A Running Costs Summary

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zulu67MP

Like many a new owner, I dare say, I’ve kept a careful track of charging and petrol costs as they relate to mileage covered (pics show a summary of my first three months use along with a general view of the more detailed spreadsheet).

As indicated, I don’t do much local running around and have filled the tank to full five times for long-ish journeys. Even though I can’t reap the fullest benefit from a plug-in, after less than 1400 miles the net benefits of combined electric and petrol power over petrol-only (for this car) are clear … and its proving noticeably better than my similar-weight aging LPG-converted SAAB 9-5 HOT could do (I do miss the acceleration a bit though!).

I should perhaps explain that these figures are derived from a little nifty jiggery-pokery based on an assumption of around 22 miles per full charge and a prevailing electricity cost of 32p+ per kWh (battery’s at 71.5% capacity according to Watchdog). That said, I’m comfortable with the results which seem to me to be sufficiently beyond computational error tolerances and so can be regarded as reasonably reliable.

How does this compare with others’ experience? Other owners’ opinion as to whether it’s good, bad or middling would be much appreciated.

Whilst I’m here ‘speaking’ … is there a way to share documents, etc., person-to-person with others on this forum without declaring email addresses for all to see, please?

Also, another motor group I’m a member of routinely sends out an email summary of “activity missed” to all members every few weeks, which is great for encouraging people to keep reading and contributing. I can also heartily recommend automatically emailing responses to all who’ve contributed to specific items, as they’re submitted, if that might be a possible development for this forum too. I guess these are background actions managed by the programs used and so don’t require much, if any, human intervention ... once set-up.

Attachments

• PHEV Running Costs Spreadsheet.jpg
    PHEV Running Costs Spreadsheet.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 117
Oops! … slight error in first Summary pic – now replaced…

Attachments

• PHEV Running Costs Summary_corrected .jpg
    PHEV Running Costs Summary_corrected .jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 108
My Excel records over the past 36 months are not as detailed as yours, we tow a 1500kg caravan several times a year in the UK only.

Over the past 18,900 miles 3,920 kWh and 926.51 litres of fuel, we have noticed since the introduction of E10 petrol our towing fuel consumption has dropped from 30mpg down to 27/28mpg.

oscarmax said:
...since the introduction of E10 petrol our towing fuel consumption has dropped from 30mpg down to 27/28mpg.

That seems about right, 30mpg x .9 = 27. E10 acts like 90% fuel and 10% water.

I have about 3.8k kms and I have so far input every charging and fueling.

I have so far input 1500 Ah (or 330 kWh) and 210 liters of petrol. Depending on where you are the prices you can calculate the cost.

For me it's 23 euros for electricity so far and about 280 euro for fuel. So about 300 euros for 3.8k kilomterers.

The average fuel consumption is about 6.3 liters per 100 km or about 45 British MPG and 37 US MPG. Just keep in mind where I live the allowed speed on the highway is 140 km/h so I tend to drive with such speeds.

Update 29 Nov 2023

8 months into ownership and consumption costs are looking pretty good (or at least I can live with 'em!) with over £100 seemingly saved over barely 3000 miles. Nothing quite like playing with buttons and paddles as best suits driving needs to turn you into a more careful and cost-conscious driver ;) [Of course, if petrol prices weren't so ludicrously high compared with just a few years ago, it wouldn't look so pleasing, perhaps, but the percentage saving would be just the same.]

Attachments

• PHEV Summary 291123.jpg
    PHEV Summary 291123.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 22
I started off down that road but after a short while just thought that it is what it is, I like the car and am going to keep it, so no point looking in that detail anymore.

I have about 3.8k kms and I have so far input every charging and fueling.

I have so far input 1500 Ah (or 330 kWh) and 210 liters of petrol. Depending on where you are the prices you can calculate the cost.

For me it's 23 euros for electricity so far and about 280 euro for fuel. So about 300 euros for 3.8k kilomterers.

The average fuel consumption is about 6.3 liters per 100 km or about 45 British MPG and 37 US MPG. Just keep in mind where I live the allowed speed on the highway is 140 km/h so I tend to drive with such speeds.

Here's the latest on this:

I have done about 7.6k kms.
I have input over 4.1k Ah or about 900 kWh and about 380 liters of petrol. That has so far cost me about 80 euros for electricity and about 550 euros for fuel, so in total about 630 euros for 7.6k kilometers.

The average fuel consumption I have is about 5 liters per 100 kms or about 56 British MPG and 47 US MPG. I have added a lot of city driving lately which helped improve the stats, on the other hand the petrol prices are going up.

I have recorded the cost of every drop of fuel and coulomb of electricity that I've put into my car:
£1255 petrol for 948 litres + £852.2 (domestic) electricity for 4549 kWh = £2107 overall, to cover 17747 miles.
Equivalent to 11.9p/mile (say 12p/mile) but that's not why I bought it.
Using the (dubious) stated range to decide the split between power sources, I reckon it averages about 2 miles/kWh and 43mpg.

I have recorded the cost of every drop of fuel and coulomb of electricity that I've put into my car:
£1255 petrol for 948 litres + £852.2 (domestic) electricity for 4549 kWh = £2107 overall, to cover 17747 miles.
Using the (dubious) stated range to decide the split between power sources, I reckon it averages about 2 miles/kWh and 43mpg.

You have a "better" split of running on electric vs fuel than I do. Being in the American West, I often am driving farther than the battery range and in colder weather. I've used 2 miles per kWh for my calculations but I think even that might be too high.

Using 2 miles/kWh for electric only operation, my 2018 PHEV gets 28.4 miles per gallon when operating as a hybrid. Not impressive in my opinion.

I know from my records that the 2018 PHEV gets 24 MPG when driven at 70-80 mph. I estimate that 25% of my miles are driven under these conditions.

While we've enjoyed traveling in the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, we will be looking at other options when it comes time to replace it.

Yeah, if you want to drive at those speeds a brick shaped car isn't going to be wind efficient.

Dropping down to 60 mph would probably significantly improve your range.

You have a "better" split of running on electric vs fuel than I do. Being in the American West, I often am driving farther than the battery range and in colder weather. I've used 2 miles per kWh for my calculations but I think even that might be too high.

Using 2 miles/kWh for electric only operation, my 2018 PHEV gets 28.4 miles per gallon when operating as a hybrid. Not impressive in my opinion.

I know from my records that the 2018 PHEV gets 24 MPG when driven at 70-80 mph. I estimate that 25% of my miles are driven under these conditions.

While we've enjoyed traveling in the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, we will be looking at other options when it comes time to replace it.
Slow down and you will see much better results.

Like many a new owner, I dare say, I’ve kept a careful track of charging and petrol costs as they relate to mileage covered (pics show a summary of my first three months use along with a general view of the more detailed spreadsheet).

As indicated, I don’t do much local running around and have filled the tank to full five times for long-ish journeys. Even though I can’t reap the fullest benefit from a plug-in, after less than 1400 miles the net benefits of combined electric and petrol power over petrol-only (for this car) are clear … and its proving noticeably better than my similar-weight aging LPG-converted SAAB 9-5 HOT could do (I do miss the acceleration a bit though!).

I should perhaps explain that these figures are derived from a little nifty jiggery-pokery based on an assumption of around 22 miles per full charge and a prevailing electricity cost of 32p+ per kWh (battery’s at 71.5% capacity according to Watchdog). That said, I’m comfortable with the results which seem to me to be sufficiently beyond computational error tolerances and so can be regarded as reasonably reliable.

How does this compare with others’ experience? Other owners’ opinion as to whether it’s good, bad or middling would be much appreciated.

Whilst I’m here ‘speaking’ … is there a way to share documents, etc., person-to-person with others on this forum without declaring email addresses for all to see, please?

Also, another motor group I’m a member of routinely sends out an email summary of “activity missed” to all members every few weeks, which is great for encouraging people to keep reading and contributing. I can also heartily recommend automatically emailing responses to all who’ve contributed to specific items, as they’re submitted, if that might be a possible development for this forum too. I guess these are background actions managed by the programs used and so don’t require much, if any, human intervention ... once set-up.
I'm new to this forum but have had my 2019 OutlanderPHEV for a few years. I keep track of costs with a spread sheet, I don't use the data from the cars computer. I always fill up with gas and record the odometer reading. My spread sheet records date, OD reading, liters pumped and cost. It then calculates LT/100k, MPG cost / KM. The last tank was 5.45l/100k or 51.87MPG. for a cost of 10.3 cents per KM. This seems to be lower than others are reporting. This is December in Canada.

I think you need to negate the miles completed using plugged-in electricity.
Your mpg figure is 'true' but cannot be compared to others without discounting any miles powered by other sources.

2miles/kWh? That's 3.22 km/kWh. I get 5 in Auckland, New Zealand. I'm trying to drive EV mode exclusively for local trips and only permit the ICE to operate when needed for trips that cannot be completed in EV mode, and run it up to full temperature when I do. As for fuel comsumption I can't be bothered doing the calculations any longer, As some else said "it is what it is and I'm keeping the car".

Back