How Embarrassing

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharky

Went to the garage to fill up for the first time (they delivered it with 1/2 tank of fuel) and after all the studying of the vast manual, could I hell as remember how to open the fuel flap!!, it was dark and luckily the forecourt was not busy. Eventually 15 minutes later I found the black leaver on the floor to release the flap, they could have put a logo on it! After filling up I was stood in the queue to pay and could see through the window a few people looking round the PHEV, seems at the moment it gets a lot of interest.

Sharky said:
Went to the garage to fill up for the first time (they delivered it with 1/2 tank of fuel) and after all the studying of the vast manual, could I hell as remember how to open the fuel flap!!, it was dark and luckily the forecourt was not busy. Eventually 15 minutes later I found the black leaver on the floor to release the flap, they could have put a logo on it! After filling up I was stood in the queue to pay and could see through the window a few people looking round the PHEV, seems at the moment it gets a lot of interest.

I know how you feel. Although in my case it was the charging flap. The petrol filler release is in the same position as on the old Avensis (perhaps all Japanese cars are the same). So I spent ages looking for something similar for the charge flap - had to read the manual in the end. :oops:

That will be me I just know it :shock:
So for lazy bones Steve :? Petrol cap release is near the footwell and the electric charging release is where may I ask?

Thanks in advance from Steve ;)

KentishSteve said:
So for lazy bones Steve :? Petrol cap release is near the footwell and the electric charging release is where may I ask?

There is no lock on the charging flap - just push it in a little and it will pop out.

maby said:
KentishSteve said:

There is no lock on the charging flap - just push it in a little and it will pop out.

Rather like expensive kitchen cupboards with no door handles. ;) Presumably no one will want to steal your electricity (unlike petrol) but they might just bugger up the connectors in revenge :cry: I think an internal release would have been better.

The pin for an internal release is there - I noticed it for the first time yesterday. It appears to be spring loaded and runs against a taper on the flap - it is effectively what pushes the flap open when you press it in. I guess it would not be too difficult to construct a latching mechanism that releases from inside the rear of the vehicle by adding a short Bowden cable and a small pull-handle - but it would be difficult to make it look neat and professional - and is it worth it?

Sharky said:

Been there!

maby said:
The pin for an internal release is there - I noticed it for the first time yesterday. It appears to be spring loaded and runs against a taper on the flap - it is effectively what pushes the flap open when you press it in. I guess it would not be too difficult to construct a latching mechanism that releases from inside the rear of the vehicle by adding a short Bowden cable and a small pull-handle - but it would be difficult to make it look neat and professional - and is it worth it?

The flap can still be opened by pressing on it, so there seems to be no locking advantage with making it open with a pull cord from in the car. The only benefit would be a little less wear on the paint over time from continually pushing on the flap.

greendwarf said:
maby said:
KentishSteve said:

Rather like expensive kitchen cupboards with no door handles. ;) Presumably no one will want to steal your electricity (unlike petrol) but they might just bugger up the connectors in revenge :cry: I think an internal release would have been better.

When the flap's closed I think it's locked with the central locking.

tennopz said:

I'll check next time I'm at the car, but I do not believe that is true.

maby said:
KentishSteve said:

Thanking you maby that's great info ;)

maby said:
tennopz said:

I'll check next time I'm at the car, but I do not believe that is true.

Sorry to disappoint you but just checked and flap still opens even when car is locked

Graham

Back