CAR dead after kept plugged in 18 h to Paris' AUTOLIB stat

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCMSAK1

This morning , after staying plugged in 18 hours at PARIS' AUTOLIB outlet , could not open car with key , had to use emergency key to open front door .
When pushing start button, it lit out blue and nothing else happened . keeping button pushed for few seconds made button turn orange , still everything was dead . no warning message on the Dashboard.
called assistance , they tried booster then suddenly everything came back to life . Strange to notice than battery level appeared at 75% even it it was plugged in during 18 hours while usualy 5-6 hours is enough for full charge.
Could it be caused by too long charging time without PHEV cable control unit ?
did not update software yet .
will talk about it to service people and post back if there is any clear explanation .

THe Car was plugged with the standard cable provided by the AUTOLIB station ( plugged in the car's slow charge Left plug )

I suppose booster refers to a function of the charging station? It seems to me that the car went into some kind of safety cutout at a charger malfunction.

booster refers to the standard booster device used by mecanics to start any car with low battery .
probably car went to some kind of safety state due to overcharge , the problem is there is no warning about potentiality and conséquences of overcharge by Mitsubishi in the manual .

18 hours plugged in with a cable lacking the control functions does suggest overcharge issues. Not something I'd want to risk but hope your car shut itself down for safety.

JCMSAK1 said:
booster refers to the standard booster device used by mecanics to start any car with low battery .
probably car went to some kind of safety state due to overcharge , the problem is there is no warning about potentiality and conséquences of overcharge by Mitsubishi in the manual .
That they used a booster to start the car suggests that the 12V battery was flat. Did you leave it with the lights or some other electric device on?
The 12V system is separate from the main battery and the car cannot start without it, even if the main battery is full.

Titan said:
18 hours plugged in with a cable lacking the control functions does suggest overcharge issues. Not something I'd want to risk but hope your car shut itself down for safety.

I don't think it would charge at all with a cable "lacking the control functions" - the internal charge regulators in the car use those control functions to determine what current they can draw. I don't think the charging point plays any part in protecting against overcharging - that is down to the car's internal circuits.

The above only applies to standard chargers - 16A on a type1-type2 cable. The rapid ChaDeMo chargers bypass all the car's internal circuits and blast the battery directly - obviously there is far more scope for them doing damage if they go wrong.

maby said:
Titan said:

I don't think it would charge at all with a cable "lacking the control functions" - the internal charge regulators in the car use those control functions to determine what current they can draw. I don't think the charging point plays any part in protecting against overcharging - that is down to the car's internal circuits.

The above only applies to standard chargers - 16A on a type1-type2 cable. The rapid ChaDeMo chargers bypass all the car's internal circuits and blast the battery directly - obviously there is far more scope for them doing damage if they go wrong.

As far as I recall form reading a previously posted link about Teslas, the Autolib stations were provided primarily for the Renault car club and although apparently tethered type 2 (not ChaDeMo) there have been reports of problems for non-Renault cars. I think the idea that the 12v battery became discharged is probably correct.

probably the 12v battery , since that day everything is back to normal . Will avoid overcharge in future .

Hi jcmsak1, I just had the same problem, 12v system dead and so car won't start. Agree with your comment about lack of warning of the impending problem.
What did your service people do to fix the problem? Basically a new car so why did it just die when supposed to be charged by main EV battery.
Worse thing is my petrol head kids are giving me grief after me going on about the virtues of EV :oops:

Back