Jump starting another car

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Togfather

I have just got a new Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Dynamic Safety in diamond red and I love it.

I am disabled and need height because bending my knees is very painful and this car is so easy to get in and out of.

My daughter has a Jeep and it has a flat battery so I said I would jump start it for her, but I cannot see the battery to attach the jump leads to. My question therefore is: Can I jump start another car using jump leads, and if so, how do I do it?

Many thanks in advance, Tog.

The short answer is that you cannot.

The PHEV 12 volt battery is tiny, and cannot deliver enough current to start a car.

Other members of this forum have bought portable lithium batteries so that they can still jump-start other people's cars.

Please read the user manual that came with your car to learn how to get the best from it and to prevent damage to it.

Patronising much!

I am not an idiot.

I have already read the manual, in fact i read it before I bought the car. All 594 pages.

There is nothing in there about jump starting another car, which is why I posted the question. :)

As you're not an idiot and have read all 594 pages, I'm surprised that you don't remember the NOTE on p 9-03 that says "You cannot rescue another vehicle's discharged battery by connecting jumper cables while using this jumper cable terminal"

You're welcome, pompous much!

Oh yes, well of course the first thing to note is that when someone says they are not an idiot - they often are, and that is definitely so in my case.

I am a member of Mensa, but there is a thin line between genius and insanity - and the older I get (now 69) the more often I cross it.

I am also bipolar, which makes me very snippy at times, so I apologise for the tone of my last reply.

Thank you so much for your time and assistance.

Best wishes

Tog :)

No worries Tog me old pal. I'm a curmudgeonly old git and I'm only 48 :D

It wasn't meant in a patronising way, but there is a lot to learn about these vehicles that is different to others that it really is worth reading the manual cover to cover when you first get it, and then again a few months down the line when more of it makes sense. the pdf version is worth having too, as the find function can help to find stuff that is not obvious from the index.

Back