Mitsubishi claims up to 148mpg for Outlander PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max

I read this fantastic article where Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV has claimed to have a spectacular mgpe of 148! What does the members of the Outlander PHEV forum have to say about this?
http://www.just-auto.com/the-just-auto-blog/mitsubishi-claims-up-to-148mpg-for-outlander-phev_id2948.aspx

148? this is as good as it gets. Honestly I didn't expect Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV to cross 130.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the EU comes back with "official" numbers for the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, but 148 MPG would be fantastic.

I'll call BS on this number right now. Face it, an all-electric drivetrain is 3-4 times as efficient as an ICE-only drivetrain, and no full EV to date has received an MPGe number anywhere close to this.

Given the fact that the Outlander PHEV has to lug around a full ICE drivetrain and its SUV size and frontal area, I'd expect to see US EPA numbers of around 75 MPGe on electricity only and around 25 MPG on gasoline only. I'd estimate the combined to be somewhere in the 40 MPGe range for highway driving.

That's still 2x better than anything in its size class, and good enough for me... :cool:

148?!? Maybe if you drive it off a cliff...

This article says that the Japanese test was only able to achieve 125mpge
http://gas2.org/2013/02/19/hints-about-pricing-and-mpg-for-mitsubishi-outlander-plug-in-hybrid/

boyelectric said:
This article says that the Japanese test was only able to achieve 125mpge
http://gas2.org/2013/02/19/hints-about-pricing-and-mpg-for-mitsubishi-outlander-plug-in-hybrid/
I wonder what the comparison in standards is between the US MPG test and the MPG test in Japan.

It's a common mistake with hybrid vehicles that fuel consumption values only are published. In order to reasonably judge high mpg or low litre numbers, the amount of kWh has to be considered. But: the latter value hardly ever gets published. Now, a PHEV Outlander can be used for commuting with zero fuel consumption but let's say 20 something kWh per 100 kilometers -or- with zero kWh consumption but 4 to 6 litres per 100 kilometers (hypermilers probably reach '4', 'normal' people rather a '6'..., it finally all depends how efficient people drive!). A potential buyer has yet to figure out this for his personal driving profile and pattern...

No kidding... On my Plug-in Prius, which is rated at 95 MPGe, my MPG per tank has been:

80MPG
80MPG
120MPG
120MPG
101MPG
105MPG
102MPG
and my current tank, at 365 miles so far: 136MPG

Totally depends on your ability to fit your trips into the electric range or not. My tanks with low mpg had numerous longer trips, which kicked on the ICE. Tanks with high MPG were done with lots of shorter commutes, more befitting the electric range.

If we knew the distance of the test that the EPA uses for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, would we be able to find out the Outlander PHEV's distance per kW?

For that matter, will we be able to figure it out once driving the PHEV? There are some on the Nissan Leaf forum who have measured it, but that's easier to do because you can measure the power in and the distance out, there is no gas to factor in.

Just thinking through this - on the Outlander PHEV, if we knew how low the software allows the battery charge to get, we could drive a measurable distance and when the battery has run out, we can decide how many miles/kW (depending on driving style and road conditions and hills etc however, this will change).

Back