Mitsubishis(official?) formula for minimizing ICE when cold.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fragge

Got a mail from the dealer today (for no reason) informing me on how to minimize ICE usage when it's cold outside. Apparently this information was sent to all dealers.

• * Activate ECO mode directly after start, has to be done every time staring the car.
  • * Turn off the AC compressor by pressing the "snowflake" (only needed once, setting is remembered)
  • * Set the temperature to 20 degrees Celsius or less

If these settings are made and there is power in the main battery the engine should only run a very short period when started. They recommend this so that the engine has some oil circulated and isn't completly cold in case of a sudden hard acceleration.

Oh, and I guess this only works on the models with the electric heater fitted (pretty much all cars here i Sweden has it). Otherwise the ICE is your only option for heat to the cabin.

There is one way to avoid starting the ICE at all. The fan needs to be switched off when you start. You can do that either by pressing the Off button for the fan before you turn the engine off or press the start button twice without pressing the break pedal, then press the off button so the fan is not running and after that you can start the engine. You can then restart the fan or the AC after you have started driving and the heater will start working without using the ICE. I haven't tried it in really cold weather but it works down to +5C.

All very interesting, but with the Gx3 my problem is the ICE wouldn't start even at only 3C this morning to provide any heat to clear the windscreen. Apparently happy to use the battery to blow cold air even at full fan speed, air con on, ECO off and temp set at 26C - not very effective at getting rid of the condensation on the inside :cry: (NB. None on outside of screen - same this evening.).

It was only after clearing the screen by hand and actually driving that the ICE final fired up sporadically. I can only think of forcing the ICS by putting it into Charge mode - any other Gx3 users encountered this issue?

greendwarf said:
All very interesting, but with the Gx3 my problem is the ICE wouldn't start even at only 3C this morning to provide any heat to clear the windscreen. Apparently happy to use the battery to blow cold air even at full fan speed, air con on, ECO off and temp set at 26C - not very effective at getting rid of the condensation on the inside :cry: (NB. None on outside of screen - same this evening.).

It was only after clearing the screen by hand and actually driving that the ICE final fired up sporadically. I can only think of forcing the ICS by putting it into Charge mode - any other Gx3 users encountered this issue?
Not what I have experienced with my GX3h at all.

With an outside temp of between 4 & 8 degrees c yesterday I could drive on battery only with the ventilation system at the minimum 15c setting, aircon off, cool air to windscreen & feet. When I selected a higher cabin temperature the ICE immediately fired up and I could feel heat within a couple of minutes.

What is this 15C minimum setting you mention. My PHEV can be set to a minimum of 18C. Looks like there really are programming differences at some pretty basic levels between PHEV's. No simple update down the track, as any fix will not necessarily work on all cars.

If I want to spend some time in the snow next winter, it is probable my PHEV will not really be set up for it.

RobOwen said:
greendwarf said:

With an outside temp of between 4 & 8 degrees c yesterday I could drive on battery only with the ventilation system at the minimum 15c setting, aircon off, cool air to windscreen & feet. When I selected a higher cabin temperature the ICE immediately fired up and I could feel heat within a couple of minutes.

Mines similar experience to yours Rob. Though on quite a few occasions I have to completely turn off the fan even at the lowest setting to get the ice to turn off. Pushing the ECO button can trigger the ICE to cut out at times though and keep the fan on. Haven't managed to work out a hard and fast rule for it though.

As an aside I've found the build up of condensation to be petty bad on the PHEV. Worse than my old crv. Bought one of those reusable moisture absorbing bags at the weekend and put it on the drivers side last night which was completely clear this morning. passenger side still had a lot of condensation on it though. Will try it for a couple more days then might by a second one for the other side.

greendwarf said:

I'm experiencing the same problem as Green Dwarf, a clear windscreen on the outside yes condensation on the inside that requires to be wiped with a towel there are so many droplets. This can't be right?

gwatpe said:
What is this 15C minimum setting you mention. My PHEV can be set to a minimum of 18C. Looks like there really are programming differences at some pretty basic levels between PHEV's. No simple update down the track, as any fix will not necessarily work on all cars.
I think I noticed an earlier post where it was mentioned about an 18c min setting in some markets - It is definitely 15c here in UK (possibly Europe-wide?).

As you say, different set-ups may mean no simple work-around for all owners.

Chrispyduck said:
greendwarf said:

I'm experiencing the same problem as Green Dwarf, a clear windscreen on the outside yes condensation on the inside that requires to be wiped with a towel there are so many droplets. This can't be right?

The most tech I've had in my first ever new car and I've also had to use a towel. Always seems to be condensation left on the inside top left and right corners. What's up with this ????

Paddlepower said:

The most tech I've had in my first ever new car and I've also had to use a towel. Always seems to be condensation left on the inside top left and right corners. What's up with this ????

Do bear in mind that humidity is a lot higher in the winter. All you guys trying to avoid ever burning even a cup full of petrol are never warming the interior up, so never drying it out. I think it is simply getting wetter and wetter.

maby said:
Paddlepower said:

Do bear in mind that humidity is a lot higher in the winter. All you guys trying to avoid ever burning even a cup full of petrol are never warming the interior up, so never drying it out. I think it is simply getting wetter and wetter.

Feet back on the floor with maby again! Your doing a great job of keeping me away from the dealer. However, I'm sure I didn't always get my last car warmed up before affectively keeping the screen clear, but can't be sure about that. First long run tomorrow so will get a chance to see how that goes. I have to take into account that the weather is all over the place at the moment, sure that's not helping.

Paddlepower said:
Feet back on the floor with maby again! Your doing a great job of keeping me away from the dealer. However, I'm sure I didn't always get my last car warmed up before affectively keeping the screen clear, but can't be sure about that. First long run tomorrow so will get a chance to see how that goes. I have to take into account that the weather is all over the place at the moment, sure that's not helping.

There may be a big difference between "didn't always" and "didn't ever" - humidity this time of year is often close to 100%, you get in, possibly with wet shoes or jacket, sit there breathing out more warm, humid air - you are pumping more and more moisture into the interior of the car. If you get it decently warm every few days, you will be driving that moisture out; if not, it is going to just keep building up.

maby said:
Paddlepower said:

There may be a big difference between "didn't always" and "didn't ever" - humidity this time of year is often close to 100%, you get in, possibly with wet shoes or jacket, sit there breathing out more warm, humid air - you are pumping more and more moisture into the interior of the car. If you get it decently warm every few days, you will be driving that moisture out; if not, it is going to just keep building up.

This is saying quite a lot for heating up each morning with the electric heater on the 4h and maybe the reason 4h owners are not complaining about this issue as much. I'm also driving around with the rear window completely misted up. So time to get the heater on and see how it goes.

Being able to still remember driving cars with only very basic heating and no refrigerative air conditioning, The PHEV has great window demisting and creature comfort cabin temperature control. It does however require additional energy to perform these tasks. So what if some use of the ICE is needed. It is not presently illegal and the small amount of petrol needed is still available. The car is a HYBRID and is expected to consume some petrol. So what if the car no longer displays 0.0L/100km at the start of a drive. This does not prevent you driving still. Maybe some bragging rights are diminished. Maybe just use the time the ICE operates to consume some of the petrol that will eventually be programmed to be used by the car with the low petrol consumption use algorithm.

As has been stated before, is is actually a good thing to run the ICE to keep the components lubricated so it will work if called upon at short notice when cold.

RobOwen said:
greendwarf said:

Yes, but my point was that stationary, the ICE didn't fire up and without heat the internal condensation wouldn't go just using cold air from the blower and, of course, until the screen is clear I couldn't drive the car safely. :eek: However, having said this, yesterday at 4C the ICE fired up immediately we pressed the demist button, even on the drive - so I don't know what to expect this morning ;)

Fragge said:
The demist button enables the AC compressor(snowflake symbol) for some reason.

That is how the demist function works on any modern car - it uses the aircon as a dehumidifier. It chills the air first to condense out a lot of the moisture, then heats it resulting in air with a low relative humidity. It may set the aircon to recirculate in order to reduce the humidity even more by passing the air through multiple cycles of dehumidification.

Me to. My Gx3 has so much condensation I have to use a towel as the aircon wont touch it. I don't know why they didn't use the aircon so you can run it as hot, it doesn't take that much, just a case of it changing which way it blows the hot and cold air when it seperates it.
I think if the battery is full, the ICE doesn't seem to run as the charge has nowhere to go, no good if you're sat in traffic but as soon as you get speed up it kicks in.

Back