Cleaning wheels?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maby

I have a terrible track record with alloy wheels - I've never paid them enough attention and they always look like the surface of the moon after a few years!

I'm really going to try to mend my ways this time! Any recommendations for cleaning products and regimes? (spending a couple of hours on each wheel is not an option!)

I use the autoglym 'clean wheels' spray, it's awesome. A separate wheel brush helps get in the gaps easily. I do find the regen braking greatly reduces the amount of brake dust on front wheels though so wheels not in bad condition at all for a large car.
There are plenty of products and I'll read other posts with interest, but the circa £6 when on offer autoglym one has worked well on every car I've had. http://www.halfords.com/motoring/cleaning-products/alloy-wheel-cleaner/autoglym-clean-wheels-500ml but available in loads of retailers.

aitchjaybee said:
I use the autoglym 'clean wheels' spray, it's awesome. A separate wheel brush helps get in the gaps easily. I do find the regen braking greatly reduces the amount of brake dust on front wheels though so wheels not in bad condition at all for a large car.
There are plenty of products and I'll read other posts with interest, but the circa £6 when on offer autoglym one has worked well on every car I've had. http://www.halfords.com/motoring/cleaning-products/alloy-wheel-cleaner/autoglym-clean-wheels-500ml but available in loads of retailers.

Is that one you can spray around freely, or do you have to take care to keep it off the disks?

This one is fine even if you accidentally spray on the paint, yes ok with discs. They have a 'custom wheel cleaner' applied by brush which is a bit harsher. But this one is really quick and easy. There's a video here http://www.autoglym.com/products/products/clean-wheels# and you can see they just spray freely.

Excellent! I've always liked Autoglym, so that looks like a good candidate!

Do you apply any kind of wax or other sealer after it's clean, or just get the gunk off and let it dry?

I personally don't, the wheels don't get that bad, but a mate with a Porsche and big brakes uses their aerosol spray, I think it is simply called autoglym wheel seal, and he swears by it. But he also cleans his car with a clay bar (yes really) and doesn't have kids so has sooooo much more time than me!
The other spray I swear by is a 'rapid detailer', a kind of waterless mini wash n wax. Spray on, wipe off, car looks like it's had a wash and wax. If the cars got bird muck / muddy hand or finger prints / boot scuffs in isolated places or whatever, it avoid a whole wash.

OK - bought it and tried it - and the results look good...

I was surprised to read the ingredients and see hydrochloric acid - presumably quite dilute, but reinforces the instruction to only leave on for a minute and to then rinse very well!

I also got some of the alloy wheel top coat - would have applied it, but it started raining again, so it will have to wait. I really don't want to wreck another set of alloys!

maby said:
OK - bought it and tried it - and the results look good...

I was surprised to read the ingredients and see hydrochloric acid - presumably quite dilute, but reinforces the instruction to only leave on for a minute and to then rinse very well!

I also got some of the alloy wheel top coat - would have applied it, but it started raining again, so it will have to wait. I really don't want to wreck another set of alloys!
Great, glad to hear it worked well. I'll be interested to hear if you think the seal spray does a good job in due course.

Back