I Thought Home Charging Points were Free!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronnob

Good afternoon,

I thought I would arrange the install of the home charger prior to 31st March and get it "free" even though car is not being delivered until about 14th April.

I was aware that government funding may not continue after 31 March but was surprised to find that because my dealer recommended installer could not book me in until 10th April I would have to pay despite getting the order in early.

Upon checking with my PHEV dealer I was told this is quite correct and they have had many complaints from customers awaiting delivery but it is a Government decision and out of their hands.

It is not a bank breaking amount (£250 for a Rolec tethered) but an expense I was not expecting. As it is a company vehicle, I will put the cost on my P11d as a Capital Contribution towards the cost of the car or accessories.

I have not seen it publicised or mentioned anywhere about this earlier than expected withdrawal of funding.

Just thought this might be of interest to other soon to be PHEV drivers.

Ron

The current Government scheme covers installations performed before the 12th April .
Installers then have until the end of May to process it.

Some companies are quoting end of March :evil: which in indeed wrong!

The real issue is finding a company who can fit in your install before 12th April !!
Most are fully booked until then.

Ring round a few..I did ..and am still hoping to get mine done ;)

All the detail you need is on the Gov web site:
https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/plug-in-vehicle-chargepoint-grants#documents

Thanks Ian,

I do not really mind paying £250 because I will have it "forever" but my Mitsubishi dealer did not tell me that:-

The fuseboard must be fairly new (mine is 25 yrs old and only a 6 way) - I found this out when I contacted the Rolec Installer

The electrician who will supply the new fuseboard can not start work until an isolation switch is installed by my electricity provider, NPower

NPower cannot install switch until 10 April!

My fault I suppose for not sorting it all out earlier but of course at the dealership it would all be straightforward and plain sailing.

Best of luck with yours!

Ron

I also used ev charging solutions 3 weeks ago, did a great job and I only paid for the upgrade

greendwarf said:
ronnob said:
Good

It is not a bank breaking amount (£250 for a Rolec tethered)
Ron

That sounds cheap, as the full cost is around £1k :eek:

My Rolec 32A tethered was charged at £1,394 according to the paperwork I had to sign. I was not required to pay a single penny toward it though. The installers just bump the price in order to claim the maximum grant funding (which is 75% of cost, capped at £900 post September 2014 - was £1000 prior to then).

We bought a charging point for my place of work direct from Rolec for 330+vat (type 2 socket, 32A) and paid £300 for our local NICEIC guy to fit it.

simonrh said:
We bought a charging point for my place of work direct from Rolec for 330+vat (type 2 socket, 32A) and paid £300 for our local NICEIC guy to fit it.

Yes same here paid £612+vat for one at work 32A Rolec, it seems installers make the most of the deal seeing they have to wait months for payment by OLEV

I do not collect my GX4hs till July 10th, but got a charge point installed for free through evchargingcentre.com. I believe they still have government grant stock left, worth a look

Pearl White... mmm :)

Mine is getting installed on July 26th by Chargemaster. My home electrics are old and because the circuit board is full they need to install a 2-Way Consumer Unit at £50 and British Gas installed an isolation switch for free, which should have been £40.
Went for the 16amp Type 1 Tethered as the PHEV doesnt charge above that anyway.... so everything should be ready for when the cars delivered on August 10th. :D

Hi I am in southwest Scotland and Just had a 32amp tethered unit fitted by Jorro I had to have the main circuit board in the house replaced altogether it would have cost over £1500 but I claimed a grant from the energysavingstrust.org.uk who paid all costs over the olev grant , so have just had it installed free and from application to installation it took only 2 weeks the company jorro.co.uk were fantastic and guided me from start to finish with great advise and help with claiming the additional grant at every step and the engineer they sent was fantastic he explained what he was doing at every step and also left no mess at all after installation absolutely great company.

Note I have no connection with this company I just think praise should be given if due

tartancabby said:
Hi I am in southwest Scotland and Just had a 32amp tethered unit fitted by Jorro I had to have the main circuit board in the house replaced altogether it would have cost over £1500 but I claimed a grant from the energysavingstrust.org.uk who paid all costs over the olev grant , so have just had it installed free and from application to installation it took only 2 weeks the company jorro.co.uk were fantastic and guided me from start to finish with great advise and help with claiming the additional grant at every step and the engineer they sent was fantastic he explained what he was doing at every step and also left no mess at all after installation absolutely great company.

Note I have no connection with this company I just think praise should be given if due

I too had an installation done via Jorro. We have a Victorian terraced house (in Edinburgh) with the consumer unit in the vestibule at the front of the house, but the drive is at the back, at the end of the garden accessed via a side street, so not a straighforward installation. Jorro arranged a pre-install site inspection before I even bought the car to see if/how it could be done. The only way they could do it was to install a 16amp unit, which would ordinarily not qualify for the EST grant, but they prepared all the paperwork making an exceptional circumstance application for me and sorted it all out. They arranged the OLEV grant, passed me onto EST for the top up and arranged the full installation. The whole thing would have cost £2300! As you say, great service and a great company!

I would also recommend Jorro, I've yet to have them install a unit for me as I'm waiting to order my new Outlander but the help and advice they have given me so far has been amazing.

My install is highly complex, involving digging under a public footpath and requiring planing permission as a result. Jorro were the only firm out of all the suppliers listed on the EST to actually reply and engage with me to work out a plan on how to take this forward. Fortunately I'm also in Scotland so I will be able to apply to the EST for the costs above what OLEV will now pay which I expect won't be cheap.

Back