Towbar distorting the rear bumper

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rymrks

Had the towbar fitted by Mitsubishi at Portbury before being delivered to the dealer. When I got the car home I removed the detachable towball and tried to insert the plastic blanking plug into the recess but it fouled the lower rear bumper. I also noticed the towbar is hard up against the bumper and has distorted the bumper to a noticeable amount. I took the car into the dealer today to have this problem rectified only to be told that there is nothing they can do to fix the problem. Apparently in the instructions for the towbar it states that some deformation of the rear bumper will take place. The dealer has suggested trying to cut down the blanking plug, but this then will not be so secure and could fall out, or to cut a piece out of the rear bumper. Incredible that on a modern car they could get this so wrong. Has anyone else noticed the same issue or are aware of any fixes for this problem?

Short answer, no but then gain, I didn't look too closely as my blanking plate fitted in easily. I'll have a closer look now though.

rymrks said:
Had the towbar fitted by Mitsubishi at Portbury before being delivered to the dealer. When I got the car home I removed the detachable towball and tried to insert the plastic blanking plug into the recess but it fouled the lower rear bumper. I also noticed the towbar is hard up against the bumper and has distorted the bumper to a noticeable amount. I took the car into the dealer today to have this problem rectified only to be told that there is nothing they can do to fix the problem. Apparently in the instructions for the towbar it states that some deformation of the rear bumper will take place. The dealer has suggested trying to cut down the blanking plug, but this then will not be so secure and could fall out, or to cut a piece out of the rear bumper. Incredible that on a modern car they could get this so wrong. Has anyone else noticed the same issue or are aware of any fixes for this problem?

Hi Rymrks,
Your dealer is talking tosh :evil: and only giving you half of what it says in the instructions :twisted:
Assuming they have fitted the Witter towbar that is the one approved for the PHEV.... the following is a direct quote from the fitting instructions:
'The design of this towbar allows the bumper to be fitted with no cut, however the bottom edge of the
bumper will be moved backwards 10mm and will change the profile slightly. To eliminate this a small 15mm deep cut
may be used. (use the protruding part of towbar as guide for cut)'

Simples ;)

You can download the instructions from here : https://www.pfjones.co.uk/mitsubishi-outlander-sep-2012-on-detachable-tow-bar.html

Thanks for the replies.

Ian you are spot on there, it is exactly as described in the instructions having now seen them. So I best leave it alone or maybe have a go at cutting away the bumper to miss the towbar.

Roy

My Witter removable flange bar does push the bumper out by about 5mm and needs a diddy bumper cut adding to it. Haven't done it yet.

When I fitted mine I couldn't deal with the deformation so I cut the bumper, guy down the road had the same towbar fitted at Mitsubishi and his bumper is quite bowed, I wouldn't want that and I am happy with the cut out

Factory fitted towbar in AUS "HaymanReese" require a hole to be cut in the rear bumper. Won't be taking mine OFF soon. Did not come with any hole cover to use when ball is removed. Ball is very close to the plastic bumper, so I have clear poly tape on the bumper to stop any contact from the tow hitch scraping the paint. Supplied tow ball has very thin chrome plating. Mine has worn down to steel in a few hundred km of towing. Will need to get a chrome cover to keep all in tune with the rest of the car.

checked my Witter detachable today - there is a very slight pushing out of the bumper - you would hardly notice it. I would rather that than have a cut in it I think... I would take a photo but don't think you would be able to see it as is very slight.
H

Back