Fuel consumption

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nancy54cat

Can you tell why, when I am driving and I have lots of electric power showing, I have gas consumption? I don't have the heat or AC on but am running the fan to cool the inside of the car (no AC though).

Thank you for your reply. I actually can't remember when I last put gas in the tank! However, I haven't been seeing the little warning sign that I need to add gas?
Does the interior fan use power even without the air or heat on?
The book indicates that when accelerating, the car will consume gas. I try to accelerate slowly and steadily but perhaps even with that, gas will be consumed?
I guess that I am working to maximize electric power and minimize gas consumption, as anyone who owns a PHEV is trying to do! Thus my confusion with using gas when I am working so hard to not!
I can't think of any other questions or ideas for why this is happening. Look forward to hearing back from you.

If it is the refuelling issue then you should get the message "engine started to maintain fuel system", rather than the re-fuel icon, on the info screen betweeen the dials.

The fan will use a negligble amount of power when both heating & aircon are off.

The left-hand dial has 3 zones - blue for regen (energy from braking going back to battery, green for battery only and white for ICE.

As the green & white overlap, this is where both battery & ICE will be used - typically when accelerating "too hard". If you can stop the needle going into this overlap area the ICE shouldn't start but it is difficult to do especially in traffic because even a momentary blip will fire up the ICE.

After 6 years of using the PHEV I still sometimes misjudge it - especially at Hyde Park Corner gyratory :oops:

Back