Maximum 240 volt charging rate/amps for 2019 POHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridfenfun

Just bought a 2019 GT model, and after a couple of weeks havbe decided to et 220/240 volt supply wired into my garage. Have plugged into one 6.6 KW Chargepoint socket at Ikea, but the car seemed to only charge at about 2.8-2.9 KW rate. I assume this is due to onboard charge rate limitations???
Can someone advise what the maximum amp rate is for charging. Want to make sure I get a big enough amp rated circuit and it appears there are several commercially available, with ratings of 16, 32 and maybe eve more. I'd equate this to about 3.5 or 7.0 KW. but based on what the Chargepoint charger showed at Ikea (6.6 KW rated) I was only getting about 2.8 which I think is only about 2X the rate of the level 1 charger at 12 amp setting. I'd like something a bit quicker so want to make sure I get enough amp rating in the line.

For level 2 EVSE, the max that our PHEV can fully utilize is the 16A one. Just install a circuit with NEMA 6-20R and done. I am pulling 3.3 kW, in average, measuring before the EVSE (234V x 14A). Since the level 2 is more efficient, it takes about 1/3 of time comparing to the OEM EVSE.

I am not sure the voltage of IKEA charge point. Maybe 208V? And the display of 2.9kW probably excludes the lost.

For the future proof purpose (Tesla :) ) I would recommend a 50A circuit.

Tai

In North America, residences are almost always on 240V split phase feeds. However commercial sites are typically three-phase, where one leg is 208V. So IKEA is most likely running their charging station at 208V. (15 amps * 208 volts = 3.1 kW)

Thanks, both are useful answers to my question. Great comment as well re running a higher (IE 50 AMP) for future possible needs, as I'd expect I'll only want to do this once.

Ridfenfun said:
Just bought a 2019 GT model, and after a couple of weeks havbe decided to et 220/240 volt supply wired into my garage. Have plugged into one 6.6 KW Chargepoint socket at Ikea, but the car seemed to only charge at about 2.8-2.9 KW rate. I assume this is due to onboard charge rate limitations???
Can someone advise what the maximum amp rate is for charging. Want to make sure I get a big enough amp rated circuit and it appears there are several commercially available, with ratings of 16, 32 and maybe eve more. I'd equate this to about 3.5 or 7.0 KW. but based on what the Chargepoint charger showed at Ikea (6.6 KW rated) I was only getting about 2.8 which I think is only about 2X the rate of the level 1 charger at 12 amp setting. I'd like something a bit quicker so want to make sure I get enough amp rating in the line.

Well the maximum amp rate for external charging is around 60A @ 330V (via the CHAdeMO port). For internal charging, I've seen charge rates spike to over 45 kW when doing hard braking. Via J1772, it's 16A, due to OBC limitations. Wattage will vary depending on voltage. I often see only around 200-210V at commercial buildings vs. around 240V at private homes.

I’m pretty sure the Chademo charger can deliver 90A at 330v, 30kW. I can take a look next time I’m using one, this was on a 50kW charger.

It takes me about 20 minutes to get around 6kWh from a Chademo charger, which works out at around 18kW. But that's DC.

The type 1 lead is basically an extension lead from the house wiring into the car, simply passing through the mains voltage. The car then has to convert that to DC to charge the battery. Technically it's not a charger, more of a socket, but everyone calls it a charger :mrgreen:

Back