Car APP - Not impressed - expecting improvements

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uno78

I like the functions in the app, I do have a few things I expect Mitsubishi to improve.

1. It takes too long to long on to the app
2. Way to often my phone, my tap and my wifes phone is still on the care WIFI, even when logging off the APP correctly. So i have to manually log on to my internett WIFI
3. When in the car, it logs on to the car WIFI which means I loose my 3G/4G when out driving. I can off course switch WIFI off on my phone but that´s why i always leave 3G and WIFI on to not have to make changes all day. I work online all day everywhere.
4. Quite often the initial log on screen is the same as last time i logged off; so i have to refresh - WHY?

It might seem picky, but I bought a great car which has a painfull phone APP. It should be fun and easy to use the APP, not like this where it takes to long and I have to refresh and reset WIFI logg on..
Starting the pre-heating should not take 60sec, it should take 2-6sec.

Am I wrong? Does anyone else feel the same or do you experience better functionalities?

Spot on.

I have the same needs as you to be connected and it’s very annoying to manually connect/disconnect to the car’s Wi-Fi each time.

I also need to schedule two timers each day for pre heating/venting. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. And why are the heating only runs for ten minutes? That is no way near enough to melt the snow on the windows. Running time for the heater shouldn’t be a fixed time.
/MG

I don`t have any problems with connect/disconnect. When I start the app my phone (android) connects to the car, when I close the app the phone automatically disconnects from the car and connects again to my home wi-fi. No connection when I`m in the car if I don`t start up the app. I don`t have to mess with any settings in the phone.

I agree the app is a bit slow but it`s the confirmation that takes time, not the command. Eg if you switch on the lights, the lights turns on instantly when you hit the button on the app but it takes about 10 sek to get the confirmation back from the car.

The range of the cars wi-fi is very poor but can be inproved with a reapeter. It`s a bit tricky to set up as the car don`t have any WPS-button.

Otherwise I`m very pleased with the car but there is some irritating small details.
The warningsound for pedistrians can`t be shut off permanently and the folding mirrors can`t be used in a proper way. If you fold them in with the button on the door, eg when parking close to a wall, they folds out when you unlock the car, right in to the wall! Of course you can disable the autofolding but it`s nice to have as an indicator that the car is locked. On most other cars the manual button overrides the autofolding, so if you fold the mirrors manually you have to unfold them manually.

Small things but irritating on an otherwise very nice car.

GStam said:
ok, I'm using an iPhone. So there is our difference.

/MG
I use HTC One with KitKat, so OS is not the issue then...

I still think it´s a far cry from the quality of the car, the app needs work and should be more user friendly like you say to be able to have more than 1 pre-heat pr day and to decide the length of each cycle. More should be done, but in general Mitsubishi should get a new app developer hired pronto.
Still, had it on a long drive today on summer tires for the first time. Just love it, hardly any noise (use studded winter tires) and a smooooth ride :D

Yes I agree. It is a problem having Iphone where yau manually have to connect and disconnect all the time.

Just wondering about the car app.

I understand that you can not adjust some of the settings from within the PHEV itself which you can from the car app. For instance, from the app you could set the heating in the car to switch on at 7 am whilst you could not do that from within the car itself. Does that mean that you have to have a wifi connection present at all times between your ipad/ android device and the car in order for the settings to take effect? For instance, if I connected with the app via wifi to the car, set the heating on for 7 am and then disconnected the wifi, would the heating still come on at 7 am? Or would I have to be connected via wifi at 7 am in order for the heating to come on?

apyds said:
Just wondering about the car app.

I understand that you can not adjust some of the settings from within the PHEV itself which you can from the car app. For instance, from the app you could set the heating in the car to switch on at 7 am whilst you could not do that from within the car itself. Does that mean that you have to have a wifi connection present at all times between your ipad/ android device and the car in order for the settings to take effect? For instance, if I connected with the app via wifi to the car, set the heating on for 7 am and then disconnected the wifi, would the heating still come on at 7 am? Or would I have to be connected via wifi at 7 am in order for the heating to come on?

I will have to check, but I think you can set these heating intervals at least in the car as well. Once you have sent a new setting from your mobile or tab to the car it is programmed to do as you have set. No need to be on the car wifi any longer.
Remember though if you set 7am for Monday, this will happen every Monday until you change the setting.

Weather or not you can sett all the App settings from the car itself, i have never checked. And to be fair, i'd rather sit in my house and do it than in the car. Then again, if you have poor reception to the car from the comfort of you home it would possibly be easier/comfier to do it in the car...

Uno78 said:
I will have to check, but I think you can set these heating intervals at least in the car as well. Once you have sent a new setting from your mobile or tab to the car it is programmed to do as you have set. No need to be on the car wifi any longer.
Remember though if you set 7am for Monday, this will happen every Monday until you change the setting.

Weather or not you can sett all the App settings from the car itself, i have never checked. And to be fair, i'd rather sit in my house and do it than in the car. Then again, if you have poor reception to the car from the comfort of you home it would possibly be easier/comfier to do it in the car...

Thanks Uno; that's very helpful. I would be grateful if you would check as I could not believe it when Mitsubishi told me it could not be set from the car itself. I had fears that I would have to leave my tablet/ phone near the car overnight in order for my settings to take effect but at least you have laid those fears to rest so thank you!

Hi

Yes Climate control schedule settings can be made in the car.

No, you're phone does't need to be near the car. The schedule in the car runs until changed.

/MG

I had an issue with connectivity from my Samsung Galaxy SIII (Android) to the PHEV. It would connect through the app and then immediately disconnect, even when next to the car.

Trying with the wifi connection would say that "network disabled because internet connection is slow".

Solution for those facing a similar problem:

Go to Setup->WiFi Networks->Advanced (left-button click to bring up options, one of which is Advanced), and un-tick "Auto network switch".

Hi

But leaving the phone in this mode makes the Internet less reliable in general as it will prefer poor wifi connections over more reliable mobile signal.

Generally, I've stopped using the app now the novelty has worn off.

Kind regards
Mark

Mark

I agree the app is very poor. I got to see the battery level once on my iphone standing next to the car but cannot do it inside the house even though I can stand by a window 4 ft from the front bumper. At this time of year I only want to see the state of charge when plugged in and I can do this with a power monitor ( the reading drops by 3kw when fully charged). I'll see if the tech guy at the dealer can get it working as it would be great to defrost before use come winter.

WattCar said:
Mark
I'll see if the tech guy at the dealer can get it working as it would be great to defrost before use come winter.

Hi,

As long as you leave at a predictable time you can set the timer so it heats ready for you to leave for work without using the app. If you just want to tell it to heat 10 minutes before you set off then having the app work would be very usefull indeed. Currently a combination of the poor range, the slowness of the app, and having to compromise the phone's settings to get it to connect makes it a bigger pain than putting on a pair of gloves when setting off on a cold morning :(

Kind regards,
Mark

Back