LPG Conversion for the PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kabousie

Hi All,

I came across this example of an LPG conversion earlier: http://www.poulsbaarlo.nl/nl/hybride-op-lpg.html

I already own two other cars that are LPG converted and have covered more than 60000 miles with no issue. I am having my PHEV converted for £1k next week and the above example is exactly what I am having done but I will be using a different system.

anko said:
One of there moderators of the dutch PHEV forum has done this. If I am not mistaken he has already done more than 100.000 km.
I have not had any issues with LPG over the years and it is an easy 50% saving, I drive 30000 miles a year so for me it really is worth while.

I'm pretty sure I saw a warning in my PHEV documentation that fitting a LPG conversion would invalidate the warranty.

I've been down the warranty road before with my Mercedes and Chrysler - the warranty remains except for the bits modified. The dealer may try to scare you but when you start talking to the more senior people they back off and accept it for what it is.

Had a honda accord 2.0 litre petrol converted to LPG
done 80000 miles on the conversion before part exchange for a mitsubishi mirage for my wife
was so happy but after 45k miles it started suffering valve seat recession. sypmtoms are the car stall when you start it in the morning or on slowing when breaking. irritating as the car basically die in the middle of the road... i need it to run for good 7 minutes to warm up before driving
any way...gor the valve seat readjusted as 5 out of the 8 valves were blocked

25k miles later started to suffer the same....
I part exchanged it as the wife was not happy with the size ( not the LPG )of the car so got her the Mirage

Japanese cars do have soft valves as i have been told.....

I already discussed my car with Mint LPG in Newport, Gwent who converted my Honda, they are form the same opinion of the soft valve seats on japanese cars
advised me to wait till it is out of the 60k warranty.
And yes I will convert it to LPG put where would I put the tank? on the honda it was in tyre bay in the boot...Outlander boot is flat with no tyre space..... and mind you the LPG tank is so heavy so might cancel the advantage of being electric car with all the wt. we are carrying.

Take care all

levant said:
Had a honda accord 2.0 litre petrol converted to LPG
done 80000 miles on the conversion before part exchange for a mitsubishi mirage for my wife
was so happy but after 45k miles it started suffering valve seat recession. sypmtoms are the car stall when you start it in the morning or on slowing when breaking. irritating as the car basically die in the middle of the road... i need it to run for good 7 minutes to warm up before driving
any way...gor the valve seat readjusted as 5 out of the 8 valves were blocked

25k miles later started to suffer the same....
I part exchanged it as the wife was not happy with the size ( not the LPG )of the car so got her the Mirage

Japanese cars do have soft valves as i have been told.....

I already discussed my car with Mint LPG in Newport, Gwent who converted my Honda, they are form the same opinion of the soft valve seats on japanese cars
advised me to wait till it is out of the 60k warranty.
And yes I will convert it to LPG put where would I put the tank? on the honda it was in tyre bay in the boot...Outlander boot is flat with no tyre space..... and mind you the LPG tank is so heavy so might cancel the advantage of being electric car with all the wt. we are carrying.

Take care all

Have a look at this link for tank location http://www.poulsbaarlo.nl/nl/hybride-op-lpg.html

Interesting
but how to solve the Valve Seat Recession problem?
I had flash Lube system fitted....might have delayed things but did not prevent it.

This is what I have installed on my Mercedes, it was fitted as part of the installation http://www.jlmlubricants.com/en/products/lpg

I did have the Flash Lube system with the flash Lube lubricant runnig at one drop every 6 seconds. might have delayed Valve seat recession but did not prevent it.
German and english cars will not sffer from this problem as the Japanese cars.this is my worry about the outlander conversion...

SO how did it go. with your LPG Conversion for the PHEV

Well we are considering Outlander PHEV for our family 2A+3Kids once a month 700-750 km trip to our parents and friends etc.
Otherwise, just probably need the battery power for driving around shopping, social etc.
But I'm not sure how much would by l / 100 km
Considering this kind option.
Thanks

Following! Keen to hear of any update on this - Just picked up our 2013 (MY13?) and keen to explore this option too - Petrol prices are now upwards of NZ$3 per litre!

You'll have to search back in the forum to 2014/2015. Quite a few conversions back then. You'll have to do your sums, though, the price of conversion vs. the savings on petrol. LPG is not free either...

Where I live (that's Bulgaria), the LPG is 3 times cheaper than Petrol so it makes sense to convert the vehicle.
The cost of the conversion you will cover in about 2 years.

Sure, if you're a taxi and on the road 24x7.

I only use $40 of petrol per year, so a $1500 LPG conversion would take me 150 years to pay back...

(And that's ignoring the return I could be making on $1500 if I didn't waste it on an LPG conversion)

AndyInOz said:
Also note, that after LPG conversion, you will roughly 30% less miles per gallon.

Yeah, that's a thing to consider as well.

What worries me most is the placement of the LPG, because if it's in the back, it's very dangerous if someone crashes into you.

Back