Finally done another drive battery test.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trex

Ok after getting out of Sync with my 6 monthly drive battery test I have got to do another.

I do this test by driving with a fully charged drive battery on a Sunday morning, 8am to about 9.15am, (light traffic so few red lights) with no heating or air conditioner along the same route (same speed) after resetting the odometer and note when the petrol motor starts and goes into hybrid mode. The results of the tests are:

1. 52.5kms Just after buying Phev April 2014
2. 52.9kms 6ths months later ie October 2014
3. 51.8kms April 2015 Now this test had notable more traffic (some big area championships soccer games) ie stopped at traffic lights more than last 2
4. 53.0kms October 2015
5. 48.2kms January 2017 at 30.5% SOC (dash) from EVbatmon

Got pulled up twice by the cops (police) :oops:.Traffic conditions were slightly heavier than normal in one section of the loop ( it takes approx. 2.5 loops on my route to flatten battery). Test is in 60 KPH speed zones.

So it looks like degradation of the battery is starting show up. :cry: I knew it had to happen. :roll: But it could have waited a bit longer. :lol:

Battery condition was 86.05% according to EVBatmon.

Regards Trex.

Now as an adjunct to this test I had a empty drive battery and I was enjoying getting to drive the PHEV again finally. ;) I had some R.E.M. playing from my phone through the MMCS, sunroof and windows open so the wind through my hair, and me singing and tapping my fingers........ I am sure you get the picture. :cool: No matter what people whinge around here about the MMCS I think the audio quality is pretty bloody good. :D

So I slipped out on the highway and redid the last part of this test that I had done previously from another topic.

Trex said:
Hi folks,

This will be the last test I will do for awhile. I hope it helps everyone. :)

I picked the flattest area around here ( and it is very flat across the river valley here) on the dual lane freeway (in each direction) that runs past our small city. It is made up of approx. 12kms of 100kph zone and 10km of 110kph zone. I picked that stretch for its easy turn around at each end as well as being flat.

So the test consisted of driving in one direction then the other followed by a quick turnaround at each end. Traffic was light. I sat on 105kph . I used cruise control the whole time except at each end when I was turning around.

Now this is the same as I did the other night but more scientifically ie I ran both directions fully before taking measurements to allow for any wind or elevation changes. I have not, I repeat not done that before. :oops:

Here are the results.

Press save button straight at start with full battery. 15 bars showing (out 16 ) on MMCS when finished test. 7.8L/100k Petrol motor never stopped. B5 15kw

Press Save at 13 bars. 14 bars showing (out 16 ) on MMCS when finished test. 7.8L/100k Petrol motor never stopped. B5 25kw

Press Save at 11 bars. 12 bars showing (out 16 ) on MMCS when finished test. 7.4L/100k Petrol motor stopped a couple of times B5 37kw

Press Save at 8 bars. 9 bars showing (out 16 ) on MMCS when finished test. 7.4L/100k Petrol motor stopped a couple of times. B5 37kw

Press Save at 7 bars. 8 bars showing (out 16 ) on MMCS when finished test. 7.4L/100k Petrol motor stopped a couple of times. B5 37kw

Press Save at 6 bars. 7 bars showing (out 16 ) on MMCS when finished test. 7.4L/100k Petrol motor stopped a couple of times. B5 37kw

Press Save at 4 bars. 5 bars showing (out 16 ) on MMCS when finished test. 7.2L/100k Petrol motor stopped like a proper hybrid. B5 37kw

At 1 bars (normal mode). 1 bars showing (out 16 ) on MMCS when finished test. 7.2L/100k Petrol motor stopped like a proper hybrid. B5 37kw

Note No AC or heater on.

Note The B5 amounts are Regen that I could get at the end of the runs with the paddles set to B5 when turning around.

Note Where I said the petrol motor never stopped it only stopped at each end of the run where I turned around.

Note Where the Petrol motor stopped I read it at the same point of the hybrid cycle.

Note I could not do this test more scientifically without putting it on a dyno. :geek:

Note I have just lost 6 hrs out of my life. :eek:

Note There are no more Notes. :lol:

Regards Trex.

Now this test was done in Nov 2015 but I rerun that 1 bar test at the bottom.

I got 7.3L/100k instead of 7.2. Probably from the sunroof. :lol:

But I had a ball. :D

Regards Trex.

ps I am not trying to rub it in that it was a beautiful summer's morning here to our northern members of this forum. Before you know it, it will be summer there. :cool:

jaapv said:
I think it would be more precise to have a battery condition test.

But jaapv,

I would have missed the drive I finally got in the mighty PHEV. :D

Actually the wife has the PHEV booked into Mitsubishi service next week, I think, for it's yearly. She books it in I pay for it. That's fair isn't it? :)

Will be getting another battery diagnostic report ( I hope ) at the same time which I got them to do last year.

Well i can only say that my phev battery must be pretty crappy i have never gotten past 30km and wished i would have gone for a proper offroad car which also does 10l/100km

Trex said:
Ok after getting out of Sync with my 6 monthly drive battery test I have got to do another.

The results of the tests are:

3. 51.8kms April 2015 Now this test had notable more traffic (some big area championships soccer games) ie stopped at traffic lights more than last 2
4. 53.0kms October 2015
5. 48.2kms January 2016 at 30.5% (dash) battery charge from EVbatmon

Trex are your dates a year out? i.e. 2017

Yoran said:
Well i can only say that my phev battery must be pretty crappy i have never gotten past 30km and wished i would have gone for a proper offroad car which also does 10l/100km
I can get down to 30 km as well, I just have to don my lead-soled boots... :twisted:

Yoran said:

You did see that these tests were only done in 60 KPH zones and with light traffic and no heating or A/C.?

At what speed and conditions are you only getting 30kms in your PHEV?

What problems are you having with it for calling it not a "proper" offroad car. :?

ian4x4 said:
Trex said:

The results of the tests are:

4. 53.0kms October 2015
5. 48.2kms January 2016 at 30.5% (dash) battery charge from EVbatmon

Trex are your dates a year out? i.e. 2017

Oops. Fixed now. :oops:

Come back 2016 I miss (missed) you. :)

Back