Company car driver - no regrets!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrSlackBladder

After 6 weeks of ownership, just wanted to summarise my thoughts on making the switch from BMW 520D Tourer to Outlander PHEV as a company car. Hopefully it may help what I expect is a large number of company car drivers who visit this forum, wondering whether or not to make the switch from BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc., typical fleet cars, risking ridicule from their peers, to save a packet in tax.

I deliberated for months before ordering, putting up with the milk float jokes from colleagues, reading everything I could about the PHEV. I took delivery just over 6 weeks ago, and have absolutely no regrets. If I had to go back 6 months and make my choice again, I would choose the PHEV. In fact now that several colleagues have had a chance to take a look, ask questions, have a ride/drive, some of them are also making the switch from Mercedes, BMW, etc., to PHEV.

The PHEV is not without its faults, as anyone can see trawling through this forum every day. However, personally I don't regard any of these "faults" as anything more than niggles and/or design preferences......and every car will have niggling issues for somebody.

Comparing PHEV with my old BMW, which I very much enjoyed, here's my personal list of pros and cons in some sort of priority order.......

PHEV GX4Hs Pros over my BMW520d SE Tourer
BIK saving of hundreds of £s each month
Silence of EV driving (novelty still hasn't worn off!)
4WD
Ride height
Rear passenger legroom
Preheat/Defrost timer
Excellent ACC (available on BMWs but I only had CC)

My BMW520d SE Tourer Pros over PHEV GX4hs
Performance (acceleration)
Intuitive iDrive nav/entertainment system (but I'm getting used to PHEV MMCS which can do almost all the iDrive did)
Appearance
Slightly better build quality & luxury feel
Front & rear parking sensors better than rear camera and front sensors on PHEV
Prestige brand/badge

Unlike private buyers, I'm really not that hung up on economy as my company pays for petrol and reimburses electricity charge costs. But I would say that those on high mileage each day would be forever filling up the petrol tank. For those with access to charge points and commutes of 20 miles or less between charges, you will rarely visit the pumps.

Hope this helps some undecided company car drivers to make some choices; and of course these are just my personal opinions, which I'm sure many will disagree with! ;)

thank you Dr S! I too am a company car owner, and (apart from the slight 'design-moan') I am pleased with the PHEV. You mentioned front sensors tho - was that a dealer-fit extra? And also, how does it work with getting elec charging costs back from you company? Our accountants are bit non-plussed with how it would work i.e. would there be any BIK issue etc. Or is it just a casual 'we'll give you £30 a month out of petty cash' arrangement?
cheers!

I'm also a company car driver enjoying their second week, already 1,200 miles under my belt.

Only issue I have is with mobile phone operating, getting to phonebook is a pain. Also trying to dial 1 for answer phone whilst in a call doesn't seem possible unless using phone. Passat much better at this.

MPG without charging on 240 round trip was 35mpg that does include charging on motorway.

Plan to get external socket next deciding between different ones although Chargemaster include online kWh reading which might help me claim back. My view is this is treated like fuel BIK so shouldn't an issue.

byrnehj said:
thank you Dr S! I too am a company car owner, and (apart from the slight 'design-moan') I am pleased with the PHEV. You mentioned front sensors tho - was that a dealer-fit extra? And also, how does it work with getting elec charging costs back from you company? Our accountants are bit non-plussed with how it would work i.e. would there be any BIK issue etc. Or is it just a casual 'we'll give you £30 a month out of petty cash' arrangement?
cheers!

The front parking sensors were dealer fitted option pre delivery, but I wouldn't bother if I had to make the decision again. Most on here don't rate them at all; they're too "corner facing", and can miss a post directly in front of the car!

My (American) company is very strict on expenses; I have a British Gas Installed 16A tethered charge unit at home, which sends use data to my online ChrgeVision account. I print out a spreadsheet of charge used every couple of months, multiply kWh by my tariff unit cost, and submit the claim for reimbursement.

Andy said:
I'm also a company car driver enjoying their second week, already 1,200 miles under my belt.

Only issue I have is with mobile phone operating, getting to phonebook is a pain. Also trying to dial 1 for answer phone whilst in a call doesn't seem possible unless using phone. Passat much better at this.

MPG without charging on 240 round trip was 35mpg that does include charging on motorway.

Plan to get external socket next deciding between different ones although Chargemaster include online kWh reading which might help me claim back. My view is this is treated like fuel BIK so shouldn't an issue.

Now received my first pay packet with revised tax code. Even happier. External socket being fitted 12th Feb decided on Rolec with built in meter

Good detail! I've just switched last week, previous was an A4 Technik 2 cdti, hoping to get some good savings as I mainly drive 6 mile to, and 6 mile from work each day during the week and no more.

roxorx said:
Good detail! I've just switched last week, previous was an A4 Technik 2 cdti, hoping to get some good savings as I mainly drive 6 mile to, and 6 mile from work each day during the week and no more.
That's perfect. I so much hope you got one with electric heater....

Back