards, who will confirm this for you. :idea:

The other issue here is that it’s possible that this failure had nothing to do with a failure of the plug, it could have been an overheating socket heating the pin and melting the plastic.
It’s difficult to tell, and therefore very difficult to fight.

Back