Can the CHAdeMO socket be replaced by a Type 2 Connector in a 2021 PHEV like Eclipse built on same EV platform?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikepotts64

Australia has opted to back the Type 2 connector as national universal installation. CHAdeMO is available in some locations but even Mitsubishi Dealerships in Sydney are putting in double Type 2 Fast Chargers with no CHAdeMO plugs.
So can the Type 2 socket from the Eclipse be retrofitted to replace the CHAdeMO / Type 1 sockets?

Even with a type 2 plug the on-board charger in the Outlander is limited to 3.7 kW single phase so you wouldn't charge faster than with a type 1 plug.

We're talking about 4 different things here, mine has J1772 aka Type1 AC plus CHAdeMo DC sockect Newer models and many other cars have the Type2 or CCS which is combination of Type2 and a couple of big fat pins for DC. As far as I understand the CCS accepts both theType2 plug for AC and the bigger combo plug for DC with similar control protocols as Type1.

So I expect changing as per the OP question is technically possible and would invovle some panel work under the flap and the respective electrical connections.

For me Type 2 is a SAE J3068 connector, which is an AC-only triphase version of Type 1. Fitting this type of contact on the Outlander would not provide any difference because of the limitations from the on-board charger.
A CCS2 connector would provide fast charging possibilities but you need adapters, as roussir says, because the CHAdeMO and CCS protocols are not compatible. Besides there are known bugs when using DC fast charging on the Outlander so I think it's best to avoid it.

What about a full on conversation to CCS or NACS (aka Tesla)?

I have an older Outlander PHEV (2018 NA) with 115k miles. Tha battery has been abused charging twice a day for most of those miles.

Rather than a simple OEM battery replacement, has anyone gone to a shop that converts ICE vehicles to EV to upgrade the battery and change out the whole charging system for a standard that isn't going away?

Australia has opted to back the Type 2 connector as national universal installation. CHAdeMO is available in some locations but even Mitsubishi Dealerships in Sydney are putting in double Type 2 Fast Chargers with no CHAdeMO plugs.
So can the Type 2 socket from the Eclipse be retrofitted to replace the CHAdeMO / Type 1 sockets?
I absolutely agree wiht Dai Xi Wen. You face the risk of damaging your car, and for the CHAdeMO not working properly again on a Type 2. If the CHAdeMO is working perfectly, I suggest you just buy an adapter from CHAdeMO to Type 2. The mechanisms of the Mitsubishi EV is complex and sophisticated to describe the least, and I wouldn't mess around with such complex and sophisticated systems. You are asking for trouble.

I absolutely agree wiht Dai Xi Wen. You face the risk of damaging your car, and for the CHAdeMO not working properly again on a Type 2. If the CHAdeMO is working perfectly, I suggest you just buy an adapter from CHAdeMO to Type 2. The mechanisms of the Mitsubishi EV is complex and sophisticated to describe the least, and I wouldn't mess around with such complex and sophisticated systems. You are asking for trouble.
Those 2 things are completely different. Type 1 and Type 2 are both AC inputs and differ only in shape and that Type 2 Can be 3 phase but is often Not, as in this case because the onboard charger is only 3.7kW single phase anyway. CHAdemO is DC charging directly into the battery as is the DC part of the CCS which is type 2 plus the DC terminals.

You cannot convert CHAdeMo to Type 1 or 2 they are Chalk and Cheese.

You can get Type 1 to Type 2 and vice versa adapters because the protocol is the same even though the connectors are not, This would only help to be able to charge from AC at different locations but wont give a charge rate advantage over the maximum you can get from the highest rate EVSE cable /box.

For example; My car came with a 240volt, 8Amp EVSE. My wife's Nissan LEAF has a 13 Amp unit. Mine is plugable in New Zealand and Australia into a standard household 10Amp socket. The LEAF's EVSE had a 16Amp plug but is limited to 13Amp. I ran a new circuit and hard wired it, and we can both use that Type1 plug. I also bought another EVSE which can be set to 8, 10,13, or 16Amp maximums and changed it's plug to a 15Amp style and I have a 15Amp outlet to plug it into. At best it shows 14.7Amp when set to 16 so all is well.

All of that has nothing to do with CCS, CHAdeMo or DC.

Back