Brake Lights

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMB

Do the brake lights come on when using the paddle to slow down? Still haven't received my user manual yet so unable to check.

Cheers

Indeed they don't and its something to take into account when 'paddling' towards junctions and roundabouts - I have had a few close calls with people behind me not realising that I am slowing down.
I have often thought it would be a good idea to have 'two stage' brake lights - the first to warn of deceleration (which can be quite good at B5) and the second to warn of actual braking.

I suspect that Mitsubishi did not intend the paddles to be used for regular braking. I’m as yet unconvinced of any advantage of using them that way either; lightly pressing the brake pedal gives the same regeneration and it is a more controllable way of driving.
I think M. meant the paddles to be able to use the braking power to drive downhill without lighting up the brake lights permanently. Like the mountain settings on a normal automatic gearbox.
And, of course, the preferred feel of compression braking of a conventional stick shift car, which does not light up the brake lights either.

One of the interesting things I've found with the regenerative breaking is when the battery is fully charged it feels like the equivalent of B0 or coast mode. As in any traditional car you would expect some level of engine breaking at all times I find when I get in the PHEV fully charged I have to change my breaking style until about 5% of the battery has been consumed. I have had a couple of times when I find myself approaching the vehicle in front a bit quicker than expected and have to apply more pressure to the break pedal than I normally have to.

Yes, that is because the car cannot store its generated electricity anywhere. It gives a good indication of the similarity between the brake pedal and the paddles, which do not function in this situation either.
The first bit of travel of the brake pedal switches the car gradually from B0 to B5, before engaging the mechanical brakes.

No, it is purely electrical/regenerative in the first bit of pedal travel. Only when you depress the pedal further will the mechanical brakes come in.
In the same vein, if you keep the brake pedal depressed “just enough” to hold the car when standing for a red light, the electrical motors will still take power and strain against the brake. If you depress firmly they will switch off.

jaapv said:
The first bit of travel of the brake pedal switches the car gradually from B0 to B5, before engaging the mechanical brakes

On an interesting note I found today that you can control regenerative breaking from 0-5 with the accelerator pedal.

On my way to Ashford yesterday and Royal Tunbridge Wells today I hit two very long descents and found that there is about a half inch of play in the accelerator that allows you to vary the amount of regenerative breaking that is occurring so effectively giving you control over the 0-5 range. So if you set it at 5 as you release the accelerator and the arrow swaps from motor to wheels to wheels to motor you can start to feel the regen breaking kick in and the more you release the accelerator the more regen breaking effect. Was even able to get it to cruise with no arrows, so thinks its the same as the brake pedal, just in reverse.

jaapv said:
No, it is purely electrical/regenerative in the first bit of pedal travel. Only when you depress the pedal further will the mechanical brakes come in.

So why the need for the paddles :?:

SMB said:
jaapv said:

Hi,

Mostly a gimmick in my opinion, although they are useful to control speed when descending hills.

Kind regards,
Mark

SMB said:
jaapv said:

With D being B2 you want to be able to decrease/increase the Regen when coasting. What I've never used is the B setting on the joystick :?

SMB said:
jaapv said:

Because they were in the car anyway... It seemed nicer to assign them a function than to have two holes... :mrgreen:
They are very useful in the mountains nevertheless. ;)

jaapv said:
SMB said:
jaapv said:

Because they were in the car anyway... It seemed nicer to assign them a function than to have two holes... :mrgreen:
They are very useful in the mountains nevertheless. ;)

Fully agree - I use them for any long hill descent.

Back