TPMS

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bilbo59 said:
Decided to go for 36psi front and 38psi rear and will see how that goes for a while. No change to the TPMS sensor light flashing - However I think that the reason it did not flash initially when I changed the wheels is that they probably do not transmit unless there is a change in pressure. By dropping the pressures from delivery to recommended they may have started transmitting and the car did not recognise them. Mitsubishi will hopefully introduce them to each other tomorrow.

Took a pic whilst waiting for my other half to emerge from the airport.

IMG_2378_Forumjpg.jpg

I'd get told off by MY other half for not being parked in the bay properly. :lol: Its not Southend is it?

It depends on your tyres. My car drives best (on Conti Crossmax in summer and Hankook EVO in winter) with 40 PSI on all wheels.

A quick trip to my local Mitsubishi garage (Hodgson Mitsubishi in Gateshead) this morning to have the TPMS sensors initialised to the car has completed my change to winter wheels/tyres. It is a real shame that this garage is giving up its Mitsubishi franchise with no more maintenance being done on Mitsubishi vehicles after December. Steve (Service) and Chris (Technician) could not have been more helpful and quickly had the sensors initialised to the car as well as answering my numerous questions.

They were both knowledgeable enthusiasts on the PHEV technology and also asked me a lot of questions about living with the car on a daily basis.

So - hopefully, job done - Toyo's and OEM wheels stored in the garage and new alloys with Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme's and Mitsubishi TPMS Sensors on the car.

First impressions of the new tyres are very positive, they feel very good on damp/wet roads, much better than the Toyo's which seemed prone to understeer even at low speeds on roundabouts. I have set the pressures at 36psi front and 38psi rear which seems to work well. However, as pointed out by jaapv, different tyres/preferences will dictate the pressures you set for your own PHEV.

My next mission is to find a space saver spare wheel of the correct diameter but I'll start a new thread for that topic!

[/quote]I'd get told off by MY other half for not being parked in the bay properly. :lol: Its not Southend is it?[/quote]

Newcastle Airport and very quiet at that time of day!! Other half is more concerned with having a warm seat!! :D

TPMS on AUS shipped cars is not available. Luckily there are plenty of real time after market options. The ones I have, give psi readout on each tyre and add an audible warning of a loss or increase in pressure or temperature between tyres.

System saved me a tyre replacement recently by warning me of a puncture of a rear tyre. No change to the car handling, and nothing detected by the factory car systems. Tyre monitor alarmed at 28psi and was able to pump tyre manually as needed until it was repaired professionally.

Manufacturer has not provided a spare tyre so we owe it to ourselves to have a working solution. Does not fully replace a spare, but so far monitoring has worked for a significant puncture and paid for itself on the first puncture.

Do you know whether you will need to get the car reprogrammed back to the summer tyres/wheels when you swap them back?

I decided to fit winter tyres to my Outlander PHEV (UK July 2014 model) in preparation for travelling to the Alps this winter and having researched the options decided to go for a separate set of 16 inch wheels for the winter tyres to make it easier to swap between winter and summer tyres. I plan to keep the car for a long time so it seemed worth investing in a separate set of wheels and it is better than keeping swapping tyres on and off the original alloy wheels. I was aware of the new European regulations regarding mandatory tyre pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) on all new cars from Nov 2014 so checked to see if a TPMS was fitted to my PHEV. There is no mention of TPMS in any of the manuals that came with the vehicle and from online research I understood that PHEVs with TPMS have a software setting in the setting configuration screen to switch between two sets of TPMS sensors and I had no reference to TPMS on any of the settings menu options on the car.

Having swapped over the wheels I now have a TPMS warning indicator displayed! OK drat! So now I will need to go and buy a second set of TPMS sensors and have then fitted them to the new wheels!

Oh if only life was that simple! According to the Mitsubishi service centre the UK model PHEV does not have a system setting to allow you to change between two set of wheel TPMS sensors because winter tyres are not very common in the UK! So according to Mitsubishi UK every time I want to switch between the two sets of wheels I will need to take my car into a Mitsubishi garage for them to re-programme the TPMS system using their diagnostic system at a cost of £50 each time!

Could anyone with a manual that contains instructions for the TPMS system scan and send me the relevant pages as my manual contains no information whatsoever on TPMS?

From the Winter Tyres thread:

jaapv said:
cgwilkinson said:
I decided to fit winter tyres to my Outlander PHEV (UK July 2014 model) in preparation for travelling to the Alps this winter and having researched the options decided to go for a separate set of 16 inch wheels for the winter tyres to make it easier to swap between winter and summer tyres. I plan to keep the car for a long time so it seemed worth investing in a separate set of wheels and it is better than keeping swapping tyres on and off the original alloy wheels. I was aware of the new European regulations regarding mandatory tyre pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) on all new cars from Nov 2014 so checked to see if a TPMS was fitted to my PHEV. There is no mention of TPMS in any of the manuals that came with the vehicle and from online research I understood that PHEVs with TPMS have a software setting in the setting configuration screen to switch between two sets of TPMS sensors and I had no reference to TPMS on any of the settings menu options on the car.

Having swapped over the wheels I now have a TPMS warning indicator displayed! OK drat! So now I will need to go and buy a second set of TPMS sensors and have then fitted them to the new wheels!

Oh if only life was that simple! According to the Mitsubishi service centre the UK model PHEV does not have a system setting to allow you to change between two set of wheel TPMS sensors because winter tyres are not very common in the UK! So according to Mitsubishi UK every time I want to switch between the two sets of wheels I will need to take my car into a Mitsubishi garage for them to re-programme the TPMS system using their diagnostic system at a cost of £50 each time!
If I were you I would have them remove the sensors to disable the Mitsubishi system and fit a Steelmate system, where you can simply swop the sensors at a wheel change.

Hi Jaapv,

I have looked at the Steelmate system and it does look really good, I think I might buy one for my other car which has no TPMS. However for the PHEV it does not seems as simple as just removing the sensors as that is what I have effectively just done and the OEM TPMS of course is not happy!. I would need to get the dealer to diable the TPMS which I am not even sure they would agree to do even if it was possible!

I have also had a look at another supplier who can supply cloned sensors which the car would recognise as the same as the ones fitted to the original wheels. However until I am waiting until I am sure exactly how the TPMS works on the PHEV before I decide. Its worrying that even Mitsubsishi do not seem to know how their TPMS works!

As far as I am aware it does not measure the tyre pressure like the Steelmate one, but the running properties of the wheel. As soon as they differ from the other wheels it will give a warning. (Please correct me if I am wrong ;))

jaapv said:
As far as I am aware it does not measure the tyre pressure like the Steelmate one, but the running properties of the wheel. As soon as they differ from the other wheels it will give a warning. (Please correct me if I am wrong ;))

Cars currently delivered in the UK do have tyre pressure monitor valves and the accompanying manual refers to the two sets of IDs for summer/winter tyres but need the dealer to set this up. It would seem to depend on when the car was shipped as to what system you have.

greendwarf said:
jaapv said:

Cars currently delivered in the UK do have tyre pressure monitor valves and the accompanying manual refers to the two sets of IDs for summer/winter tyres but need the dealer to set this up. It would seem to depend on when the car was shipped as to what system you have.

Switching between two sets of sensors will be ok assuming that you have a 4h but I have a 3h and don't want to go to a dealer to reprogram every time so I've decided to go for a set of cloned sensors. I have just had my winter tyres fitted to the oe rims (to minimise any clearance risks if I need to fit chains) and plan to get some non-oem rims for summer use. I've been quoted £240 to fit cloned sensors to the new wheels (when i get them) and refit the original Toyo tyres.

davec said:
Switching between two sets of sensors will be ok assuming that you have a 4h but I have a 3h and don't want to go to a dealer to reprogram every time so I've decided to go for a set of cloned sensors. I have just had my winter tyres fitted to the oe rims (to minimise any clearance risks if I need to fit chains) and plan to get some non-oem rims for summer use. I've been quoted £240 to fit cloned sensors to the new wheels (when i get them) and refit the original Toyo tyres.
I have the 3h too. There is a setting within the MFD to select an alternative set of tyre sensors once they have been paired with the car (one off dealer operation I understand), so swapping between winter & summer tyre & wheel sets entails no more than selecting from the MFD menu.

I have to say that the OEM TPMS seems very expensive as an option as well as not giving any actual tyre pressure information. I have a tyredog system as well as an EBay special. The tyredog measures to 0.5psi increments while the other only measures to 1psi increments. The valve stem sensors may in very unusual circumstances cause a problem with stem breakage, and there is also theft of sensors. I keep the tyredog for my trailers, as it has better sensor range.

We don't get a lot of snow conditions in Metro Australia, so it is unlikely that any cars shipped here will have factory TPMS.

RobOwen said:
davec said:
I have the 3h too. There is a setting within the MFD to select an alternative set of tyre sensors once they have been paired with the car (one off dealer operation I understand), so swapping between winter & summer tyre & wheel sets entails no more than selecting from the MFD menu.

That is such great news! I was utterly convinced that this was another of those functions that needed the 4's MMCS that I hadn't even bothered to read the manual properly on the subject, but now that I have, I can see that you are absolutely right. So I won't be getting cloned sensors, I'll get a set of genuine Mitsubishi sensors for £100 for the summer wheels. Thanks Rob!

I also agree with gwatpe's sentiment in that having bothered to provide sensors (here anyway), they didn't chose a system that actually shows the pressure readout. It's frustrating to have all this hassle and expense with TPMS when you still have to check pressures manually anyway, even though its something I'm in the habit of doing regularly anyway.

Having the psi number displayed in the cabin makes the regular checking of tyre pressure very easy. No excuse for me driving on a tyre with a slow leak at low pressure. It is very difficult to know the PHEV has a rear tyre with low pressure when driving. Just need to add some more USB outlets to the console for all the 5V accessories that are not a factory option.

gwatpe said:
I have to say that the OEM TPMS seems very expensive as an option as well as not giving any actual tyre pressure information. I have a tyredog system as well as an EBay special. The tyredog measures to 0.5psi increments while the other only measures to 1psi increments. The valve stem sensors may in very unusual circumstances cause a problem with stem breakage, and there is also theft of sensors. I keep the tyredog for my trailers, as it has better sensor range.

We don't get a lot of snow conditions in Metro Australia, so it is unlikely that any cars shipped here will have factory TPMS.
It has nothing to do with snow. It is simply a legal requirement on all new cars in the EU, aimed at road safety.

A legal requirement related to TPMS would be that the car does not place the occupants of the vehicle in danger through operation of the car wheel rotation control systems when a sensor that the car knows has failed, causes rapid operation of braking systems resulting in dangerous instability of the car. The PHEV suffers this problem when a wheel sensor fails. TPMS uses the same flawed system, and this is now a legal requirement. Maybe the safety bodies need to get together and work out what is actually safe operation of the car systems. The TPMS seems like a gimmick when no pressure readings are given.

gwatpe said:
A legal requirement related to TPMS would be that the car does not place the occupants of the vehicle in danger through operation of the car wheel rotation control systems when a sensor that the car knows has failed, causes rapid operation of braking systems resulting in dangerous instability of the car. The PHEV suffers this problem when a wheel sensor fails. TPMS uses the same flawed system, and this is now a legal requirement. Maybe the safety bodies need to get together and work out what is actually safe operation of the car systems. The TPMS seems like a gimmick when no pressure readings are given.

Perhaps I'm being dense but I haven't a clue what this post is saying. In my UK PHEV the TPMS merely brings up a warning light if the pressure in one of the tyres drops e.g. slow puncture. I'm not aware that it has any connection with the brakes or changes the way the car drives - or have I got it wrong?

Hi,
Just got my PHEV this week and heading off to the French alps next week but after a very scary slush on the motorway experience in January I have been instructed to get winter tyres sorted before we go! Being the dutiful husband I have sourced some wheels, wintrac extreme tyres and a set of new TPMS sensors from MMC and it's all being put together as I type. My local MMC dealer is going to code in the new sensors next week, however ( finally I get to the point!) they said that the sensors are coded to a particular location on the car and so I should ensure that wheels are clearly marked where they were fitted when I change the wheels over to avoid sensor errors in the future. Does this fit with what other people have been told or experienced ? I can see that it would be incredibly time consuming to try all 10 possible wheel layouts if this is the case and you haven't marked them when you changed !

Steve

Caveman said:
Hi,
Just got my PHEV this week and heading off to the French alps next week but after a very scary slush on the motorway experience in January I have been instructed to get winter tyres sorted before we go! Being the dutiful husband I have sourced some wheels, wintrac extreme tyres and a set of new TPMS sensors from MMC and it's all being put together as I type. My local MMC dealer is going to code in the new sensors next week, however ( finally I get to the point!) they said that the sensors are coded to a particular location on the car and so I should ensure that wheels are clearly marked where they were fitted when I change the wheels over to avoid sensor errors in the future. Does this fit with what other people have been told or experienced ? I can see that it would be incredibly time consuming to try all 10 possible wheel layouts if this is the case and you haven't marked them when you changed !

Steve

Don't think this can be right because it is recommended you swap the tyres around to even up wear. Also the car only has a single sensor light on the dash so position is irrelevant anyway. But if you are worried, most wheel bags (and I assume you will want to keep them covered during the "off" season) are marked up for you.

BTW as I reported elsewhere the car performed brilliantly at half term on winter tyres near Grenoble when the locals were sliding all over the place - apparently the French don't think it will snow in Winter in the Alps :lol:

Back