Idea to stop ICE from starting when cold

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trex said:
So if you can find the control signal, that heads from the A/C via SUB Can-C to the ETACS (GATEWAY), you may be able to just disconnect it to stop the petrol motor from starting. But errors may appear on the dash as well I suppose. :roll:

I have the wiring diagram for the PHEV here on my computer and will look for it if you want. :) But as you have already been using it for this topic you will probably be quicker.

Regards Trex.

Hi

I realize this is an old post, but i have an Outlander PTC Heater here and i want to use i need to know the CAN bus data in order to start and use it.
Can any of you record CAN ID and date with heater OFF, ON and variable power?

tnx

arber333 said:
Trex said:
So if you can find the control signal, that heads from the A/C via SUB Can-C to the ETACS (GATEWAY), you may be able to just disconnect it to stop the petrol motor from starting. But errors may appear on the dash as well I suppose. :roll:

I have the wiring diagram for the PHEV here on my computer and will look for it if you want. :) But as you have already been using it for this topic you will probably be quicker.

Regards Trex.

Hi

I realize this is an old post, but i have an Outlander PTC Heater here and i want to use i need to know the CAN bus data in order to start and use it.
Can any of you record CAN ID and date with heater OFF, ON and variable power?

tnx
Well, if you describe how to, will do it.

Sorry for delay.
You would need to connect to OBD CAN bus lines directly either via some gizmo like Canalyst II or other reader. I am using Canalyst ere to see what my heater is reporting.
But i cant see any response from 0x185 msg that suppose to be AC compressor and heater command. Someone confirmed its driving AC compressor, but i am not sure it has any effect on heater at all.

Maybe you could record changes of different PIDs using ELM reader. Is it possible?
I would need you to turn on the car and turn off AC. Then with the car turned ON you would toggle the heater. I am positive one of the PIDs from 0x185 to 0x195 is correct one. Heater is reporting its temperature on PID 0x398.

tnx

A

arber333 said:
Sorry for delay.
You would need to connect to OBD CAN bus lines directly either via some gizmo like Canalyst II or other reader. I am using Canalyst ere to see what my heater is reporting.
But i cant see any response from 0x185 msg that suppose to be AC compressor and heater command. Someone confirmed its driving AC compressor, but i am not sure it has any effect on heater at all.

Maybe you could record changes of different PIDs using ELM reader. Is it possible?
I would need you to turn on the car and turn off AC. Then with the car turned ON you would toggle the heater. I am positive one of the PIDs from 0x185 to 0x195 is correct one. Heater is reporting its temperature on PID 0x398.

tnx

A
I have an Tactrix OpenPort2 obd reader. To what soft I should connect it in order to record the information you require?
BTW, the PTC heater do not have anything to do with the cabin heater and AC system at all. You can not trigger it that way.

I tried to put this PID's to Torque without any response (NO DATA , for 0398 as well). Tried to do it via terminal , and also no data. Can you instruct how to do it ?

MiG25 said:
I tried to put this PID's to Torque without any response (NO DATA , for 0398 as well). Tried to do it via terminal , and also no data. Can you instruct how to do it ?

You'll likely need something on the HV can bus, it'll not make it over the gateway to the ODB port. An Arduino Due, a can transceiver and SavvyCan is what I use. An automotive oscilloscope such as a pico scope can also decode can, an Arduino UNO and a MCP2515 can module would also be sufficient

I would recommend a low cost CAN-USB converter such as a PEAK, and then free Busmaster software on a windows laptop.

highvoltagebeetle said:
MiG25 said:

You'll likely need something on the HV can bus, it'll not make it over the gateway to the ODB port. An Arduino Due, a can transceiver and SavvyCan is what I use. An automotive oscilloscope such as a pico scope can also decode can, an Arduino UNO and a MCP2515 can module would also be sufficient

MCP2515 oredered...
Do you think with ESP8266 and CANSAN ti will be possible to log it http://forum.amperka.ru/threads/canhacker-%D0%B8-%D0%B5%D0%B3%D0%BE-%D0%B1%D0%B8%D0%B1%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BA%D0%B8.16659/#post-285310 ?

That'll work no problem. Do you need help with the sketch? Just Serial.print ing the ID and messages bytes would be sufficient and very much appreciated.

Sure i will be needing help...
No idea about sketch , and even no idea where to connect MCP2515 from Outlander side , since OBDII will not work...
But it will take some time when i receive MCP.. from Aliexpress...

highvoltagebeetle said:
Offering to pay for someones time is cheeky? New one on me.

Really? I think that's a very charitable reading of what appears to me to be a public gripe about what the poster thinks is a simple task! I read it as "How much (effort i.e. not money) would it take". A serious offer to pay would have been done by PM or worded more courteously, surely?

Even so, to try and "buy" someone's private time, as a favour, after they have said they are too busy - still seems like cheek to me. :roll:

highvoltagebeetle said:
If you pm me your address I can send you some hardware to play with, pre programmed for logging then you can do what you want with it.

Hi!

Answering to your PM here because i cant send PMs via my newbie status: i have no EleHtr so i can't log messages.

Otherwise i made a CAN gateway to perform the prevention of ICE starting when cold.
Check this: https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3281&p=58113#p58113

The command from A/C ECU is here in byte B: canID 0x185 DLC:8 08 04 20 00 00 00 00 00 When A/C ECU needs to turn on ICE it set B to 0x04. To prevent ICE starting replace it to 0x00

amiralnar said:
Hi!

Answering to your PM here because i cant send PMs via my newbie status: i have no EleHtr so i can't log messages.

Otherwise i made a CAN gateway to perform the prevention of ICE starting when cold.
Check this: https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3281&p=58113#p58113

The command from A/C ECU is here in byte B: canID 0x185 DLC:8 08 04 20 00 00 00 00 00 When A/C ECU needs to turn on ICE it set B to 0x04. To prevent ICE starting replace it to 0x00

That is awesome ! Would you share with this project ? (arduino program , schemes ?)

Looks like it has two MCP2515 , it is placed on input of AC driver and CAN ( in the middle ) ,and simply replace 04 to 00 since it apear ?

highvoltagebeetle said:
How much would it take for you to make time to grab a log?

It's really not a question of money vs time. I'm already relatively "cash rich - time poor" and adding cash doesn't tip the balance in your favour. BTW, I wasn't offended at the suggestion, quite the opposite.

Back