Need some help folks - Home charge unit research UK

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MHS said:
steve2001 said:
good point greendwarf there is always the 3 pin plug option it may suit many folks just fine.

The attraction of a dedicated charger professionally installed at no cost is quite tempting for me. I'm from Yorkshire we like a bargain here! The OLEC grant is bound to run out at some point fairly soon I imagine.

Also it would be installed on my outside wall near where I park, so no fumbling with garage doors and plugging/running/stowing the 3 pin cable every day.

Just had British gas install my charging point today. As you said, saves a lot of faffing about with extension leads and garage doors. Also in Yorkshire, so £115 fitted is a bargain. Great bloke fitted it, nothing too much trouble.

P.S. Is C-Crosser some sort of Cockney rhyming slang?

@MHS it's a Citroen C-Crosser! Actually - it's exactly the same car as an Outlander mechanically, but with a Citroen badge on it. Both Peugeot and Citroen briefly tried to get into the then expanding SUV market by joining forces with Mitsu. But they didn't shift many and stopped selling them a few years back. And yes it is a bit of a daft name for a car - might be why they didn't sell many? I'm about to sell it when my PHEV arrives.

I better change my signature as well to avoid offending any Cockneys ;)

greendwarf said:
I understand different users will have different requirements and I am lucky to have a 3 sided double car port with my meter cupboard in it where there is a socket for the vacuum cleaning system and the door has a gap at the bottom for ventilation where I can run the cable. However, if you don't have such a facility already, wouldn't the installation of a standard exterior socket give you greater flexibility (and future proofing) at a relatively moderate cost (<£200?) - certainly nothing like the £1k being charged to the taxpayer for the dedicated EV ones?

If the EV socket came with a 3 pin, as well, then I could see the advantage. Just to raise an Orwellian warning - might the Gov't be able in future to charge extra for the energy used for the EV because they can see your usage via the mandatory datalink :eek:

Hi M8

You are right in one sense....If the EV unit came with a 3 pin socket as well......Well surprise surprise .....IT IS AN OPTION with the ROLEC charging station......they say to assist you in the garden. LOL

Graham

greendwarf said:
I understand different users will have different requirements and I am lucky to have a 3 sided double car port with my meter cupboard in it where there is a socket for the vacuum cleaning system and the door has a gap at the bottom for ventilation where I can run the cable. However, if you don't have such a facility already, wouldn't the installation of a standard exterior socket give you greater flexibility (and future proofing) at a relatively moderate cost (<£200?) - certainly nothing like the £1k being charged to the taxpayer for the dedicated EV ones?

If the EV socket came with a 3 pin, as well, then I could see the advantage. Just to raise an Orwellian warning - might the Gov't be able in future to charge extra for the energy used for the EV because they can see your usage via the mandatory datalink :eek:

I'm sure someone in HMRC has been thinking about this - if EV ever did really take off, the loss of tax revenue would be terrifying for them!

rgilyead said:
Ozukus said:
If you haven't signed anything or paid anything then you can always call ChargeMaster and get them to do the install. I like most on this forum who have used them found their service timely and extremely good, plus 16Amp unit free of charge, you can't complain.
This is their last chance. Three strikes and you're out.
Installed at last! Almost 11 weeks from request to completion.

maby said:
greendwarf said:

I'm sure someone in HMRC has been thinking about this - if EV ever did really take off, the loss of tax revenue would be terrifying for them!
Indeed, I've said exactly this before. They will have to recover the lost revenue somehow and it would be political suicide to increase the tax on all electricity use just to catch the EV driver. Not sure how yet but I'm sure there will be some kind of differential taxation system somehow.

maddogsetc said:
maby said:
greendwarf said:

Indeed, I've said exactly this before. They will have to recover the lost revenue somehow and it would be political suicide to increase the tax on all electricity use just to catch the EV driver. Not sure how yet but I'm sure there will be some kind of differential taxation system somehow.

They would, of course, have to ban the supply of charging cables with 13A plugs on the end.

maddogsetc said:
maby said:
greendwarf said:

Actually, since most of the price of a gallon of petrol is tax of one kind or another, any attempt at maintaining the tax revenue would effectively kill electric propulsion by removing its primary attraction.

Back