Noxious smoke from under hood 2018 Outlander Phev

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Guy

After a short trip we arrived home and a noxious electrical smell with a copious amount of grey smoke streamed out of the hood on the driver side. Turned off immediately, opened the hood but could not find the source. Had vehicle towed on dollies to Mitsubishi. Claimed all was well no fault codes and blamed it on a small after market camera fused connection. All those wires are unburnt and are like 35 gauge insulated wire; they could at most generate a minuscule puff of smoke. Any ideas?

Any chance of over filled oil or coolant?

I think that either of those things would generate a lot of smoke if they hit a hot exhaust manifold.

Perhaps look around the exhaust side of the engine for anything that looks like staining?

Once had an under-hood "fire" caused by the oily kleenex I'd checked the oil level that had migrated to the hot exhaust manifold.

I have vague memories of smoke issues being caused by car detailers spraying varnish onto the exit manifold too.
Solved: The after market camera had a chip where the video and power were connected. The chip overheated and burnt the rubber coating which caused the smoke and smell. Wouldn’t have believed such a small chip could blow up so dramatically without blowing the fuse. Thanks for all your rrplied

Back