Got a stone chip already!!!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maby

dead in the middle of the bonnet - wonder if the paint pencil is out yet?

I've got a full depth door chip too, thanks to a Nissan leaf in the office car park. Right in the middle of the door :(

Just spoke to our local dealer and the touch-up pens are available (when we bought our old Prius, it took Toyota close to 6 months to get round to selling them) - £6.75...

maby said:
Just spoke to our local dealer and the touch-up pens are available (when we bought our old Prius, it took Toyota close to 6 months to get round to selling them) - £6.75...
magic, thanks. i'll sort myself out one too

When I Picked up my Phev it was raining heavily and as such i could not do a full inspection as i would have liked (i know the old never buy a car in the rain etc) a few days and 1000 miles later i washed the car and found a small amount of what looked like tipex on the car (i have a white one). Using some secret chemicals and luck i removed said tipex and found a small scratch that looked like some one had tried to cover up.

I am not saying that the dealer had done this but you never know. I had a local company come and touch it up ( the guy only charged me £30).

Now after 6500 miles in 10 weeks the front is peppered with small marks. I shudder to think what it will be like in 4 years when it goes back to the lease company.

I've had 2 punctures (screws) and a motorbike handle gouge down the rear 3/4 panel... nice. I suspect given it's size, it's going to get a battering in super market carparks etc. over my time with it :-(

webbo73 said:
I've had 2 punctures (screws) and a motorbike handle gouge down the rear 3/4 panel... nice. I suspect given it's size, it's going to get a battering in super market carparks etc. over my time with it :-(

It is the downside to buying a new car! I'm now parking in the furthest corner of the supermarket car park in order to avoid anyone parking next to me - I suppose I need the exercise of walking half a mile to the car!

You guys are lucky! I killed a sheep :eek: . Hit it full frontal, right in the middle of the car. Plastic rad grille damaged, dent in bonnet, oil cooler needs replacing. The sheep is not so well off.

turpin1548 said:
You guys are lucky! I killed a sheep :eek: . Hit it full frontal, right in the middle of the car. Plastic rad grille damaged, dent in bonnet, oil cooler needs replacing. The sheep is not so well off.

You're going to need quite a few paint pencils for that...

maby said:
turpin1548 said:

You're going to need quite a few paint pencils for that...

...and quite a lot of mint sauce.

I'm worried about chips and the like, was looking at protective films or coatings but wondering if its worth it. Has anyone done any preventative measures or is it all futile and goes hand in hand with owing a new car.

baldboater said:
When I Picked up my Phev it was raining heavily and as such i could not do a full inspection as i would have liked (i know the old never buy a car in the rain etc) a few days and 1000 miles later i washed the car and found a small amount of what looked like tipex on the car (i have a white one). Using some secret chemicals and luck i removed said tipex and found a small scratch that looked like some one had tried to cover up.

I am not saying that the dealer had done this but you never know. I had a local company come and touch it up ( the guy only charged me £30).

Now after 6500 miles in 10 weeks the front is peppered with small marks. I shudder to think what it will be like in 4 years when it goes back to the lease company.
It is a known problem with the white and the black paint, those colours are rather vulnerable on the PHEV. My grey one is still unmarked after 27000 Km.
It had the Waxoil paint treatment before delivery. My dealer insisted.

I arrived home on Friday evening (very stormy in Southern England), locked the car and as I stepped away a gust caught me, almost knocking me over. I watched in amazement as it picked up a wheelie bin from ten feet away, carried across our drive way and thumped the car - now got a ding in the passenger door that will take professional repair! :-(

Back