Ambient temperature ventilation

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daff

I read the manual and searched the forum; might be being dense but I can't see a way to set the fan to run to bring in ambient air without either heating or cooling.

I have put the aircon switch into manual mode, so I can prevent cooling.

But if the outside air temp is lower than the temp selected on the heater, it will try to heat it. OK, I can manually set the temp to 15C, but if outside is 14C it will heat it. What I seem to be missing is the ability to set the temperature setting "off" but the fan "on" - "just blow fresh air".

Is there a way?

Thanks,

-- Steve

Daff said:
Excellent, thanks. Hmm, clear user interface!

Steve
Not really.

To be sure, I checked this morning: With the ICE running and the heater set to 15 deg C, the heated coolant from the ICE is not allowed into heater circuit. The thermostatic valve between coolant circuit and heater circuit stays closed, even when the coolant reaches 70 deg C (at which the valve otherwise opens). So, not only the electric heater stays off, but also residual heat from the engine is not fed into the cabin.

It may be worth reminding readers that, if you don't want the ICE to start in cold weather, you must set the heater to 15º before starting the car. The EV mode button may override this behaviour to some extent, but I don't know how much because my older model doesn't have it :).

I see. It would have been nice to have an explicit heater defeat switch. If the engine has to run anyway, then might as well use its waste heat in the cabin. But don't start the engine or deplete the battery just for heating. I'd use that on these autumn days when the need for heat is marginal. I suppose they want to keep the controls as normal as possible though.

Steve

Also am I the only one where if you drive the phev for about 45 minutes. Suddenly it starts adding fresh air, making it feel colder then the temp you had set?

anko said:
you are not going to believe how much has been written on this topic, in the last few years. I think it is THE hottest item in PHEV country ;-)

Who knows ...

Maybe one day complaining about this "topic" ... it will "convince" Mitsubishi to take a solution ... as far as I know this problem is not only for old Outlander PHEV, but still present for the new ones that have the "EV" button too

Yoran said:
Also am I the only one where if you drive the phev for about 45 minutes. Suddenly it starts adding fresh air, making it feel colder then the temp you had set?

Never experience it.

But I don't use any heater in winter, unless I do long trip which will cause to start the ICE.
Which did work fine

In summer AC works well in my PHEV but I guess is not the case you refer above

Yoran said:
Mine does that. So did my previous car. Which happened to be a ..... Mitsubishi Outlander. A diesel, but still a Mitsubishi Outlander.

I think (in) the diesel (I) suffered more from this than (in) the PHEV.

Regarding the theory that setting 15 degrees defeats the heater. Today I drove the car when it was about 14C outside. With the heater turned fully off, the battery range was showing 24 miles. With the heater set to 20C, the range dropped to 16 miles. So I tried setting 15C in the hope that this would bring in unheated air and boost the range estimated, but it was still saying 16 miles. Pressing the "off" switch instantly made it read 24 again. So, right now I'm not sure about this idea that the lowest temperation means unheated... I'll try to do some more experiments.

-- Steve

Hi daff

The guessometer is indeed a guess-o-meter. It is reasonably accurate with ventilation turned off, but with very varying drivingstyles you can get really weired guesstimates. However with heating turned ON (regardless of temp setting) it gets totally crazy. You cannot use the guessometer in any way to judge powerconsumption by the heater/AC. I believe Anko fully when he states that 15=equales HEATER OFF. In fact I have tested this with -15 C outside temp and temp setting 15 does not result in any powerdrain in the heater at all, still guessometer reduces distance considerably between OFF and ON with 15 C temp setting. Best is to just watch heater powerconsumption in the MMC.

15c means heater off
But based on car setting it can turn on AC
When AC is on, the predicted EV range drop by 30% circa

elm70 said:
15c means heater off
But based on car setting it can turn on AC
When AC is on, the predicted EV range drop by 30% circa
Totally agree, it must have been the A/C. When you turn on the heater without AC, it does NOT have an impact on predicted range. But running A/C will have an impact on predicted range, regardless of the temperature setting chosen. So, even at the 15 deg C setting.

Again a bit strange, as the electric heater seems to draw a lot more power than just the A/C.

anko said:
Again a bit strange, as the electric heater seems to draw a lot more power than just the A/C.

Presumably the car can't differentiate between A/C being used with the heating in winter and cooling in summer when consumption will be higher. :idea:

greendwarf said:
anko said:

Presumably the car can't differentiate between A/C being used with the heating in winter and cooling in summer when consumption will be higher. :idea:

If AC is on ... I guess even if it is cold outside .. the car start the AC compressor ... that is somehow expected since AC can be used for de-humidify also in winter ... this AC compressor does consume same energy (more or less) in winter like in summer

The problems that I was facing are:
When clicking on ventilation for the windscreen ... this activate AC ... I need to manually deselect AC every time :evil:
In the past, when I was lowering the temperature down to 15C ... from 15.5c down to 15.0c ... my PHEV did activate AC .. but this I was able to "cure" by a setting inside the MMCS

I did some more tests. AC is definitely off (no LED and no snowflake). The guessometer range drops as soon as the ventilation fan runs, even at 15C setting. The energy monitor confirms that the power drawn from the climate system is negligible when doing that. If I turn the temp up or put the AC on, then I see much higher loads on the energy monitor but the guessometer stays the same. So I guess the guessometer is just a bit crappy - it assumes any use of the climate system is a heavy hit on range, without actually using the current drain to make a proper calculation. I only tested it for a few minutes. Perhaps after a time it will adjust its estimate in light of actual power drain?

Steve

Back