From E-Class to Phev - My first impressions.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stvtech

Well it finally arrived. I lease my company cars, and thanks to the greedy gubberment, I was looking for something a bit more tax efficient this time around. The Phev seemed to fit the bill. I have a 19.4 mile round trip commute, so I consider my usage pattern to be ideal.

Whilst I did have an opportunity to test drive via an acquaintance of mine who has owned one since last September, I chose not to because this time I had to let my head rule my right foot. I’ve had an Outlander before, albeit disguised as a Citroen (C-Crosser), and diesel to boot. So I knew the vehicle style would suit my needs, there was just a question mark over the Hybrid powertrain.

I have been more than happy with my E-Class estate with 2.2 litre diesel lump. Comfortable, plenty of grunt, parks itself, etc. etc., so I was a little nervous about finally discovering what I’d let myself in for.

Here are my initial thoughts, having had it for just one afternoon so far:

Slow (initially) - from a standing start it seems painfully lacking in get-up-and-go. Not that I’m the type to have been revving the engine of vehicles past whilst waiting for the lights to go green, but there are some very busy traffic islands I frequently negotiate and a spritely sortie onto same is often essential if one desires to proceed without upsetting anyone. Haven’t put that to the test in the Phev yet...

Eager - once the ‘go’ has been achieved, the problem seems to be keeping the speed down to 30mph. It feels like driving a horse that wants to gallop off - requiring pulling in of the reigns in order to maintain a more sedate pace as dictated by the speed limit. I like this aspect, however.

Floats like a butterfly - Well, is light on its, err, wheels anyhow. You wouldn’t think that this is a behemoth weighing 2 tonnes, as the drive feels light and effortless. Getting back behind the wheel of the Merc (yes, I’ve still got it for now) brings about feelings of weight, stiffness, and more clunk than click.

Noisily Quiet - A contradiction in itself, but because of the lack of engine noise, everything else seems loud. The whirr of the motors (reminds me of being on a commuter train), road noise, wind noise. The only time I perceive the car to be silent, is when ‘ticking over’ (electrically) around car parks.

Basic Interior - Leather, yes, but the cabin is pretty ordinary. This is not really an issue, as I knew what to expect from the outset. The rear seat squabs are shorter than most cars (as attested to by my 12yr old daughter), but up front I am comfortable and generally happy with the seating position.

Economy - Too early to say, but it was displayed that the delivery driver who drove it from Bradford to Birmingham achieved 35.6 miles per gallon.
The Merc would achieve at least 54mpg on that journey, probably more, but the long-term average mpg of the Merc is only 33.6mpg. I know I’m going to do better on the commute, so no issues there.

Have I made the right choice ? I certainly don’t feel that I have made the wrong one, but I reserve final judgement until I have had the chance to experience the car a bit more. But it has to be said, my back pocket will certainly be patting me on the back, once the tax office issues my new code :D .

Stvtech, I was in the same position as you last year, E class estate to the PHEV. Having now got used to the milk float the Merc seems a distant memory. The only thing I miss is the auto dim rear view mirror, a godsend on long motorway journeys after dark. As for the speed you will soon get used to throwing it around and it's no slouch off the line if you really give it the boot. I have got to the stage now where I just get in and drive and think of all the money I'm saving on my BIK.

Yeah, the Auto Dim mirror is just one example of how Merc do things that as a driver, you just end up taking for granted.

However, it’s good to revisit having barn doors for door mirrors, and the wife has always preferred the higher ride height of a 4x4 (I’ve had a fair few different 4x4’s in my time). Voice recognition seems to be more accurate than the Merc’s, and I prefer the ‘keep key in pocket’ style entry.

I’ve tried ‘flooring’ it to get a better standing start, but to no avail - perhaps my technique requires honing if you think it can be improved.

I was quite perplexed when I took delivery, I had no instruction from the delivery guy - he just got an endless stream of signatures and hightailed it off to meet another driver.
Took me over a minute to find the start button, and a further 5 to work out how to power it up beyond ACC position. Then another five minutes coaxing it into drive, so all in all almost a quarter of an hour it took before I could get the damn thing to move!

All good fun though.

I will add one more thing.... that is find out how to release the fuel (petrol) filler flap, it was my one embarrassing moment (10 mins) at the petrol station in the dark, fumbling around trying to find how to open the flap. Clue... drivers side, black lever buried in the black carpet near the door sill!!

If you want get up and go, just push the charge button first and the accelerator afterwards. The hesitation is the engine starting up to supply the extra power to the electric motors.

@Sharky
Thanks for mentioning that, will check it out this morning.

@Jaapv
Cheers. Will give that a go when I set out in a few moments time... ;)

I'm not heading straight to the office this morning, hence a much later start than usual. Pre-heat is running as we speak, so there's a theory to test there too!

Well I too am joining the E220 to PHEV club. Current Merc lease expires 11 May but I was told delivery mid April for the GX5H PHEV (but they will have to keep it until 10 May!).

I have loved my Merc and will miss the excellent acceleration from it, especially when joining motorways. I will not miss getting stuck in only modestly wet fields when out fishing or not being able to reverse up a slight incline off my drive in an inch of snow.

A weekend test drive left me excited and I particularly liked the PHEV driving position and visibility. It (GX4HS) had all of the features I have become used to although I could not get my old Ipod 160gb with almost a full drive to load.

I am sure I am not alone in saying that the change is purely for the personal BIK savings and not a burning desire to save the planet, had an X3 or 320 X-Drive offered even half the BIK savings of the PHEV I may have considered them but they don't so I didn't.

The only problem so far is that in order to have a charging point installed at home, I have been told I need to upgrade my 25 year old seven-way fuseboard to a current 10 or 12 way otherwise it will be charging at home via the normal mains.

I hope it is worth the wait!

Ron

My E220 lease doesn't conclude until May either, but I couldn't wait any longer :twisted:

I have winter tyres on the Merc, which made all the difference this winter. On normal tyres it was impossible to pull away at a certain T-junction (on a hill) without wheelspin if the road was even the slightest bit damp - no matter how carefully I tried to pull away. Winter tyres made that junction a whole lot more Merc friendly, and when we did have a slight sprinkling of the white stuff, the Merc was far more capable - competent even.

I enjoyed my drive to work in the Phev this morning. More so than I did driving home yesterday afternoon (first ever drive), as I was more acquainted with its dimensions and handling.

Yes, I'm going to miss the Merc's raw power and acceleration, but I'm not going to miss the sometimes rough growling of the diesel lump, or the bass level vibrations at idle. Gone will be the days of turning off the stop-start at fast islands and junctions (although this may be replaced by hitting the charge button for an expedited get-away).
And I won't miss the damn car beeping to tell me the vehicle in front has just turned off (note, past tense!), or that a pedestrian has just walked up to the bus-stop.

I welcome the lovely warm cabin that I got into this morning, and not having to wait 3-4 miles before the heat from the Merc's seats was able to penetrate my outer clothing. And I welcome the view from the reversing camera instead of staring into the rear-view mirror at the parking sensor display.

Just made the fateful call to Mercedes Finance to say "come get your car!". The quicker they come, the shallower the divots in my front lawn will be, but of course, there's a pound of flesh that they'll be needing first!

Interesting comments and thanks for sharing.
I have had mine for just over six months now and still enjoying it.
There is definitely a slight but perceptable delay when pulling off fast as the motors spool up.
However it is surprisingly quick if you boot it although the sound it makes (of overreving engine and whirr) is not too nice.
On economy, most of my trips in London are short and in electric. Typically I get 20 miles. Thereafter it is 30-40 mpg depending on speed and driving which is precisely what I was expecting for 2 tonne SUV powered by a 2 litre petrol engine.
As a London vehicle I love it - no congestion charge, free parking in Westminster, cheap resident's parking, no road tax, big enough not to be bullied, firm but comfortable suspension on 18s for the potholes, smart but not flash (and unlike RR/X5 not attractive to the criminal fraternity), light controls, good sized boot.
Also my children like the slightly raised rear seat which is good for visibility.
Just get irritated by slow screen start up and the damn bongs...

Day two, and came across the first thing that I find comparatively woeful on the Phev - the Bluetooth hands free.

SHMBO phoned me during my commute this morning , and it was only on the third attempt that I managed to maintain the call without it cutting off (nothing to do with signal strength). I was disappointed to discover that the phone's audio was presented solely through the front left speaker, requiring some concentration to hear the speech properly.

Perhaps it wouldn’t be so bad if the driver’s side speaker was used, but this is not the case. Seems like I was listening from afar.

On other fronts, whilst I still like the car, I had been reading praise for the experience described by some as ‘silent’ motoring.
My Phev is far from silent, unless freewheeling or stopped in traffic or at junctions etc., but the Merc is also silent when stationary thanks to the start/stop Eco function.
On the move the Phev whines like a commuter train (although not unpleasantly) as it increases speed, and grinds like worn out bearings when regeneratively braking. The ICE, when it cuts in, does seem to be revving more than would be normal in an ordinary petrol car and is very noticeable to me, despite an acquaintance predicting that I wouldn’t be able to tell (based on his own experience).
Beeping and bonging seem to annoy a number of other members here, yet I have yet to notice any such beeping (or bonging) other than the tailgate, which I do not consider to be loud or annoying.

The MMCS does take a while after startup to display anything useful, but once booted up, I find it more than adequately responsive. I agree with others that it is not the most intuitive system to negotiate, but that’s just a matter of getting used to it.

Overall I am enjoying the drive, and am being careful not to compare apples with oranges.

Stvtech said:
Day two, and came across the first thing that I find comparatively woeful on the Phev - the Bluetooth hands free.

SHMBO phoned me during my commute this morning , and it was only on the third attempt that I managed to maintain the call without it cutting off (nothing to do with signal strength). I was disappointed to discover that the phone's audio was presented solely through the front left speaker, requiring some concentration to hear the speech properly.

Perhaps it wouldn’t be so bad if the driver’s side speaker was used, but this is not the case. Seems like I was listening from afar.

On other fronts, whilst I still like the car, I had been reading praise for the experience described by some as ‘silent’ motoring.
My Phev is far from silent, unless freewheeling or stopped in traffic or at junctions etc., but the Merc is also silent when stationary thanks to the start/stop Eco function.
On the move the Phev whines like a commuter train (although not unpleasantly) as it increases speed, and grinds like worn out bearings when regeneratively braking. The ICE, when it cuts in, does seem to be revving more than would be normal in an ordinary petrol car and is very noticeable to me, despite an acquaintance predicting that I wouldn’t be able to tell (based on his own experience).
Beeping and bonging seem to annoy a number of other members here, yet I have yet to notice any such beeping (or bonging) other than the tailgate, which I do not consider to be loud or annoying.

The MMCS does take a while after startup to display anything useful, but once booted up, I find it more than adequately responsive. I agree with others that it is not the most intuitive system to negotiate, but that’s just a matter of getting used to it.

Overall I am enjoying the drive, and am being careful not to compare apples with oranges.

SHMBO :?: but surely you should be using the old mechanics trick - turn the radio up, "what noise sir?" :lol:

Stvtech said:
On the move the Phev whines like a commuter train (although not unpleasantly) as it increases speed, and grinds like worn out bearings when regeneratively braking.

That doesn't sound right. I don't notice any appreciable noise on regen, just a quiet "reverse whine", like acceleration whine, but less. Definitely NOT like worn out bearings. I'd get that checked out, if I were me.

Regulo said:
That doesn't sound right. I don't notice any appreciable noise on regen, just a quiet "reverse whine", like acceleration whine, but less. Definitely NOT like worn out bearings. I'd get that checked out, if I were me.

Perhaps I'm over-dramatising the noise the regen makes, but sitting here away from the vehicle that's how it plays back in my head. It seems to be worse if the wheels are steering, so it might yet be just tyre noise (the Merc makes a similar noise when making slow turns whilst braking, but only on winter tyres it seems). Hard to quantify how tyre noise sounds like grinding, but that's how my brain best describes it, and to my ears it isn't simply a "reverse whine".
I'll have to compare mine to the Phev of an acquaintance before bugging the local dealer, in case it's just me!

@greendwarf...
Yeah, perhaps listening from afar is what the car thinks I should be doing :)

But today, third morning of ownership, I don't think I like this car anymore.

I'm beginning to love it.

Half way to the office, I found myself grinning from ear to ear. Not had a car make that happen to me since my early 20's.
It's like the loveable rogue - so far removed from the steadfast solidity of the Merc, yet pleasantly refreshing, and rewarding to drive. Yes, there's rattling from the boot area and whining from the motors, it bounces over potholes and grinds in the turns, but so what? - I'm too busy flapping the paddles to really notice any of that.

I have returned to driving a car, rather than just sitting back and steering, and getting fustrated at the traffic (although the car will let me do that should I so choose).

This morning I'd had a 15 minute pre-heat to 20º cabin temperature and for the first time ever since having the car, the EV guessometer show 32 miles range. Not once did the ICE kick in during my 8.2 mile journey (despite a very steep uphill segment), and upon arrival at our prmises I was showing 20 miles EV range remaining, although this had dropped to 19 by the time I had traversed the up-ramps into our multi-story car park. Should be more than enough to get me home despite an 2 mile longer journey (because of my traffic avoidance routing).

I'm quite looking forward to the journey home, although for very different reasons than is usual...

Stvtech said:
@greendwarf...
Yeah, perhaps listening from afar is what the car thinks I should be doing :)

But today, third morning of ownership, I don't think I like this car anymore.

I'm beginning to love it.

Half way to the office, I found myself grinning from ear to ear. Not had a car make that happen to me since my early 20's.
It's like the loveable rogue - so far removed from the steadfast solidity of the Merc, yet pleasantly refreshing, and rewarding to drive. Yes, there's rattling from the boot area and whining from the motors, it bounces over potholes and grinds in the turns, but so what? - I'm too busy flapping the paddles to really notice any of that.

I have returned to driving a car, rather than just sitting back and steering, and getting fustrated at the traffic (although the car will let me do that should I so choose).

This morning I'd had a 15 minute pre-heat to 20º cabin temperature and for the first time ever since having the car, the EV guessometer show 32 miles range. Not once did the ICE kick in during my 8.2 mile journey (despite a very steep uphill segment), and upon arrival at our prmises I was showing 20 miles EV range remaining, although this had dropped to 19 by the time I had traversed the up-ramps into our multi-story car park. Should be more than enough to get me home despite an 2 mile longer journey (because of my traffic avoidance routing).

I'm quite looking forward to the journey home, although for very different reasons than is usual...

I posted a thread about the rattling boot having found (and cured) the cause, you might want to try my or one of the others posters suggestions - or talk to the dealer.

See here:
http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1123

@Bob...
Yes, I recall your post, but haven't got round to looking yet, but I do have a 'noise' which seems to fit your identified cause, thanks.

Onwards...

The E-Class gets picked up on Friday, but I still have half a tank of diesel in it. Today, I have to make a site visit during the day, so decided to come into the office in the Merc and use up some of that heavy oil.

Ooooh, how 'orrible it felt!. Words that come to mind to describe the feeling are drag, heavy, lumbering...
It was almost as if the whole thing was filled with treacle.

Pressing the throttle was like pushing down on a sea sponge, the engine seemed to be churning like an adult human that didn't want to get out of bed in the morning, and the steering was just,well, stiff! And brakes, what brakes? (They are there of course, just need to press a little harder :) )
I have previous said the the Phev 'floats like a butterfly', so the Merc this morning felt like a lazy old crow.

There was ice on the windscreen, so out came the warm water in the faithful milk carton that had been employed throughout the winter. On went my big winter coat and thermal hat, and heated seat was activated .This was by contrast to the lovely and toastie Phev which I had manually pre-heated in readiness to move it out of the way to let the hump-back out.

However, horses for courses. By half way into my commute, mind and body had once again adapted and moulded to match the Merc's persona. Gone had the feeling of lumbering whale, and I began to appreciate the comfort and ride that in the past two years I had come to take for granted. The bumpy roads were dulled and dampened, the raw power making it's presence known without actually having to use it. But then there was still the clatter of the diesel, and the low-end vibration at idle because the car wasn't warm enough for ECO stop/start yet. And just before I exited after arriving at the office, I paused to admire the materials, the fit, the finish, and the generally pleasing trim and controls.

I shall miss it.

But have I made the right choice in moving to the Phev ? Oh hell yes!, and on so many levels. Looking forward to getting back into the lovable rogue, but at the same time, enjoying a last few journeys in the ol' girl!

Now had the car for over 3 weeks, and so far no regrets.

Two days ago, took the Phev for it’s first long-distance run down the M5 from Birmingham to Dawlish on the South coast.
Must say, the motorway cruise sat at 70mph was far more effortless than I was expecting. From acceleration from slip road to join the main carriageway, to the occasional burst of speed to change lanes for overtaking, I wasn’t left feeling disappointed.

Did the whole return trip (329 miles) on a single tank of fuel, although I had to grit my teeth and hope the range indicators were not being overly optimistic.
The return journey saw the refuel lamp lit at about 53 miles remaining, then again sometime after that (the fast-flash), after which it refused to display anything other than the refuel symbol on the dash display. Dropping my speed from 70 to 65 (after the first warning) seemed to increase available range slightly and before it stopped displaying range completely, I had about 20 fuel miles range over and above the remaining distance I had to travel with 12 miles electric range in addition to that.

Filled up within a mile of home and put in 38.83 litres. Hadn’t put in any fuel since my first ever fill-up a couple of weeks ago and the gauge was still indicating full, so didn’t visit the petrol station prior to departure.
Average consumption (including EV drive for non-motorway) was 38.5 mpg (car was indicating 38.9, so accounting for the two weeks since first fill-up, about right).

I drove in save mode at B0 all the way down until coming off the motorway, then hit charge mode on the way back (once back on the M5) until the SOC was around 50%, then returned to save mode.

Stopped at two Services en-route southbound, Michael Wood where one grey Outlander was charging, and again at Sedgemoor where both Rapid Chargers were available. Unfortunately, I had over 80% charge still, so couldn’t try out my so far unused Ecotricity card!

In conclusion, a big thumbs up. No regrets, and looking forward to my new tax code arriving in the post!

Stvtech said:
I drove in save mode at B0 all the way down until coming off the motorway, then hit charge mode on the way back (once back on the M5) until the SOC was around 50%, then returned to save mode.

You don't say if you had any charge remaining when you started the return journey but presumably if you hadn't used Charge you would have had a slightly better consumption and got back without filling up?

BTW if you don't use much fuel day-to-day why re-fill more than say half a tank? - more weight etc. Actually - I've only just thought of this myself :oops:

There was about one eighth charge left showing on the in-dash battery bargraph before I got to the motorway for the return.
I would have certainly got back without filling up (still had that 12 miles electric anyway), and only did so as I had to pass by the filling station anyway so it made sense.
I did not intend to suggest I had to fill up or wouldn't make it, and only mentioned it being within a mile of home as that was close enough for the 38 litres or so to be representative of the fuel used for my entire journey.

Today I had to make an unplanned trip from Birmingham to Woking, and tried switching between charge and save modes to see if it had any bearing on how fast the average mpg fell after hitting the M40 and coming off EV. It kept on falling at pretty much the same rate as far as I can tell, regardless of whether I was charging or saving.
I only started the trip with about 25% charge, charged to about 80% on the way down, then saved until I came off the M40.
Overall return journey (sat at indicated 72mph) average 37.9mpg and a quarter tank of fuel remaining. A lot of 'creeping' and stopping on the M25, made all the more bearable in the Phev (would have hated it in the Merc!)

Still a happy bunny :)

And as for carrying only half a tank of fuel? I think saving 20 litres of weight isn't enough for me to worry about. The fact I save over £120 a month in tax, and can do the return commute to the office for a mere 79p in electric, is justification enough for me!

Back