What does the button mean on my dashboard screen?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you mean in the graphic panel between the two dials? If there are two or more items that it wants to display in that area, it pits up that little icon of a button being pressed to tell you so. If you press and hold the button that controls the display for a second or so, the alternative items are displayed.

The most common example is if you have the satnav guiding you through a route. As you approach each turn, it displays a graphic representation of the turn on the info screen, hiding whatever you had there before. The press button icon will be there towards the top right of the panel and if you press and hold the control button, the turn graphic is removed and the original display reinstated. I think it then puts an exclamation mark at the top of the display to indicate that the turn info has been hidden.

It is documented somewhere in chapter 7, but not terribly clearly - it took me a long time to find it.

that makes sense but to now embarress myself....where is the button to scroll through the display screen?

:roll:

I8Binners said:
that makes sense but to now embarress myself....where is the button to scroll through the display screen?

:roll:

Are you left or right hand drive - not sure where you are?

On a RHD car, there are several rectangular buttons at the extreme right of the dashboard - below the air vent. The exact number will depend on which trim level you have - the controls for things like the lane departure warning are over there and only the GX4hs will have them. They are in two rows - with space for four buttons in each row (if memory serves correctly). The display scroll button is one of the left hand buttons (top row if memory serves correctly again) - the other left hand button opens the tailgate.

The button is the menu button and its pic looks like a few sheets of paper stacked loosely. From the factory, it is the left most button on the top row of buttons on a RHD vehicle. Not actually visible by the driver, but is there none the less. I had mine moved to be visible at the first service, to the most right button hole on the top row. A few minutes by the service tech.

There is a flaw in the design as if you have a trip screen viewed and it is overlayed by another, and you are holding in the button to bring it back, it would be possible to clear the trip data by mistake. You actually have to concentrate too long on the dash and not on the road. There should be a button on the steering wheel, quite separate to the menu button for this purpose. My PHEV aspire has several blank button spots on the steering wheel where this button could live. Come on Mitsubishi, get the design team to work on making the drivers interface better, including the ridiculously small fonts used to display range data on the MMCS.

I'm puzzled as to why they went to the trouble of putting the turn display on the info panel - it's displayed on the MMCS...

equally, why would anyone bother to cancel the turn information? It will disappear as soon as you pass the junction and there really isn't anything of sufficient importance on the info display that you can't wait!

Going back to the original post it could be the same one I got today - top left. The car wouldn't start until I finally realised that the tailgate wasn't quite shut (red bar at back of graphic of car showing). In which case it seems to be indicating something is wrong. :?

It is not until you have some fault screens appear that you will appreciate the poor way that Mitsubishi has incorporated the same button press to perform different operations, that can actually lead to loss of data that might have been important in a drivers on route travel planning.

This is just another in the long list of shortcomings with the PHEV user computer systems. Maybe if as much time was spent by the design team on the driver needs, as has been spent in other areas, we could have a really great tech car.

Back