Acceleration and top speed tested an verified.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torkor

This is my first post on this forum, so I thought it might be appropriate to post a couple of subjective facts :D, not questions.

THe PHEV has a near linear acceleration all the way from 10 to 170 kmh, which feels a little odd. From standstill to 10kmh, it feels sedate, as other testers has confirmed. From 10 to 120 kmh, its fast enough to keep up with most 150 horsepower family cars like Ford Mondeo Volvo V 70, Mazda Cx5 2.2 diesel) and my own 2008 Volvo XC90 D5 185 hp. From 120 kmh to top speed the acceleration is more similar to a 200+ hp car. It will reach top speed (170kmh) quite fast for a SUV. At 170 kmh, it will restrict system power enough to keep the speed, but not accelerate further. It will hold 170 kmh up a slope though.

I have recorded the acceleration data up to 132 kmh with Dynolicious. If this forum would allow me to post pictures in a easy way, I would have posted the graph too.

PHEV
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Hybrid
24. jan. 2014 16:37
Acceleration

0-10 km/h: 0.84 sec
0-20 km/h: 1.62 sec
0-30 km/h: 2.42 sec
0-40 km/h: 3.22 sec
0-50 km/h: 4.00 sec
0-60 km/h: 4.83 sec
0-70 km/h: 5.80 sec
0-80 km/h: 6.95 sec
0-90 km/h: 8.28 sec
0-100 km/h: 9.87 sec
0-110 km/h: 11.74 sec
0-120 km/h: 13.91 sec
0-130 km/h: 16.45 sec
Elapsed Time

60': 3.17 sec @ 37.4 km/h
330': 7.67 sec @ 82.8 km/h
1/8 mi: 11.36 sec @ 106.8 km/h
1000': 14.57 sec @ 122.7 km/h
1/4 mi: 17.30 sec @ 132.5 km/h

Hi.

Thanks for this info !!
Do you get it on charged battery and heated-up engine ?
Its it possible to remeasure on depleted battery ?

Could you measure one more parameter ?
0-100km\h at most possible acceleration on battery without ICE help is also very interesting.

Thanks !

The ICE had working temperature and the Battery was 80 % charged. There is no difference in performance if the battery indicator shows near empty.
I cannot measure again before I get my own car in April. Those measures was done at a weekends test drive.

Thanks for sharing these numbers, it is fun to see what someone in real life gets when compared to what the real Mitsubishi numbers are for the Outlander plug-in hybrid.

The acceleration figures are very interesting.
Actually it is not clear, what power the system generates. My guess is:

Generator creates max 70kW, the ICE is capable of 89kW.
The battery is able to deliver max 60kW.

So:

to 120km/h ICE at lower power rpm delivers 60kW from generator directly to electric motors
+ battery delivers 60kW = 120kW = 160hp
over 120 km/h ICE can reach gradually max power rpm, connects directly and delivers 89kW
+ battery delivers 60kW = 149kW = 200hp

Of course, these are figures when you floor the pedal.

At high speeds there is no power left on the ICE connected to the wheels to run the generator,
and also no need to charge the batteries at such speed.

So the 0-100 km/h test is just the electric motors performance test.

You have to be very careful when driving 140-160 km/h, you still have a huge power reserve.
Only when ICE and electric motors reach their top power rpm you will stop accelerating.

So, actually, 0-100 km/h you have just 160hp available, but theoretically
about 120-140 km/h you should have 200 hp!

I would be glad if somebody could compare the 60 to 120 km/h time to any other car,
because, what I could observe, the overtaking with the PHEV is just great.

However, in an overtaking situation there is always the hesitation of the ICE starting up. If you select "charge" in anticipation, the car reacts immediately.

Interesting to see dyno figures - I think I read somewhere that the ICE is a detuned version of a stock engine (the model number escapes me) and I wonder how long it will be until some techy minded owner finds out how to 'remap' the power management software to tweak up the performance on both ICE and electric motors :geek:

Personally I am really pleased with the 'real world' performance although it is always nice to have a bit more initial oomph to nip into that gap at a roundabout or junction - I have certainly noticed more reluctance when the battery is depleted and a certain lag while the ICE kicks in. I will try the charge trick to see if that makes a difference.

RazMan said:
Interesting to see dyno figures - I think I read somewhere that the ICE is a detuned version of a stock engine (the model number escapes me) and I wonder how long it will be until some techy minded owner finds out how to 'remap' the power management software to tweak up the performance on both ICE and electric motors :geek:

Personally I am really pleased with the 'real world' performance although it is always nice to have a bit more initial oomph to nip into that gap at a roundabout or junction - I have certainly noticed more reluctance when the battery is depleted and a certain lag while the ICE kicks in. I will try the charge trick to see if that makes a difference.

I don't think that tweaking the engine is going to do anything useful, you know. Up to around 45mph, the car has to run in EV or serial hybrid mode and performance is limited by the power output of the electric motors and, indirectly, by the capacity of the generator. As you get up to 50mph and above, it switches to parallel hybrid mode and the petrol engine is coupled directly in - I guess that tweaked firmware could improve acceleration between 50 and 100, but is it worth the risk to the drive train? If you simply tweak the engine management unit without reprogramming the rest of the hybrid control systems, you will leave the overall power management very unbalanced.

Back