Back to basics

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaapv

I'm so glad that it is summer - on my daily commute when it is not raining - no buttons to push, no worries about engine noise - it is there anyway, no airco, opening the windows doesn't make any difference in economy as there is no roof - no idiotic computers to stop me doing a four-wheel drift, just the basic controls; fuel consumption? Who knows? The meters are even more inaccurate than Mitsubishi :) :) How do I do that? Triumph TR4 1963 - the opposite end of the technological scale to the PHEV... :mrgreen:

Mmmmm, nice! Though I have to say that I've never had a convertible - I hate the sun on my head and can't see the attraction of a car with no roof! But each to their own... I used to drive a very old Landrover and still look at them rather enviously at the traffic lights!

jaapv said:
Safari hat, Bugatti Cap, Red Baron leather helmet - you name it, I've got it... :D

I think this thread is going to need pictures! :)

Will that include the one where you're up to your elbows in the engine bay, trying desperately to find out what's wrong with the b****y thing? Or standing in a cloud of steam, ringing the breakdown van? Give me modern cars, I've had my fill of unreliable rust-buckets! :twisted: ;)

It has been quite reliable for the 32 years I had it :) :)

I only had a broken fan belt once over the years, the Dutch RAC had me going within the hour. Otherwise it always got me home...
This one is before BLMC, you see. (And I happen to know what I am doing ;))

L1000953.jpg

Always hankered after a TR4. I had a Spitfire, into which I dropped a 2 litre straight six out of a GT6. Had to upgrade the brakes and suspension a bit but it made the car, in my mind, Triumph should've made.

jaapv said:
This one is before BLMC, you see.
Lol, I knew many people that were given a living by BLMC.

BLMC.jpg

The rust treatment product industry would never have survived without them. :lol:

Looks lovely, Jaapv. And the right colour, too!

Never forget when my uncle bought a Datsun 120Y. It had a radio, windscreen washers, heater, and (wait for it) FITTED CARPETS!!!!! We thought the Enterprise had landed!

Interesting you should mention that. The TR4 was a very advanced car for its time. It was the first series production car to have (front) disc brakes, it was the first with dashboard vents, it had safety features like a collapsible steering column and dashboard padding and padded knobs and buttons, even a windscreen washer and wind-up windows. And it was an affordable 100 Mph+ car.

On the other hand, the engine is a development from a 1930 Ferguson Tractor engine, it has "Coal Cart" suspension with a rigid rear axle, steering and brakes build up muscle and sound insulation is non-existent.

jaapv said:
Interesting you should mention that. The TR4 was a very advanced car for its time. It was the first series production car to have (front) disc brakes...

No, it was the Citroën DS, in 1955 ;)

Well, let's add "British" ;) And even that is incorrect. the Lancaster from 1902 had them. And the Crossley from 1949. And Morgan. And the Triumph TR3 (1956) and Jensen. So I'll happily drop the Triumph TR4 claim upon research :). But it still was pretty cutting edge at the time.

Just compare the view from behind the wheel to the PHEV dash...;)

tr_1.jpg

Oh dear, I think I've wet myself! That is beauty beyond compare!

It's funny how manufacturers make all sorts of "erroneous" claims for "their" technology. In the 90's Porsche made great play of their auto box being able to be used as a clutchless manual. I had an automatic Riley Elf 1963 model which could do exactly the same thing! You could start off in top gear, if you wanted (not very quickly though!). In fact I wrote to the newspaper which reviewed the Porsche, pointing this out. Never got a reply!

My father's Rover 75 had this automatic clutch. It could be turned off and on by a big knurled wheel under the dash. I wonder why it was not followed up, it was really good.

Back