Winter Tyres

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, the search didn't seem to bring anything up. In February as a family we always drive to French Alps for our ski trip. In the past few years its been done in my wife's Golf (my old car (BMW) not the best in snow!). We had winter tyres on the golf which made it brilliant in snow. I would like to think that my PHEV being 4X4 will be as good or better without winter tyres, but might bite the bullet and get some anyway. Anyone bought any yet? I know there is unlikely to be any historical data - but any thoughts on what it will do to MPG (I won;t worry about electric on such a long trip as the first 20+ miles of 775 is unlikely to make much impact :mrgreen: )

Thoughts?

Do a forum search - this topic has very definitely been done to death - are they necessary? If so, which to buy? Fit to original rims, or buy a second set of rims? etc. etc.

stevothesaddler said:
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, the search didn't seem to bring anything up. In February as a family we always drive to French Alps for our ski trip. In the past few years its been done in my wife's Golf (my old car (BMW) not the best in snow!). We had winter tyres on the golf which made it brilliant in snow. I would like to think that my PHEV being 4X4 will be as good or better without winter tyres, but might bite the bullet and get some anyway. Anyone bought any yet? I know there is unlikely to be any historical data - but any thoughts on what it will do to MPG (I won;t worry about electric on such a long trip as the first 20+ miles of 775 is unlikely to make much impact :mrgreen: )

Thoughts?

Plenty of historical data. Thousands of these PHEVs run on winter tyres on the continent, as the UK only got them a year later.

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=460

stevothesaddler said:

Thoughts?

I you're in any doubt about needing winter tyres (even for a 4x4) just watch this test by Autocar http://youtu.be/7l2cMlNRX_A
I have always used them and I'm in no doubt about their usefulness.
A new set of 18" alloys fitted with Bridgestone Blizzak LM80-EVO tyres will be going on my GX4h this weekend

stevothesaddler said:

Thoughts?

I just bought the following wheels & tyres:

Tekno RX7 Silver 18" 8J ET40
Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme - 225/55/18 98V

I found an immediate and positive difference from the OEM tyres and the car is now very much better to drive in all conditions, particularly damp/wet roads. No snow yet but I'm sure we will have some over the winter here in the North. If I was travelling to the French Alps I would definitely get winter tyres. There are lots of different posts in the forum stating different makes of tyre that owners have bought so lots of experiences to draw from. I have only tried the Vredesteins so cannot comment on any other make.

stevothesaddler said:

Thoughts?

My understanding is that you have to use winter tyres in the French alps anyway - I bought these http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/bridgestone/blizzak-lm-80-evo/225-55-r18-98v-254454 but haven't had them fitted yet, as not cold enough here in sunny Sarf London :lol:

Thanks for all the suggestions… I look forward to the 20pp thread that I somehow missed :)

Steve

PS - Not obligatory in French Alps… although they are in Switzerland

stevothesaddler said:
Thanks for all the suggestions… I look forward to the 20pp thread that I somehow missed :)

Steve

PS - Not obligatory in French Alps… although they are in Switzerland
Until you meet this sign, which is quite common in the French Alps.... :roll:

images4.jpg

Where we go - that sign can be avoided if necessary... and chains are a cheaper alternative. That said, I have this afternoon ordered some tyre... apparently its a relatively rare size used by very few cars. When I ordered my 4 Yokohamas there were only 10 in UK stock.

Get em quick folks :mrgreen:

Back