Watchdog App necessary?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS2115

I see a lot on forums and YouTube where owners use the WatchDog App - particularly when they wish to argue with the dealer.
So what does the Watchdog App do over and above the info available from the included Mitsubishi PHEV information screens in the vehicle (mine a 2020 ZL PHEV - 2.4l/13.8kW battery).

And also - in the past on other cars, I have often had conflicts between more than 1 BT connection to the phone or to the cars inbuilt screen. I used to use Torque in my BMW installed on the cars inbuilt screen and it hated sharing the BT between my android phone and the OBD2 BT dongle and usually the phone would get thrown off but occasionally Torque would disconnect as well and take minutes to reconnect.
Admittedly, this was all around Android 10 - 12.

Have owners experienced stable multiple BT connections in the Outlander? I've only had mine since January and so still learning.

kpetrov said:
https://phevwatchdog.net/
You can see what the app can do on their site.

Not very helpful thank you.
I can look up what it will do, but what I asked was what can it do or provide over and above what information is available in the PHEV's own information screens and why should I install WatchDog.

Then I also asked about the Bluetooth conflicts with Android auto and a OBD2 dongle. More than one bluetooth device in the one car has always been problematic for me in the past, so I was hoping some experienced drivers could comment and/or perhaps offer some workarounds.

SS2115 said:
kpetrov said:
https://phevwatchdog.net/
You can see what the app can do on their site.

Not very helpful thank you.
I can look up what it will do, but what I asked was what can it do or provide over and above what information is available in the PHEV's own information screens and why should I install WatchDog.

Then I also asked about the Bluetooth conflicts with Android auto and a OBD2 dongle. More than one bluetooth device in the one car has always been problematic for me in the past, so I was hoping some experienced drivers could comment and/or perhaps offer some workarounds.
Well you can see for yourself the information available on your vehicle screen then what the phevwatchdog can do on their site.
Almost everything phevwatchdog can do is over and above what information is available in the PHEV's own information screens.
The most useful is battery report, SOH, individual cell voltage etc.

I believe there is a Bluetooth conflict but I don't use the phevwatchdog continuously while driving so I don't care so much and can't elaborate.

Okay - thanks for that.
I don't pretend to know or have learnt everything on the Cars own info screen and my thoughts were whether i expend the energy understanding it or going straight to WatchDog and learning it.
And then also I suppose, if I need to learn and know the extra depth level of WatchDog over the cars own info screen. Do I trust my dealer to need to argue any finer points of the battery's performance.

It seems USA and Canada have low opinions of the dealer network. UK not so bad. I have felt in Australia the Mitsubishi dealer network to be one of the better ones - they have a reputation for not being quite so hard on warranty complaints. We've had a few Mitsubishi's in our time and currently run an ASX alongside the newer Outlander PHEV. Dealer has been great so far, but I've only had the PHEV since January.

SS2115 said:
Okay - thanks for that.
I don't pretend to know or have learnt everything on the Cars own info screen and my thoughts were whether i expend the energy understanding it or going straight to WatchDog and learning it.
And then also I suppose, if I need to learn and know the extra depth level of WatchDog over the cars own info screen. Do I trust my dealer to need to argue any finer points of the battery's performance.

It seems USA and Canada have low opinions of the dealer network. UK not so bad. I have felt in Australia the Mitsubishi dealer network to be one of the better ones - they have a reputation for not being quite so hard on warranty complaints. We've had a few Mitsubishi's in our time and currently run an ASX alongside the newer Outlander PHEV. Dealer has been great so far, but I've only had the PHEV since January.
Since January is almost a year and the car has only 2-3 power and consumption info screens so basically nothing special, at least my2018.

I don't know over what finer point you plan to argue with the dealer and for what reason but from warranty point of view there is a clear margin under which the battery may be replaced, not in North America though.

Back