My First Phev now 3 months in .......

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooksdown

Actually so far so good we have all been very pleased with the 3h (with leather) and thought it would be useful to share some initial thoughts and insight. Living with it is very simple as is the driving. It’s far from a conventional car, and that is a good thing too.
Charging is easy we initially used the 13A charger with an extension while waiting for the 16A wall mounted home unit to be installed. The benefit of the home unit is that no buttons need to be pressed just stick the connector into the car, and take it out when needed. It doesn’t matter if the car is part charged or full. Also it seems as the connector is removed, power is automatically shut off by the wall unit so the connector isn’t live when disconnected from the car.
No doubt its best and most efficient journeys are sub 50mile (which most of ours are) with home charging this is firmly in the 100mpg + territory. However the further you drive with the batteries depleted it will eventually manage around 50mpg - still not bad for a heavy 4x4. At this end of the endurance envelope just think of it as a comfortable 4x4 with lots of tax breaks.
The power mode switches ‘charge’, ‘save’ and ‘eco’ generally do what they say, however at the heart of the PHEV is a computer program which will override all these modes as it so wishes. So for example floor the accelerator at a junction and the engine will come on in ‘eco’ mode. Equally if you are in ‘save’ mode and floor the accelerator the battery will be used. I have also found it is useful to save a few miles in the drive battery as this means you will always have the combined power ( 200hp ish) of the engine and motors available if needed.
If you turn on the heated windows and or the wiper de icer the engine will start and run in series mode to save the battery. A bit confusing at first but both of these both draw large currents, so turning them off when not needed makes sense. Also setting the cabin temperature higher on the 3h may start the engine in eco mode, ( the 4h has an electric heater but as I understand using it also reduces EV range) I have found turning off the climate control system altogether makes it much easier to run in pure EV mode in ECO. All things being equal and for everyday use I’ll just leave the climate controls to do its thing but useful to know.
Regenerative braking is neat and I use it a lot. However it doesn’t work if the battery is fully charged. Of course this makes sense, no space for more electrons. However I live on a hill and until I understood this characteristic I had a few unexpectedly quick descents with B5 shown as selected. So add to the confusion the energy flow display also indicates the wheels are in regen mode and charging the drive battery, when actually they aren’t . If any Mitsubishi software engineers are reading this in Japan please modify the status display, arigatou gozaimasu.
The fastest way to deplete the drive battery is driving up a hill and worse still accelerating up a hill. As example I have used 3 miles EV range in less than 1 mile on road. Again this makes sense moving a 2 ton car up a hill is always going to use a lot of energy. So it seems to makes sense to put the car in ‘save’ mode on the ascent , and use the engine if you need to preserve EV range.
If you’re planning to have a flat auxiliary battery on a cold and rainy winter’s night, make sure you have read the manual beforehand and know where the jump leads go - it’s far from obvious. Also if you see another motorist with a flat battery give them a cheery wave and drive on by as seems you can’t jump start another car from the phev.
And finally the embarrassment of driving into a busy filling station after 6 weeks of almost exclusively EV driving ( most excellent !) I even remembered which side the fuel goes in – ( it’s the dusty flap on the left hand side ) I then realise I don’t actually know where the fuel filler cap release is. I poke around in the cabin for a while, I finally find the button that dims the dashboard, but no filler release. Finally manual out and scratch around on the left hand side floor of the driver’s seat and still no release. It turns out the picture in the manual is for a LHD car, and in the UK RHD version the release is on the right.
Of course all of the above are just my first impressions and experiences of the GX3h PHEV and I’m quite willing to be corrected if someone knows better. But I have to say so far very good, if you also have a child studying for CE or GCSE physics even better.!

Thanks Rooksdown..

It what's this forum is all about your comments have certainly given me some insight as I pick my car up tomorrow.

Rooksdown said:
If you turn on the heated windows and or the wiper de icer the engine will start and run in series mode to save the battery. A bit confusing at first but both of these both draw large currents, so turning them off when not needed makes sense.
Hi,
A pretty good summary. I'd just like to mention that in the above I think it is starting the engine to provide the heat to help defrost the front window rather than to conserve battery power. Turning on the rear window demister shouldn't start the engine.
Kind regards,
Mark

Thanks for posting this. I picked mine up this afternoon, and I've spent all the time since then reading and poking around with the car. My brain is aching! I hope it'll end up making sense, seems hellishly complicated - and I haven't even taken the MMCS manual out of the wrapper yet!!!!! :eek:

Rooksdown said:
The fastest way to deplete the drive battery is driving up a hill and worse still accelerating up a hill. As example I have used 3 miles EV range in less than 1 mile on road. Again this makes sense moving a 2 ton car up a hill is always going to use a lot of energy. So it seems to makes sense to put the car in ‘save’ mode on the ascent , and use the engine if you need to preserve EV range.
I then realise I don’t actually know where the fuel filler cap release is. I poke around in the cabin for a while, I finally find the button that dims the dashboard, but no filler release. Finally manual out and scratch around on the left hand side floor of the driver’s seat and still no release. It turns out the picture in the manual is for a LHD car, and in the UK RHD version the release is on the right.
Of course all of the above are just my first impressions and experiences of the GX3h PHEV and I’m quite willing to be corrected if someone knows better. But I have to say so far very good, if you also have a child studying for CE or GCSE physics even better.!
I thought I read elsewhere about using Charge for going up hills.

The fuel filler release was one of the easiest for us - same place as on our Toyota (must be a Japanese thing)

Good Post very informative for a newbie like me
my daily commute is only 30 miles so I am 99% EV mode so far so I am hoping to also have a Dusty filler cap just like yourself
I thought I would just add to the good findings mentioned above, I have had my GX4hs now for 1 week so my findings are small at present
I have noticed at the traffic lights if using light breaking pressure the EV motor is still trying to move the car forward wasting energy, a positive pressure switches the ev motor off however after a very long stint at the lights the right leg might start aching at my age so ill be using neutral a bit more. thinking about it the first inch of breaking appears to use the regen motor to slow down at speed (on B5 watch the regen when you lift off of the accelerator at speed and then lightly touch the brakes and your regen increases from half to almost full regen ) so this first inch must be computer controlled somehow as at slow speeds < 10 mph the breaks are applied rather than regen ?.

Gollags said:
... as at slow speeds < 10 mph the breaks are applied rather than regen ?.
Regen is not very good at slowing at low speeds so friction braking must be used.
kind regards,
Mark

Back