Rumbling noise comes from the rear of the car when driving above 40mph and increases with speed.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmj55

My 2018 Outlander PHEV has recently had a major repair after an accident. The front left wheel took significant impact from a speeding car while it was parked outside my house with the parking and handbrakes on. The force of the impact pushed the car onto the pavement and back about two feet.

The front left wing and suspension has been rebuilt along with the steering. The back right wheel was replaced due to damage. Three new tyres have been fitted the back left tyre is the original.

There are a few issues appearing with the repairs and I am trying to identify possible causes.

There is a rumbling noise that comes from the rear when driving above 40mph and this increases with speed. It exists in all driving modes. The body shop said it was a wheel bearing and would be covered under warranty. The main dealer inspected the car and did a test drive below 40mph and said there was no issues with the wheel bearings, suspension or exhaust system.

The petrol engine noise has increased significantly and the car will vibrate if this is charging the battery when stationary.

There is a creaking noise coming from the right when you go over speed bumps at slow speeds or turn right sharply while parking.

Any suggestions on the causes of the noises, it’s nearly as noisy as the 13 year old Diesel Sportage it replaced. Prior to the accident there was no noise or vibration in the car.

On the assumption that the repair was paid for by your insurance, I would have thought your first port of call is with them. However, did you sign off the work as satisfactory?

The repairs were paid for by insurance, the car was delivered to me without being able to check the the repairs.

I am in discussion with the insurance company over the issue. I’m stuck between the body shop that says it’s not accident damage and Mitsubishi that says there is nothing wrong with the car.

Not wishing to labour the point, but if you signed off the car as satisfactory without checking then you are in a weaker legal position. You might have to get an independent engineer's report and threaten legal action, if you can't persuade the insurers to fight this for you.

Any impact that requires wheel replacement should be accompanied by wheel bearing replacement. An impact like that will cause damage to the bearing race where the bearings have made a point load contact.

Personally would trade the car in if the damage has been that serious, even without your problems. If the dealer tells you the car is OK, they should give you the regular trade-in price. Any value loss due to the accident history can be claimed against insurance.

The wheel bearing might be the cause of the sound.
Any garage or even you yourself can check this by lifting the car and checking if the wheel rotates freely.

Hi thanks for all the comments it has been helpful getting feedback.

The repairs to the car were guaranteed for 5 years, I have now had an independent engineer review the car and recommend repairs.

The insurance company has agreed that the repairs were not completed to acceptable standards and I have given them a list of issues to look at in addition to the rumbling noise.

I did not certify that the repairs to the car were completed to a satisfactory state, I signed an A4 sheet of paper with “Collection Note” on it.

The body shop admitted noticing the noise while returning the car to me but forgot to mention it. They said it was a wheel bearing that would be replaced under warranty.

Am now discussing the scope of works required with the insurance company.

Glad to learn that it seems to be resolving satisfactorily for you (although still a lot of inconvenience). Key to this sort of problem is getting the insurance company on-side, as they hold the purse strings and the ability to blacklist a supplier! :twisted:

Back