Looking for a suspension raise test car in Rockhampton, Queensland.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonsterPHEVs

Hiya first post coming up...

I bought a 2019 ZL PHEV in March this year. I have since been busy adjusting it to my lifestyle. As such it has a 1.8m roof rack, towbar and 30" Toyo ATs.

Now all I need to fix is the Taylor Swifting (thank you Southpark). Looking to raise it around 30mm from stock.

I removed and measured the springs to share the data with Dobinsons hoping they would knock up a set but they want to see a sample of the originals for themselves. Sadly I am in Melbourne and they are in Rockhampton.

So now.... Are there any owners of ZL PHEVs able to pop a spring out of each end and take it to Dobinsons? If so I'm happy to share the cost of the exercise. .. please let me know.

On the other hand if anybody has an alternative for raising the thing a little I'm all ears. I have ordered some polyurethane spring spacer thingies (the ones that jam between the coils) as an interim but don't hold hope in this for the longer term. Not much interested in strut/coilover spacer kits as my rear is already close to rock bottom with the modest load (fridge, battery, tools etc).

Looking forward to hearing from fellow PHEV abusers.
G.

Attachments

• PSX_20220628_211045.jpg
    PSX_20220628_211045.jpg
    668.3 KB · Views: 145
Mike I want your shocks!! In all seriousness I would prefer to switch over to the Bilsteins and get springs made to lift it around them. Cannot find them online anywhere but am likely to drop into the mitsu dealer at some stage to check price etc

Spring spacers arrived from China yesterday will stuff them in on the weekend.

The wheels are from BSA. I had to go to 17" to fit the tyres I wanted. A bit heavy but not noticeable at the power point.

G.

Well polyurethane spacers are installed. Had to pop the springs off as there was no way they were going in in situ.

Result is about a 20mm increase in ride height and a very noticeable improvement in ride quality. Previously it was rebounding like a rolling bowl of trifle over moderate speed bumps. Now much more composed. My guess is it was hitting the bumps stops, as I'm carrying a fridge, battery and some tools in the boot.

The take away is I will pursue a slightly stiffer spring with a longer loaded static length. Somehow.

Attachments

• PSX_20220709_202142.jpg
    PSX_20220709_202142.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 89
  • PSX_20220709_202117.jpg
    PSX_20220709_202117.jpg
    593.2 KB · Views: 89
  • PSX_20220709_202057.jpg
    PSX_20220709_202057.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 89
Tsk,Tsk! - no axle stand and car just supported by trolley jack. :eek:

Lucky you are in "lawless" Oz - in the UK the Health & Safety police would be on to you in a shot! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

littlescrote said:
Why are you carrying a battery - don't you have a big enough one on-board? :D

Haha yeah I struggled with the options and the logic. I just don't know enough about the electrics to risk stuffing around with it so have gone with a standard voltage sensing dcdc charger connected between the car's 12V battery and a lithium 50ah battery for the fridge.

Btw the setup works well. Charger kicks in when the car is "on" and when connected to an external charger. A nice quiet benefit is that the LiFe fridge battery performs heaps better than lead acid types I have used in the past. Can't seem to flatten it.

Back