24 Outlander PHEV in areas without Cell coverage

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alphahelix

Hi, I’m just trying to help my ma with her new outlander phev. She lives rurally and there is no cell coverage, but the car is connected to her phone via Bluetooth and it is connected to her WiFi network. She needs to be able to monitor/schedule the charge with Mitsubishi connect and lives in a cold weather area so preconditioning/heating would be beneficial.

It does not seem like it’s possible to pair up with Mitsubishi connect unless both the car and her phone have cellular coverage. There are areas around here with spotty cell service but it is not enough for data to connect, just voice calling works.

So I have 2 questions; 1 being do I have to drive in to the city to pair this up, and 2 and much more importantly being… Is any of this stuff going to work after its paired? When it is plugged in in the driveway connected via Bluetooth and wifi but no cell … will ANY of the features work? If not this seems like a horrible design choice/oversight by Mitsubishi.

Does anyone else live rurally? Can anyone offer any insight?

Thanks

Yes, awful way to run a railroad. I live in a similar area and have the same problems with my '23.

First off, set up your app the first time where you have both cell data and wifi. Did the dealer not do this? He should!

Once the app and car are connected you should be good to go. I can run the awful, crappy, dumb app from my house. I _think_ the car is connecting to my home wifi. But, we have a very small amount of cell coverage ... but not enough to even send a text reliably so I doubt that it's getting any info that way.

Back