To consume old fuel, refuel 15L or more...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW I got this message today, exactly 99 days after last adding petrol - the car didn't 'complain' yesterday. I manage to squeeze 14.5 litres into the tank, and it's now happy again. :lol:

I live on a small island of the coast of Auckland NZ. I very rarely use any petrol...about 10 litres per year. I understand that it is better to use up some of the old fuel but 15 litres every three months seems excessive.Is there any way the cars system can be reconfigured to kick compulsory top up every six months. I am currently using around 150 litres per year of fossil fuel more than I need to.

ken said:
I live on a small island of the coast of Auckland NZ. I very rarely use any petrol...about 10 litres per year. I understand that it is better to use up some of the old fuel but 15 litres every three months seems excessive.Is there any way the cars system can be reconfigured to kick compulsory top up every six months. I am currently using around 150 litres per year of fossil fuel more than I need to.

Obviously, it is the wrong car for the environment you are living in. A full electric would be just perfect.

As the requirement is to put 15 litres into the car every 3 months I don't understand how that equates to 10 times that over 12? If you start with an almost empty tank, you would be able to go 9 months before needing to burn off fuel. If you use about 10 litres per year then the most you would burn off in year one would be around 5 litres. :idea:

Even if you start with a full tank then 4 refuels less the 10 litres is only a net 50. Where does the extra 100 come from? :roll: :idea:

Part of the sales pitch for our new 2023 model was the requirement to use 10 litres of fuel every three months. In our case this will be a Sunday meander somewhere, as with the 85Km EV range with this new model our car will be used 99% as a pure EV. They need an hour clock on the ICE as an oil and filter change every 12 months and only about 10 hours use seems a bit pointless. I know that modern synthetic oils do deteriorate with age once a small amount of contamination is present but it should be good for a couple of years and 20 hours. :)

Cheers

Chris

As my 2014 car is now out of warranty, I didn't bother with last year's service after the dealer declined to do it with a roof box attached (they have low ceilings!) as I have only done 3k miles in 12 months. :cool:

2016 also out of warranty so do my own servicing. An oil change when I think it needs it based on an estimate of what mileage and use the ICE has had.

Back