Have we bought a lemon?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a bit of a long shot but as your car is not new you might check to see if previous owner has set any timers for heaters and charging. :?:

That said, it does sound like some of your problems require service department attention.

I have had some issues with car not engaging in fwd or reverse - interestingly they have occurred three times in the same parking spot (in Canberra), so I suspect there may be electronic interference that can affect engaging gears.

As others have commented it takes around a minute for MMCS to fully start up and display grid lines in reversing camera. Although other cars I notice do this as well, just don't take as long - wife's Honda takes around 20 seconds for central display to start up.

Hope you have luck sorting out problems.

TRT

After an overnight charge my car will read about 22 miles for EV, however, whether the heater fan is on or not, if I switch it on then switch it off again it reads 33 miles!!!!

AndyInOz said:
The failure of the catalytic converter is very weird, however, given the low mileage, could have been an original manufacturing fault. Let's hope it's not because some clown put leaded petrol in the tank.

Andy

Should be impossible in UK because AFAIK leaded petrol was banned many years ago. :mrgreen:

I wondered about the cat and exhaust on these petrol hybrids.

I wondered if a PHEV that is only being driven around locally on EV won't have the engine fired up for enough time to properly heat up the exhaust and cat to drive out any moisture.

A fuel car with low mileage is at risk of this, whilst conversely it's unlikely the brakes will ever wear out. Vice versa on a high mileage fuel driven car.

Ollycat said:
I wondered about the cat and exhaust on these petrol hybrids.

I wondered if a PHEV that is only being driven around locally on EV won't have the engine fired up for enough time to properly heat up the exhaust and cat to drive out any moisture.

A fuel car with low mileage is at risk of this, whilst conversely it's unlikely the brakes will ever wear out. Vice versa on a high mileage fuel driven car.

Actually the brakes on a hybrid can be a bit of a liability as the car gets older - they are used so little that the disks tend to rust and contaminate the pads. We got through more disks and pads on our Prius than we did on the Landcruiser.

Regarding the duff catalystic converter I just noticed something in the Australian Technical Training manual that suggests that if the car tries to start the engine and there is insufficient fuel "this leads to a lot of oxygen in the catalyst which can damage the catalyst".

maby said:
Actually the brakes on a hybrid can be a bit of a liability as the car gets older - they are used so little that the disks tend to rust and contaminate the pads. We got through more disks and pads on our Prius than we did on the Landcruiser.

I don't get it. Visible rust can form on brake discs in under 24 hours in the right conditions. I've had surface rust form on my Mazda 6 MPS brakes (genuine Brembo) every night while I was staying in a beach holiday home. Why isn't this an issue in standard cars?

Are you sure that you didn't just have quality/environmental issues, and just guessed that they were because it was a hybrid? Can you link to any sites that support what you say? If rust on hybrid brakes were an issue, there would almost certainly be recall or at least a TSB, even if it only occurs after the warranty runs out. I've not seen anything like that.

****Update****

Took the car into the dealer on Monday morning and was given the sales manager's car which is exactly the same as mine to use while they investigated the faults.

The sales manager car is completing my daily school run all on the electric miles - and I even have some spare by the time I get to work! It's a lot more responsive than mine too. I've not experienced any of the other issues I was having with mine.

After a phone call to the dealer to inform them they stated that mine had not shown any fault codes when plugged into the diagnostics but had failed to go into gear on start up. They noted the 'ready' light was not showing on the dash when it did this. Therefore they have told Mistubishi the car will be returned to them as they believe there is a computer software issue with it and they are arranging a replacement for me.

Can't fault the dealer at all and after driving the sales manager's car for nearly a week I'm looking forward to getting a car that does what it says on the tin!!

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Thanks for the update and enjoy your car when you get it.

And credit to your dealer for playing hardball with Mitsubishi, you don't see that very often.

Back