PAT Check on Granny Lead

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyeHybrid

Just picked up my 2014 GX4HS, still getting to know it, but enjoying my first hybrid driving experience.

First time I plugged it in to charge things got a little hot and the plug melted :eek: Inspection suggested a poor connection on the plug-top fuse. Swap the plug, back in same socket, all up and running, nice and cool.

But got me thinking. The Granny lead goes into a standard 13A UK socket. So that component is a 'domestic appliance'? As I understand things, sale of used domestic appliance in the UK requires a recent PAT certificate to be attached at time of sale. (that's why most charity shops won't touch them)
Now I did not get one - I'm not concerned - problem identified and fixed at minimal cost.

Has anyone else had a PAT certificate issued with their used PHEV?

Just interested.

RJS

According to this entry from the National Archives https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.bis.gov.uk/policies/business-sectors/environmental-and-technical-regulations/technical-regulations/ec-product-directives/plugs-and-sockets-etc-safety-regulations these only relate to domestic appliances - so the PHEV wouldn't qualify. However, it doesn't seem that PAT testing is obligatory, merely the best way a seller can demonstrate compliance.

Irrespective of this, any trade seller is also governed by consumer laws regarding unsafe & fit for purpose items - so liable for any costs to rectify. I suppose we should add "Has it been PAT tested?" to questions to ask - not that they will tell you the truth, necessarily. :lol:

Our local charity shop PAT tests the contributions, so try yours, I'm sure they'd do one for you for a small contribution, the test is very quick and simple.

Michael

Thanks Michael, I know a couple of charity shops in this town that do that as you suggest. I'm qualified to issue PAT certificates myself, which I guess is why I asked the question. I've had lots of extension leads to test but no one has ever brought me a Granny Lead. Yet . . . .

Back